throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday's game proved some points in the old Warner/Bulger debate...

Kurt Warner, playing against a defense that put no pressure on him and inexperienced DBs playing 10 yards off the ball: QB Rating 115.9

What does this prove?

It proves that, with time to throw, Kurt Warner can still be a very effective QB. In fact, if he was on a team that consistently protects the QB, I'd say he could lead a very successful team as a starter.

That said...

Marc Bulger, playing against a defense that was blitzing him constantly and with success due to poor blitz pick-ups: QB Rating 134.7

What does this prove?

It proves that the Rams picked the right QB.

That said...

Bulger left the game with an injured shoulder and will likely miss a block of games for the third time in 2 years.

What does this prove?

It proves that until the Rams find a way to balance their playcalling in a manner that keeps the defense from sending everyone to crush the QB, no QB will be safe in this offense.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Yesterday's game proved some points in the old Warner/Bulger debate...

Excellent points indeed !!

I tell you, it is appropriately called Martz Madness. The guy is insane and his offense eats good QBs like a frog eats flies.

general counsel is offline Registered User

bulger is fantastic. I agree with you on warner, given the right tools pass protection and some running game, he can clearly be effective.

His complete lack of mobility doesnt hurt him against the rams who dont get in the same area code as the qb.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tonyt1203 Guest

But Kurt won the game!! and a SuperBowl, what has Marc won ????

general counsel is offline Registered User

What has he won? My undying respect. Warner didnt "win" the superbowl on his own. The rams won as a team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt1203
    Kurt did some wonderful things for this franchise. No doubt about it. In fact, I still wear my 13 jersey with pride.

Having said that, right now, with this team, who would you want at QB? He has a better O-line in Arizona that Bulger has here. If he were still here, he'd be in a coma by now. Don't be fooled by yesterday's game. Warner was handed a gift by Larry Marmie, and KW exploited it as a good QB should. Bulger would have done the same had roles been reversed.

Warner would have been hammered into retirement behind our O-line.........hopefully the same isn't true of Bulger.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Kurt Warner, playing against a defense that put no pressure on him and inexperienced DBs playing 10 yards off the ball: QB Rating 115.9

What does this prove?

It proves that, with time to throw, Kurt Warner can still be a very effective QB. In fact, if he was on a team that consistently protects the QB, I'd say he could lead a very successful team as a starter.

That said...

Marc Bulger, playing against a defense that was blitzing him constantly and with success due to poor blitz pick-ups: QB Rating 134.7

What does this prove?

That said...

Bulger left the game with an injured shoulder and will likely miss a block of games for the third time in 2 years.

What does this prove?

It proves that until the Rams find a way to balance their playcalling in a manner that keeps the defense from sending everyone to crush the QB, no QB will be safe in this offense.
    Here is the thing they did not need to pick a QB they had both and Marc would have been fine as our back up. Now we have a guy who can't take a hit and we have no back up. Warner was just like Marc when he was getting hit and when he had time well two SB we went to. How mwnay have we been too lately. Avenger the way you feel about Martz is how I felt about Warner, don't let him go! We have gone down hill fast ever since. Warner would have found his game if he was given a chance to play. We would have had both guys now we may not even have one if Marc get hurt ever time he get hit. I hope this is not the case, Marc needs to take the rest of the year off and if it happens again next year that would be three years in a row hope that is not the case.

Rams13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    What does this prove?

I disagree, but I won't restart a debate that has been dead for a long time now. Warner is gone and I accepted this a long time ago, what I'm not accepting is that Bulger is as good as people make him out to be.

Rams13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt1203
    Short and to the point. :up:

Rams13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Warner would have found his game if he was given a chance to play. We would have had both guys now we may not even have one if Marc get hurt ever time he get hit. I hope this is not the case, Marc needs to take the rest of the year off and if it happens again next year that would be three years in a row hope that is not the case.
    Very well said. The two years Warner was healthy enough to play every game we went to the Super Bowl, that's a big enough stat to sell me on the guy. Anyhow I wish Bulger all the success when he's our starter, but I'd much rather go a different direction.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rams13
    but I'd much rather go a different direction.
    What direction would that be?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

Before I start let me say I like Warner and I like Bulger. I appreciate everything Warner did.

The problem with the whole Warner-Bulger debate is the Pro Warner people say well Kurt won us a superbowl what has Marc done?

Newsflash Warner didnt win the superbowl alone. He had a great team around him. Bulger has had a good team around him, but they arent as good as we were 99-01. So Bulger has done more with less, Faulk has lost a step since Bulger started. Without the 99 Faulk we would have NEVER won a superbowl.

Warner had good field position with Horne and Hakim, Bulger hasn't benefited from that. Warner had a better defense, our recent defense is pathetic.

So with that being said Bulger has done more with less. People need to come to realize that we aren't the GSOT anymore and haven't been in a long time. Warner had the GSOT around him. Bulger has never had the GSOT around him.
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    What has he won? My undying respect. Warner didnt "win" the superbowl on his own. The rams won as a team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

But, now some are saying that MB was the right QB!........How in the world can anyone say this?........They shouldn't!....The line play sux and it does tear our qb's up! MB or KW with the right Oline could easily win anywere! but, for anyone to say that MB is better,I'd have ask may i have some of the drugs you are taking?............LOL

talkstoangels61 Guest

Before I start let me say I like Warner and I like Bulger. I appreciate everything Warner did.

The problem with the whole Warner-Bulger debate is the Pro Warner people say well Kurt won us a superbowl what has Marc done?

Newsflash Warner didnt win the superbowl alone. He had a great team around him. Bulger has had a good team around him, but they arent as good as we were 99-01. So Bulger has done more with less, Faulk has lost a step since Bulger started. Without the 99 Faulk we would have NEVER won a superbowl.

Warner had good field position with Horne and Hakim, Bulger hasn't benefited from that. Warner had a better defense, our recent defense is pathetic.

So with that being said Bulger has done more with less. People need to come to realize that we aren't the GSOT anymore and haven't been in a long time. Warner had the GSOT around him. Bulger has never had the GSOT around him.

Okay.I'll give you that but, without Kurt we would have never made it to the Superbowl now would we? actually Marc has had all the fire power that a qb would need to get to the Superbowl again! Just didnt have a line like we did in 99'.........Play calling got much worse and MM has made some bone head decisions!..........Drafting Qb's to have them play safety and wr!.............C'mon guys this is the NFL. you cannot waste drafts picks over and over for experiments!
    Last edited by talkstoangels61; -11-22-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Okay.I'll give you that but, without Kurt we would have never made it to the Superbowl now would we?
    Considering the pre season that Trent Green was having before he went down to injury by that cheapshot artist Rodney Harrison, there is nothing to suggest that Trent Green couldn't have won a Super Bowl with that 99 team. People forget Trent Green was on FIRE before he went down.

And still I'm not taking anything away from Warner, but like I said above he had a better team around him then Bulger has ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast