Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    schut39 is offline Registered User

Wyche: Atogwe won’t sign tender with Rams

Oshiomogho Atogwe is one of the more interesting names among restricted free agents. He was extended the low tender offer by the Rams, giving the team only the right of first refusal on its starting strong safety. From the outset, it was a situation we knew would reach a conclusion about now.

NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche told “NFL Total Access” on Monday that Atogwe will not sign his tender. That decision increases the likelihood that Atogwe will be someone else’s starting strong safety next season.

The key date in the whole scenario is June 1. The Rams continue to hold exclusive negotiating rights with Atogwe and can try to sign him to a long-term deal. On June 1, because the Rams tendered Atogwe at $1.226 million (significantly less than his 2009 salary), they hold the option of extending an offer at 110 percent of his salary (nearly $7 million) to retain his rights or releasing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Atogwe, who played under a $6.3 million franchise tag in 2009, ended the season by missing the final four games with a shoulder injury. Time is running out, and we’ll soon find out if the Rams — who acquired Kevin Payne from the Bears last month — have completely closed the door on Atogwe.

NFL Network

harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Wyche: Atogwe won’t sign tender with Rams

So I guess there is now no possibility that we can trade him? Too bad...

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

No way they pay 7 mil for a safety. I can't even think of a safety worth that ... and that's no disrespect towards OJ. Great guy and good safety. Just sayin' .... 7 mil?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    No way they pay 7 mil for a safety. I can't even think of a safety worth that ...
    Uhhhh, Troy Polamalu minus the injuries.

On topic: Yea Atogwe's an outstanding safety but if he's asking for an overpayment, then we'll have to attain our services elsewhere.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

The Rams still have this month to resign him. I would be a bit disappointed of the Rams released Atogwe, despite some of his struggles against the run, his play making abilities helped the Rams stay in the game when things got rough. Sure Payne might pan out alright, but as of now Atogwe is the most prove, solid safety on the roster.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    The Rams still have this month to resign him. I would be a bit disappointed of the Rams released Atogwe, despite some of his struggles against the run, his play making abilities helped the Rams stay in the game when things got rough. Sure Payne might pan out alright, but as of now Atogwe is the most prove, solid safety on the roster.
    Can't ignore the fact that he's still rehabbing a shoulder injury, apparently is suffering from a hernia (i forget where), and is asking to be one of the highest paid safeties in the league at 28, coming off of injuries, and after a down year.

As much as Rams fans like to praise Atogwe, he isn't irreplaceable and needs to get with the program or get lost.

I'd love to have him back, but it sounds like he's making it hard..

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Okay Flip. Polamalu. I'll give you that one.

Betcha can't name another.

Warner4prez Guest

Ed Reed?

If Atogwe walks this team is basically devoid of a real FS then, correct? Payne was brought in, but I believe he's more of an in-the-box SS and I thought the same label applied to Craig Dahl. I suppose Spags could shift Butler to FS and let the other two guys share time at SS, but then you have a player out of position and who knows how that'd work out.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche told “NFL Total Access” on Monday that Atogwe will not sign his tender. That decision increases the likelihood that Atogwe will be someone else’s starting strong safety next season.
    Except for the fact that he's a free safety, not a guy you would want to put in the box for run support.

Atogwe, who played under a $6.3 million franchise tag in 2009, ended the season by missing the final four games with a shoulder injury. Time is running out, and we’ll soon find out if the Rams — who acquired Kevin Payne from the Bears last month — have completely closed the door on Atogwe.
    Warner4prez is right, Payne is more of a factor with Butler rather than Atogwe. In any case, I like O.J., but he's still got some deficiencies in his game and coming off an injury, he's not worth what he seems to be looking for. I'll be surprised if he get's that kind of money from any team. I've read that Dallas is interested, but are balking at the dollars. Guess we'll see what's going to happen soon.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If he leaves, its just more of the same folks. Ownership in transition, no real attempt apparantly to sign him to a long term deal. Tried to get away on the cheap with the lowest level tender. We would be looking at a significant downgrade positionally and creating another hole on the defense that is already highly suspect. Until we get a real owner, dont look for any real serious financial moves.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Considering how cheaply the Rams have spent the offseason, I wouldn't rule out the Rams getting him signed to a contract. I said last December that it was possible they would let him walk. He's about to turn 29. For a FS, they usually peak at 28 and begin the slide. Seriously overpaying him for 1 more season and letting him walk THEN isn't out of the question.

The article saying he's a SS is a joke. But the Rams have David Roach and Craig Dahl has played some FS. They could also sign Ken Hamlin.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

If OJ goes FA, I would suspect a "not St Louis discount" in his next contract wherever he lands. He probably wants out for all the reasons GC wrote above.
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

How is this news? We've known for months that Atogwe was not going to sign the tender.

I don't agree that this has anything to do with the ownership situation. The Rams have been unable to sign Atogwe to a long-term deal for two years now (last year they used the franchise tag). Clearly, he (and his agent) are setting the price too high.

If Atogwe is not reasonable, the Rams can either use the stop-gap of paying him 110% of his 2009 salary or let him go. Craig Dahl played well last year when Atogwe was out and, as Rebel Yell noted, Hamlin could be a cheaper option.

itsguud is offline Registered User

This sucks but at the same time it seems necessary. The biggest downfall is if we lose him and don't get anything for him. Would be nice if he signed his tender so we could trade for something.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    Okay Flip. Polamalu. I'll give you that one.

Betcha can't name another.
    Bob Sanders minus the errors

In regards of Atogwe not signing the tender I think he is just trying to put presure on the Rams to get a deal done where he gets as much money as possible. I hope we can keep him here. But I agree 7 million would be to high a price for him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast