txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ya know...3-13 turned out a blessing

Think about it. This team was starting to age. Bruce was getting close to joining Glover and Chavous for the AARP committee. Pace has seen quite a few battles in the trenches. McCollum and Timmerman get a dollar off a haircut on Wednesday's because it was Senior Citizens day. Well, tongue in cheek humor aside, this team needed a youth movement. It's difficult when you go 8-8 year in and year out because you draft in the middle way too often and teams like Arizona cherry pick all the most talented youth and get better than you.

So, by the Rams going 3-13 it allowed them to do the cherry picking this year. They took the lumps last year and may just go through some growing pains again this year BUT, the light at the end of the tunnel is fast approaching and it isn't an oncoming train. This team is lucky that the draft is stocked up top. The Rams will get instantly better by May and then hopefully the draft next year is just as good for us. If the Rams win in 2008 it will be from overacheiving BUT if the Rams win in 2009 it will be because this team has improved over the last three years and will be a force in the NFC West.

So, those of you who want to win this year cool. So do I. However, 2009 is looking better to me and I can't wait.

keith m. klink Guest

Re: Ya know...3-13 turned out a blessing

i might not even be on this planet in 2009 , heck the planet might not be on this planet in 2009 .. i would like some solid progress this year with the younger guy's , but would still like 1 or 2 of the old vet's to be replaced before camp .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Come to think about it, that is true. We did need to pick up some talent. After we went 0-8, I was excited for the draft. I'm definately glad (in a way) that we went that low. We have a chance to get some great talent with the second pick of each round.

We got Pace in the first pick of the draft, and he has done an amazing job. Let's just hope whomever we pick second has a similar impact as well. I just hope its not Dorsey...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    The Rams will get instantly better by May and then hopefully the draft next year is just as good for us.
    You still see us drafting in the top 5 next year ... right Tx?

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

It really was, TX.

As painful as last year was, had we remained healthy, I still don't see more than 8-9 wins, and an early exit in the playoffs, (if we even made it). And Linehan probably would not have had o make any drastic changes.

NOW however, we really are getting a fresh start, and as TX pointed out, have finally begun the necessary rebuiding.

As great as it was, and the fact that it will NEVER be forgotten by any of us, the GSOT is gone - those days are over - and it's time to redefine and mold this team into whatever it's destined to become.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Wolf is offline Registered User

Last year was rough, but with the bad, there comes good. I don't care about making the Super Bowl this year. Sure, I'd be overwhelmed with a playoff appearance, but any signs of improvement, I'm fine with.

Lets bring in the youth, fellas.

Keenum is offline Registered User

This is a sign of contentment for Rams fans, a sign I've seen with many average teams over a long period of time... do NOT fall in to that mentality!
    You should NEVER be satisfied with a season unless you win the championship; anything less than winning that is a failure.
    Yes, you can say some good will come from it, but 3-13 is nowhere near a blessing, it's a disaster for that year.
    I would much rather have won the Super Bowl with a dysfuntional, old, and poorly-coached team than go 4-12 or so with a class-act team, know what I mean?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    This is a sign of contentment for Rams fans, a sign I've seen with many average teams over a long period of time... do NOT fall in to that mentality!
    You should NEVER be satisfied with a season unless you win the championship; anything less than winning that is a failure.
    Yes, you can say some good will come from it, but 3-13 is nowhere near a blessing, it's a disaster for that year.
    I would much rather have won the Super Bowl with a dysfuntional, old, and poorly-coached team than go 4-12 or so with a class-act team, know what I mean?
    I have to agree,I wouldn't call a 3-13 season a blessing although I will say some good may come out of it.

ebbs and flows fans....ebbs and flows. Can't be successful every year. It's economically unfeasible. Your roster gets crow picked by everyone wanting to get better. Your draft selection is near the bottom and the bad teams get the best young talent.

The worst thing that can happen to a team is to go 8-8 year in and year out. You get stuck at average. I'd rather go 12-4, 12-4, 13-3, then 3-13.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    ebbs and flows fans....ebbs and flows. Can't be successful every year. It's economically unfeasible. Your roster gets crow picked by everyone wanting to get better. Your draft selection is near the bottom and the bad teams get the best young talent.

The worst thing that can happen to a team is to go 8-8 year in and year out. You get stuck at average. I'd rather go 12-4, 12-4, 13-3, then 3-13.
    I don't know the Patriots, Colts and Seahawks have done a nice job of staying competitive for a while now. I'd much rather be stuck in the "make the playoffs" every season mode than the drastic ebbs and flows.

That's because those teams have a solid front office. It isn't because the Rams didn't have the players, it's because the Rams didn't have football people making the smart decisions.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-08-2008, 05:25 PM