Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By MauiRam
  • 1 Post By RealRam
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 2 Post By MauiRam

Thread: Ya Just Never Know ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ya Just Never Know ..

One of the 1999 GSOT's greatest assets was having the option of spreading the ball around to some really talented players.( Bruce, Holt, Faulk, Az, Proehl, Conwell, Holcomb, Amp Lee and so on) When opposing defenses tried to nullify one guy, Warner simply went to someone else. For a while opposing defenses really were forced to pick their poison trying to defend the Rams. It appears Jeff Fisher may have taken notes judging from this year's draft harvest.

Sam Bradford is an extremely intense competitor. Those of you who have attended games at the Dome and stood along the "gauntlet" as the players entered prior to games have no doubt seen that look of intensity on his face when entering. Additionally he’s a quick study. How frustrating must the last few years have been for him?! If you think back and realize how much better the Rams were just when Danny A. was healthy and on the field, it is remarkable. Danny and “Jack” were the backbone of our offense. Sure there were other occasional contributors, but the only guy that scared anyone was maybe Givens. Not a lot of options for Sam.

Fast forward to this year, same offensive scheme (for the 1st time in his pro career), and some honest to God talent to utilize around him – I’d guess Sam’s pretty excited about now.

Recently Jerry Jones made the news as frequently he is wont to do, by saying he desires more input from Tony Schmomo regarding offensive game planning, and installing/calling plays. Way to go Jerry! At least you’re consistent in undermining your head coaches.

The Rams appear to be embracing a similar role for Sam, however, this is coming from our coaching staff, not the owner/GM. Sam will be encouraged to take over the offense now that he’s had some experience. Couple that with a large infusion of talented new skill players on offense, and this team may make a mega-leap in scoring. It is certainly not impossible.

No huddle, spread, pro-style, hybrid, all that good stuff should be forthcoming this year. Sammy will have increased freedom to mix and match as the season unfolds. I hope and pray Jake Long will be healthy in time for the regular season along with Saffold. We could really surprise people this year. No – I’m not making predictions, but last year I wasn’t expecting us to do as well as we did. We just didn’t have the horsepower on offense – not even on paper. This year 10 wins doesn’t sound completely out of the question. I am not saying we are going to win 10 games. Rather, if we did win ten, I wouldn't be totally shocked. Ten wins would have sounded preposterous to me at the outset of last year. Ten wins would have sounded outrageously optimistic to me back at the beginning of the 1999 season too. The 2013 roster is at least the best we've looked on paper in a while. So? Ya just never know ..

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Ya Just Never Know ..

VERY encouraging.

The Rams arsenal has increased significantly and hopefully will fire w/ a big bang in 2013.

Let's do this!
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Well stated Maui. I agree with your points about Sam now becoming in charge of the offense. He's a student of the game and will be likely very good at his reads. With our new arsenal of weapons that will be very important for him to see his checkdowns. I just hope these "weapons" get adjusted quickly in training camp so they enter the season with some experience working together. In truth our biggest hurdle in my mind is inexperience.

Yes, 10 wins is not out of the question, we just need to make sure we win the games we're supposed to win. No dumb losses like to the Jets and Dolphins.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam and DE_Ramfan like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    No dumb losses like to the Jets and Dolphins.Go Rams!
    You would have to bring up the Jets .. I couldn't make the bash last year, but I did want to see a game in the Lou. The Jets game fit in my schedule, and it seemed, at the time, a very winnable game - perhaps even one of the most winnable on our schedule. Regrettably I conveyed this opinion rather strongly to my wife, and .. well never mind. It's a good thing I wasn't in Vegas where I could have damaged myself even further. I'm still pissed off about that one ...
    live4ramin and mde8352gorams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I'm still pissed off about that one ...
    You and me both!! My son who still lives in NY (I am a former NY'er) is a Jets fan is tired of hearing my grumbling about that game.

Go Rams!

PARamfan is offline Registered User

The Jets game was the absolute low point of last years season without a doubt.