Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Was yesterday's D scheme change situational, or the new norm?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Was yesterday's D scheme change situational, or the new norm?

The Rams' defensive approach yesterday was very different from what we saw earlier in the system. Rather than playing off the WRs, dropping LBs and (seemingly) overprotecting the safeties, the Rams spent most of the game with 8 in the box and the CBs at the line of scrimmage challenging the WRs. Apart from the one big play to Golden Tate (which was as lucky as it was good), it worked like a charm.

My question is... was this something that the Rams drew up specifically for the Hawks, or is it the new standard scheme for the Rams' D?

Certainly, the scheme makes sense for defending the Seahawks. With 8 in the box, the Rams were able to minimize the running game of Marshawk Lynch, and also left Russell Wilson with few opportunities to hurt the Rams on the ground. Moreover, the Seahawks' WRs are not exactly All-Pros, so one on one press coverage was feasible.

Would this approach work against other teams?

My answer is: why not?

How many teams are so dangerous at WR that this approach - with the Rams getting after the QB on a regular basis - would not work? I'll even accept the occasional big play to a WR in exchange for lots of 3 and outs and sacks.

I also think yesterday was instructive as to how the Rams should continue building their defense. I strongly feel that the Rams should use at least 2 of their first 4 selections on DBs. Its a simple formula: the better the DBs are, the more we can afford to load the box and set up camp in opposing backfields.

I will be very curious to see if the Rams continue to use this approach. I hope they do.
    thoey likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Was yesterday's D scheme change situational, or the new norm?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My question is... was this something that the Rams drew up specifically for the Hawks, or is it the new standard scheme for the Rams' D?
    I don't know, but I like it and I hope it's the new standard scheme. It plays to the strengths of our defense, and will really put the pressure on QB's like Kaepernick, who are not going to control a game with their arms.

citr92 is offline Registered User

it should be somewhat situational

stacking 8 in the box every game is a bit too aggressive imo

7 is fine lol

but this is how the D should be, and even with the same coordinator, this scheme alone helps this defense plays how they should....running AT the line rather than AWAY from it

the D will make adjustments for different teams of course

but i hope this is the new norm

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't know, but I like it and I hope it's the new standard scheme. It plays to the strengths of our defense, and will really put the pressure on QB's like Kaepernick, who are not going to control a game with their arms.
    it's like what happened with USC

with monte you'd see the D get torched for playing soft like the previous 7 games, just look at the cowboys this year

then with a new DC, I think only nickell robey and TJ McDonald were replaced on defense and the rest just gained a year in experience and the D has played lights out minus one game
    bruce4life likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I think this was situational, Seattle has always been a run-first team and we took that away from them. We'll most likely end up seeing this scheme again with the Titans and it should be just as effective with Locker's questionable accuracy.

My question is if Jeff Fisher or Tim Walton was pulling the strings

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

One thing I mentioned to a co-worker today was that it appeared that the Hawks didn't even try to hold/mug/tackle CLong and RQuinn. IMO, the only reason these guys don't have twice the sacks that they already have is because all the mugging the officials allow their opponents to get away with.

If CLong and RQuinn can continue to play without being held, they will do a better job stopping the run (tackles for loss) and getting to the QB. This will also open things up for Brockers, Hayes, and others to get into the fun.

gap

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I really want it to be a permanent scheme change. A lot of fans has wanted this exact change since the beginning of the year, and I think this is pretty good indicator that it could work. Unfortunately, my gut tells me that it'll be temporary. I really hope I'm wrong, but we have yet to see the no-huddle in any form as a change-of-pace (well, moot point now), despite how effective it was. This makes me think that even if it makes logical sense to just about everyone to run this defense, I'm guessing next Sunday we'll be back to playing off coverage.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    One thing I mentioned to a co-worker today was that it appeared that the Hawks didn't even try to hold/mug/tackle CLong and RQuinn. IMO, the only reason these guys don't have twice the sacks that they already have is because all the mugging the officials allow their opponents to get away with.

If CLong and RQuinn can continue to play without being held, they will do a better job stopping the run (tackles for loss) and getting to the QB. This will also open things up for Brockers, Hayes, and others to get into the fun.

gap
    It was great that Quinn and Long did what they did BUT it was against 2nd string tackles as the starters for the Seahawks were injured and couldn't play. Quinn and Long were beating those guys almost untouched they were so bad. It would be nice if the Rams could do that game in game out but I wouldn't draw too many conclusions on the state of the Rams D given the quality of the offensive line the Rams faced which was at best horrible. They looked like the Rams offensive line from the last few seasons.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    Keep it going, PLEASE!

If our DBs can take the added pressure and responsibility, make the Rams D tough against the run as they did vs C-hags.

Somewhere yesterday I mentioned that the Rams D did a decent job; wrong - it was downright excellent!

Come on RAMS DEEE!!!
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-30-2013 at 01:50 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think we may see some of it against Tennessee because they would seem to run a similar offense, but past that I can't say for sure.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

I think it was situational....The Seahawks don't exactly have studs at WR position.

I loved the aggressive approach but not sure it will work all the time. Leaves the back end open for big plays.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I think it was situational....The Seahawks don't exactly have studs at WR position.

I loved the aggressive approach but not sure it will work all the time. Leaves the back end open for big plays.
    You may be right, but it really opened my eyes to a possible approach for next year's draft.

Let's say the Rams added a top-notch CB (i.e. Purifoy) and S (i.e. Clinton-Dix) with their two top picks. Would they, added to a defensive backfield with Jenkins, Johnson and McDonald, be able to cover at the line of scrimmage and in "center field" well enough to allow the Rams to play 7 and 8 man fronts on a regular basis?

The concept intrigues me.

emuen is online now Registered User

What is the normal time it takes for DB's to get settled in? If they can play at a high level from the beginning I'm all for it, but the secondary is really young as it is. The quality of the safety play hasn't really dropped with McDonalds injury, but he will hopefully be back this season and get some more games under his belt.

I'd say that quality DBs typically hit the ground running, more so than many other positions.

In the scheme I envision, McDonald would spend a lot of time "in the box," where he excels, while a guy like Clinton-Dix would be the "center fielder."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You may be right, but it really opened my eyes to a possible approach for next year's draft.

Let's say the Rams added a top-notch CB (i.e. Purifoy) and S (i.e. Clinton-Dix) with their two top picks. Would they, added to a defensive backfield with Jenkins, Johnson and McDonald, be able to cover at the line of scrimmage and in "center field" well enough to allow the Rams to play 7 and 8 man fronts on a regular basis?

The concept intrigues me.
    Intrigued and excited at the same time for me. Fisher said on his show they used some old Bears 46 defense. That's what the game looked like to me. The Rams dominated on the defensive side of the ball.

I think once Fisher get all the parts in place we will have a fairly aggressive and dominating defense.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast