Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: YES! JT: Schottenheimer on Rams Radar as OC candidate

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: YES! JT: Schottenheimer on Rams Radar as OC candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    No I'm not going to say they won with the O not at all... but I won't say they did nothing..
    I'm thinking in terms of what Fisher has done and most likely about him. in 2009 they lead the league in rushing. In 2010 they finished fourth in the league in rushing, They had a ball control run first offense pass second... kind of what Fisher has done in the past. This year they tried to open it up and it was not good.

I can see why Fisher has him as a candidate... I think some of us need to realize with fisher it's going to be "ground chuck". In 2009 the Jets where first in rushing followed by guess who the Titans.
    That is fine and good, I support a west coast ground and pound offense. The point is we can do better than the much maligned schotty. We have pieces to build around on offense, notably Bradford, there is no reason for us to settle for a second rate OC.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

dam what do you guys want in an OC? a Pat Shurmur type where he wanted him gone because of his conservativeness...Or a McDaniels type a proven offensive genius with a complex system who we didnt want because our team was not built for it

Or Shotty the man in the middle between a Shurmur-Mcdaniels

Look at how stingy our D in the first 3 quarters the game is always close kinda like the Jets D but Shotty knows how to put some points on the board with his offensive scheme

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I can't say this would be a hire that excites me. Being from NJ, I see a lot of the Jets games and I was never impressed with how he called plays. Sure, it might be that he was short changed by Sanchez's abilities, or lack thereof. Nonetheless, I don't really see why Schottenheimer would be the answer to our offensive problems. But, I'll trust, like I would with any other coach, that they know the right people to hire so that the philosophies of the coordinators mesh.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not incredibly excited by this news. The Jets' passing game has been mediocre-to-poor the last three years, and Sanchez hasn't really developed as a quarterback very much. Perhaps that's on Sanchez more than Schottenheimer, but I'm still a bit apprehensive.
    Varg6 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, I don't think Sanchez has Bradford's physical skills.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm a bit concerned about a couple of these names I'm hearing. On the offensive side, we really have to get a quality guy in there as OC, as Fisher's expertise lies on the defensive side of the ball. Schottenheimer doesn't inspire a lot of confidence given what Sanchez and the Jets did this season despite a decent receiving coprs. Of equal concern is the anticipated "ground chuck" approach we might see. I have no problem with that type of offense, but exactly how much more does Steven Jackson have left in the tank? Would this approach mean we may pass on Blackmon and take a guy like Trent Richardson? Getting way ahead of myself here, but they are legitimate questions.

And while I like the idea of Gregg Williams as DC, I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up the fact that the New Orleans defense was less than stellar all year and made Alex Smith look like Johnny Unitas today. Terrible.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-14-2012 at 11:19 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Absolutely horrible candidate, but hey, its not like I called this a week ago or anything (not to bask in my own glory )

" Im telling you this will happen very soon :

HC: Jeff Fisher
    GM: Lake Dawson
    OC: Brian Schottenheimer

Looks like a real possibility. Im not absolutely a die hard of this, but whatever. It may very well happen, and if it does, you heard it here first! "

Ahh yes.. How did I know? I sure hope we dont hire Schotty... This guy has had really talented teams with NYJ and their offense has been horrendous. Plax, Santonio, Keller, Shonn Greene, LT, and this guy cant be successful? I mean.. cmon.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This would be a great hire IMO... Bradford has more talent then Sanchez and I can say that with all respect to Sanchez being a USC fan. They asked Sanchez to do more this year and he just could not deliver. I hope we hirer a QB coach as well...
    This doesn't make sense to me. I know this is the popular narrative, but he had his best season thus far statistically. Threw for 3,500 yards and 26 TD's. Bradford hasn't thrown for 26 TD's in his career yet. They scored more points per game this year than last, but they also struggled to run the ball and their defense ended up giving up a lot more points than in previous years. And, that place is a zoo. How is it that Sanchez is the one who couldn't deliver, but Bradford is somebody who can or will?

In any event, I'll be fine if they hire Schottenheimer. This is all Fisher's baby now. We know where the accountability is. It won't be anywhere but on Fisher, and I think that's probably preferable to how it's been or where it's been in the past.

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

Ahh yes.. How did I know? I sure hope we dont hire Schotty... This guy has had really talented teams with NYJ and their offense has been horrendous. Plax, Santonio, Keller, Shonn Greene, LT, and this guy cant be successful? I mean.. cmon.
    Plax 36 year old WR who spent the previous two years in prison. Not the same NY Giants Plax that you seem to think they had.

Holmes a total head case that already got run off the Steelers and would the Jets now if not for the contract.

LT has been washed up for years now. Not the LT of the Chargers that you seem to think they had.

Greene a slow between the tackles pounder. Nothing special.

Keller is okay.

Environment there, a zoo.

Not a lot there to be very successful with.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Plax 36 year old WR who spent the previous two years in prison. Not the same NY Giants Plax that you seem to think they had.

Holmes a total head case that already got run off the Steelers and would the Jets now if not for the contract.

LT has been washed up for years now. Not the LT of the Chargers that you seem to think they had.

Greene a slow between the tackles pounder. Nothing special.

Keller is okay.

Environment there, a zoo.

Not a lot there to be very successful with.
    The Shonn Greene whos averaged 4.3 YPC over his career, totally average.

LT is still an excellent pass catcher coming out of the backfield.

Keller is a solid TE.

Holmes may be a head case, but the guys a clutch big play WR.

Not the same Plax, but he outplayed tons of WR's in the NFL with 600+ yards and 8 TD's.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me. I know this is the popular narrative, but he had his best season thus far statistically. Threw for 3,500 yards and 26 TD's. Bradford hasn't thrown for 26 TD's in his career yet. They scored more points per game this year than last, but they also struggled to run the ball and their defense ended up giving up a lot more points than in previous years. And, that place is a zoo. How is it that Sanchez is the one who couldn't deliver, but Bradford is somebody who can or will?
    Sanchez did throw for 3500 yards this year but he also had 18 INT, 10 fumbles and lost 8 and a QB rating of 78.2.

How is it that Sanchez is the one who couldn't deliver, but Bradford is somebody who can or will?
    It's really just my take... but I think Bradford has a bigger arm, is smarter then Sanchez when it comes to football IQ, and has a better work ethic.

Not that I agree with players throwing him under the bus but his teammates seem to think he does not have it.

"We have to bring in another quarterback that will make him work at practice," said one player. "He's lazy and content because he knows he's not going to be benched."

"How can we when he's not improving at all?" [another teammate said, when asked if the Jets can hoist the Lombardi Trophy with Sanchez]. "He thinks he is, but he's not. He has shown us what he's capable of."

"So many games, he looked defeated before he ever took the field," a team source said. "He didn't have much confidence in what he was about to go do. You could tell throughout the week in practice. He never felt comfortable with some of the things we were doing. It was too much for him."

[When asked whether the team should go after quarterback Peyton Manning with everything they could, age and injury situations and all, the answer was definite.] "Come on. That's a no-brainer," a Jets source said. "If you have a chance to get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning and you don't do it, then you're stupid. If I could get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning, then, hell yeah, I would trade Sanchez."

[One player agreed]. "We already have [Manning's former] coach — [ex-Colts offensive coordinator] Tom Moore," one well-respected player said. "Plus, he's a field general and will get everyone lined up. He will get his playmakers the ball. We can win a Super Bowl with Peyton."
    I hear only positive things about Bradford in the sense that all he wants is to be the best QB he can be. I think he is one of those guys with not only the talent but he is driven and will put in the work to be an elite QB IMO.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

For what it's worth, here's the general attitude of Jets fans:

New York Jets’ fans finally got our wish! After six seasons with the Jets, Brian Schottenheimer is moving on.
    Schottenheimer personally decided not to return next season. He recognized that in the six seasons he’d been with the Jets, there was no more left for him to accomplish. In fact, he was once looked upon as a young talented coach, but the past couple of seasons have done nothing but reverse the positive perception of someone with a career on the rise and tarnish his image. As a result, Schottenheimer made a game-changing decision we can all agree with, finally!
    First off, as expected Brian Schottenheimer was let go as offensive coordinator. It is being painted as a resignation but common sense here people, the Jets pushed him out the door. This is a move that will be celebrated by 99.9% of Jets fans and was the proper thing to do.
    There are countless times during a Jet game when they are on offense when you could tweet something like “I hate Brian Schottenheimer”. That’s because, despite probably being a really nice guy who you’d like to play golf with, Brian Schottenheimer is a bad offensive coordinator.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    For what it's worth, here's the general attitude of Jets fans:
    Welcome to NY media...

As a NJ native, whenever I tune into local radio they bash this guy. He is the scapegoat, plain and simple. Love you when your winning, hate you when your losing. I love how they turn on this guy after back-back AFC championships. The overhaul they are making on there coaching staff is laughable. What a mess of an environment to work in. Jets fans are going to regret this firing, mark my words. They made the wrong guy the scapegoat. And now they are begging for Manning, as if he would ever step foot in that hell hold. I called this a few days ago when I made my opinion post before he was even a candidate... I hope it gets done.

We shall see though.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think Schottenheimer gets a lot of hate from Jets fans for things that aren't his fault. Any OC would have a hard time getting something good out of a team with so much internal strife.

To me, it seems like ownership and Rex Ryan let certain players get away with too much, and so they don't try. Especially Sanchez and Holmes.

I would be interested to see what Schottenheimer can do with a team that wants to play ball. And this Rams team will want to play ball. Bradford has a great attitude for a QB. Jackson is the perfect team captain. Schottenheimer hasn't had players like this in his seasons in New York

I'm not saying he will be great, but i think he gets criticised for things where he really didn't have a chance. So i wouldn't be upset with this hire until i see bad results on the field
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Ok, He might not be a bad hire. But you gotta agree he is not the best candidate possible out there right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast