View Poll Results: Which WRs won't be back in 2011? (You may vote for multiple selections)

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danario Alexander

2 1.50%
  • Danny Amendola

0 0%
  • Donnie Avery

26 19.55%
  • Mark Clayton

5 3.76%
  • Brandon Gibson

41 30.83%
  • Mardy Gilyard

64 48.12%
  • Laurent Robinson

114 85.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Which WRs will be the odd men out in 2011?

Gilyard is looking like a good candidate for odd man out. In addition to all his other woes, he now can't even make the active roster and is not playing today against the Cards.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MizzouRams View Post
    I'm a Mizzou fan... LOVED Alexander obviously. Would also obviously LOVE it if he became a great player.

But all that said, this knee of his has been hurt so many times you unfortunately expect him to get it injured again. Such a shame, and I feel terrible for him.... but I would NOT feel comfortable "counting" on him.

I'd love to be wrong. He looks like the real deal when healthy.
    Fortunately, I think it's unlikely that we'll put it on him to be our #1 or anything next season. It's also worth noting that Jamal Lewis has had a good, long career--as a bruising runningback no less--after having reconstructive surgery on both knees.

As far as the comments about getting an elite tight end are concerned, I'd say we should give our guys some time to develop before making that a real priority. Illinois Mike has missed some time this season with injuries, and if you look at what other elite tight ends did in their rookie seasons, you'll probably notice that very few put up great receiving numbers. Vernon Davis was one of those phenom prospects,but it took several years in the league before he really had a breakout season.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

DA-If healthy returns
    Danny-No brainer returns
    Clayton-With very little time to work with Sam they had great chemistry as long as he isnt wanting to much $$ we should bring him bak
    Avery-I like donnie he hasnt had a QB to throw to him and he has still looked good when healthy.AS long as rehab goes good he should be bak.
    Robinson-.....probally not returning not enough production
    Marty-I personally dont like him at all he seems lost,but he is a rookie we will probably give him another shot.
    Gibson-I like him i think he has potential just needs to be more consisten i think he can earn a spot if he finishes the season strong.
    As far as next year goes i think we really do need a big play WR im talking FA/trade...we got enough young prospects we dont need to go first round on another WR.Get an established WR through FA and use the draft to fill other needs.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

As the season progresses, no way I see Gibson or Robinson getting cut. Gibson has become Bradford's go to guy, and Robinson is getting healthy and it shows ...

A friend of mine was at Arizona yesterday and said Robinson was the FASTEST player on the field. He noted at least three occasions where Robinson was open intermediate to deep and Bradford did not see him ...

Robinson has a unique skill set and physical abilities. If he can avoid the injury bug, I can see him being an impact player ...

It will continue to be unpopular here, but I really don't think this team is going to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a wide receiver, I just don't ....

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There's no way Robinson was the fastest player on the field.

It is certainly starting to look like Gilyard might be on the cut list, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There's no way Robinson was the fastest player on the field.

It is certainly starting to look like Gilyard might be on the cut list, though.
    Were you there?

Robinson ran 4.38 and 4.32 at the combine and pro day, respectively ...

Cromartie probably one of the few out there with comparable numbers ...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Were you there?

Cromartie probably one of the few out there with comparable numbers ...
    That was what? Three injuries ago? I don't like betting the farm and future on wideouts who are made of plywood, regardless of heart and paper talent.

Were you there?

I don't really care what he did before all his leg injuries. I've watched 10 games on TV and 2 in person, and I've yet to see him beat any CB down the field on a deep pattern.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

As the season progresses, no way I see Gibson or Robinson getting cut. Gibson has become Bradford's go to guy, and Robinson is getting healthy and it shows ...
    I really can't see the team carrying 6 receivers next season. In 2009, the opening day roster had only 4 receivers. In 2010, the opening day roster had a more typical 5 receivers. I don't think Spags is the type who would want to push that to six. In other words, even if Gilyard is out after one season, there's probably going to be at least one more guy who doesn't make the cut. If we were to keep Robinson and Gibson, who else is out? It's hard to imagine us deliberately cutting Amendola, especially if we already cut our next best candidate to return kicks. Do we let Clayton walk after the success he had with Bradford before he got injured?

A friend of mine was at Arizona yesterday and said Robinson was the FASTEST player on the field. He noted at least three occasions where Robinson was open intermediate to deep and Bradford did not see him ...

Robinson has a unique skill set and physical abilities. If he can avoid the injury bug, I can see him being an impact player ...
    I was all for Robinson back in early 2009 when he actually made a few big plays, but this year the only plays of his that have jumped off the screen were the deep throws that Robinson couldn't catch up to. Now I wasn't at that game, but I can't recall one time all season that I've seen Robinson just burn a corner. He has like 2 plays for more than 20 yards this season, and his longest this season was for 24. Hoomanawanui only has 13 catches on the season, and he already has 2 receptions for 25 and 36 yards respectively. I'm just saying...if Robinson is so fast, how is it that a 264-pound rookie tight end is picking up longer gains?

It will continue to be unpopular here, but I really don't think this team is going to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a wide receiver, I just don't ....
    That might be. With Fred Robbins and James Hall getting up there in years, there's certainly an argument for pro-actively addressing the defensive line. Our secondary has also looked exposed at times, so corner would be a reasonable choice, as well.

At this point, I think I'd change my vote and say Gilyard, rather than Gibson, is one of the odd men out (Robinson is the other).

Gilyard is the biggest disappointment in an otherwise great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I really can't see the team carrying 6 receivers next season. In 2009, the opening day roster had only 4 receivers. In 2010, the opening day roster had a more typical 5 receivers. I don't think Spags is the type who would want to push that to six. In other words, even if Gilyard is out after one season, there's probably going to be at least one more guy who doesn't make the cut. If we were to keep Robinson and Gibson, who else is out? It's hard to imagine us deliberately cutting Amendola, especially if we already cut our next best candidate to return kicks. Do we let Clayton walk after the success he had with Bradford before he got injured?

I was all for Robinson back in early 2009 when he actually made a few big plays, but this year the only plays of his that have jumped off the screen were the deep throws that Robinson couldn't catch up to. Now I wasn't at that game, but I can't recall one time all season that I've seen Robinson just burn a corner. He has like 2 plays for more than 20 yards this season, and his longest this season was for 24. Hoomanawanui only has 13 catches on the season, and he already has 2 receptions for 25 and 36 yards respectively. I'm just saying...if Robinson is so fast, how is it that a 264-pound rookie tight end is picking up longer gains?

That might be. With Fred Robbins and James Hall getting up there in years, there's certainly an argument for pro-actively addressing the defensive line. Our secondary has also looked exposed at times, so corner would be a reasonable choice, as well.
    Hoomanawanui's big gains came on a screen pass, and a misdirection play where he was wide open due to great play call. Bajema scored on the same play. Plus these players are typically matched up on LB's or safeties ....

Robinson is averaging 14.8 YPC last 5 games ....

At this point, Clayton, at his age, coming off a very severe knee injury, may not be around next year ...

Most don't care to see, but WCO requires WR's that are willing to get out there and block. Both Gibson and Robinson are willing to do so ...

Anyone who cannot see that Gibson factors into the equation long term in a significant role after we he shown the past six weeks is just nuts. Sorry ...

As for Gilyard, how can a 4th round WR be a dissapointment in his first season? Only if your expectations were too high ...

As for Gilyard, how can a 4th round WR be a dissapointment in his first season? Only if your expectations were too high ...
    I expected him to be on the field. Is that too much to ask?

I expected him to be on the field. Is that too much to ask?
    He is on the field. He plays special teams, and lines up on rare occasions. His production is on par with most teams 5th WR ....

First of all, he hasn't even been on the active roster for every game, much less on the field.

Second, given that he was a high 4th round draft choice, and the Rams lost two WRs to injury (Avery, Clayton), I would have expected him to be better than the 5th WR.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

First of all, he hasn't even been on the active roster for every game, much less on the field.

Second, given that he was a high 4th round draft choice, and the Rams lost two WRs to injury (Avery, Clayton), I would have expected him to be better than the 5th WR.
    Yeah, at this point, it looks like Gilyard might have a tough time earning a roster spot next year. Despite having trouble with the playbook, trouble running routes, and a flat out no confidence vote from Bradford, he still got opportunities to learn and progress on the field, but he never took advantage and has accomplished almost nothing this year. Add to that the fact that he rarely sees the field, has been inactive and hasn't even touched the ball since week 6 against the Chargers (1 catch, 1 return), and his prospects do not look good IMO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast