MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Yesterday's post press conference comments ..

Post Practice – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – 9/16/10

(Opening remarks)
    “Not a lot to report injury-wise, just really two things. (DT) Darell Scott, I don’t know if you saw, he got dinged out there with his knee. (Head Athletic Trainer) Reggie (Scott) has got him in there. We’ll find out where he’s at. (DT) Cliff Ryan was not here. Last night he got…he felt ill. Not really sure what he’s got going on. He went to the hospital. He called Reggie this morning. They’re kind of over there doing a bunch of battery tests, so we won’t really know until we get out of here and Reggie contacts Cliff or whoever he saw. So I don’t really have anything on that right now. (CB) Kevin (Dockery) didn’t go at all. (WR) Laurent Robinson got in there and got a little bit of playing time and (CB) Justin King did basically individual and then Reggie worked with him. Other than that, I thought it was a pretty up-tempo practice. We’re into Thursday, tomorrow we’ll do a lot of red zone, and before you know it we’re playing the game.”

(On if Ryan went to the hospital for tests this morning or stayed overnight)
    “He stayed overnight, but what he did was he - I talked to him this morning, Reggie talked to him this morning – he woke up, he had a headache, he didn’t feel good, he didn’t, you know, the whole deal. So he went over to the hospital then he…but they kept him over there, and then when I talked to him this morning he was still there so I’ll know more this afternoon.”

(On newly acquired LB Bryan Kehl)
    “Yeah, Bryan Kehl from New York. Actually, I was in New York when he was a rookie in ’08. Unfortunately, you guys know what happened to (LB) Josh Hull. He went on IR. He’s got a knee, it’s an ACL. I don’t know when he’ll have surgery. It will be a little while. But Bryan’s a guy I’m familiar with. He’s an athletic linebacker. He’ll probably be a little bit familiar with the system, although that’s two years removed so I’m sure some of it will be new and different. He’ll have to get the speed course here in the next two days.”

(On if he anticipates Kehl playing this Sunday)
    “Might. He might.”

(On if Kehl can take on LB Chris Chamberlain’s role on special teams)
    “Might be, yeah, might be. Hard to tell. Guys are all different, but he plays special teams. He’ll have to serve that role right now.”

(On King’s status)
    “A hamstring, you’ve got to be a little careful with. If you go out there too soon and you re-pull the thing, than we won’t have him at all for Sunday. (CB) Jerome (Murphy) right now is serving Justin’s role and we probably won’t know until Saturday or Sunday whether Justin will be able to go.”

(On what LB Britt Miller brings to the team)
    “Britt does a lot of things. He’s a practice squad guy right now, but he’s played fullback, he’s played linebacker, he plays all the special teams spots. He loves the game of football, just getting to know him one day. So I think it’s pretty good that we have him.”

(On how many game plans he has to put together with the various injuries)
    “We don’t stray too far. You adjust on the run just like we did last week. You don’t want to have two corners go down against four wideouts, and we’ll do the same thing when guys get hurt here. There’s nothing you can do about it. You just go play.”

(On DE Chris Long’s performance against Arizona)
    “I thought he did a nice job. He had some pressures. He had some things in there that probably go a little bit unnoticed, but I think Chris was what we kind of expect him to be and hopefully we get that week in and week out.”

(On OT Rodger Saffold’s performance against Arizona)
    “I thought he did a pretty solid job. Somebody asked me that the other day. He had the one sack I think that he gave up, but for a rookie in his first game at left tackle, pretty good.”

(On why Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur was the right man for the job)
    “I’m not going all the way back to decisions there, but I’m sure glad Pat is here. He does a nice job, has worked well with the quarterbacks. He’s a great teacher. That’s why we got him here, but I think he’s done a real good job.”

(On what challenges the Raiders present offensively)
    “A lot of speed. They can put a number of different wideouts…even the tight end can run. It looks like they’re going to get the other running back back, so there’s a dual threat there. (Darren) McFadden is a quality player and (Michael) Bush is too, so we’ve got to be prepared for a lot of things. They may change personnel groupings that they’ve used. They only had the one back last week, so it’ll be pretty multiple I’m sure.”

(On what QB Jason Campbell brings to the table)
    “I always thought he was a challenge to defend because any time you can play a quarterback that…I think he throws the ball real well, yet he can beat you with his feet. I’m sure if I went back in my memory banks, I’m sure there was a game that he did it that I was on the short end of. I just think he’s so athletic and he’s a big guy and he’s played a lot of football in the NFL.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur – September 16, 2010

(On T Rodger Saffold’s play in his first NFL game)
    “Rodger’s got the skill and ability to play the position. He actually performed pretty well. Just like everybody out there, though, they had mistakes that we can tidy up, and part of being a good pro is fixing those in practice so they don’t show up again. He did a good job.”

(On the challenges of playing left tackle in the NFL)
    “It’s been talked about often. The left tackle for a right handed quarterback, it’s real important that you move your feet and use your hands well. Then when you run the ball, you’ve got to be affective that way as well. I think Rodger has the physical ability. We’ve seen in the time that he’s been here that he’ll work at it. He had a chance to do it live for the first time and I think just like all the players, I think the improvement you make between game one and game two will be immense.”

(On how close WR Mardy Gilyard is to being able to handle a larger role on offense)
    “Mardy’s learning, and I’ll tell you what, being a role player – not only being a rookie, but being a role player – you have to learn all the positions. So he’s done a good job of that, and as we get closer to the game plan, I think he’s going to do well. But when he gets in the ball game, Mardy makes plays. I think that’s what we’re expecting when he gets in there.”

(On QB Sam Bradford’s ability to find his second and third options)
    “Sam’s very good with his progressions. I think it’s usually a ‘one, two, three and if it’s not there then it’s on me, I take off running’ type of offense. Then there’s times when it’s take a shot to check it down, but Sam’s done a good job. I think Sam sees the field well. He has a good vision of the big picture, and then he knows the details of the concepts where everybody is. Again, he’ll improve on the mistakes he’s made, but to this point I think he’s moving forward well.”

(On if he’s able to be a more aggressive play caller with Bradford at the helm)
    “I don’t know about aggressive. I think it’s important that we take our shots. You can’t leave the defense in a position where they’re only covering part of the field. What Sam brings is he’s a good athlete. So that allows you to move him. He does a good job of throwing the ball with accuracy so he can throw from the pocket. He’s tall enough to see. All of those things I think give you more options.”

(On if there is added pressure as a play caller with a high-profile, young quarterback)
    “The pressure, I don’t necessarily put on myself, but my focus here is as an employee of the St. Louis Rams for us to win football games. Obviously Sam is a big part of that, and his development is a big part of that because you have a rookie starting in his first season. I understand the magnitude, but really at the end of the day we’re here to win football games and use Sam’s skill and ability to the best that we can.”

(On if he’s calling plays any differently this year)
    “I’m calling plays to win the game. I think that’s always been the focus. If you’ve got to run it a little bit more or you have to throw it a little bit more, you obviously have to maintain some form of balance. But that’s what we’re trying to do: win the game.”

(On Bradford’s athleticism allowing the Rams to do more with the offense)
    “Well he is a good athlete so typically that means you can do more moving the pocket. I don’t know about this year compared to last year, but that’s what Sam brings to the table.”

(On what WR Brandon Gibson has to do to get more involved)
    “Brandon obviously dealt with some injuries here in the preseason and he’s in there working hard. I think for him to get on the field, he’s just got to keep doing what he’s doing and when we get him up, he gets in there, make his plays.”

(On losing TE Michael Hoomanawanui for a few weeks)
    “Mike being hurt, that was a little bit unfortunate for him, but we feel good about the other players at that position. So we’ll utilize their skill and ability and get them the ball and let them do the things they can do.”

(On how he thinks the Raiders will respond to WR Mark Clayton after Clayton was targeted 16 times last week)
    “I hope that’s the case. Then Steven (Jackson) will have a great day. You try to get the ball to the guys that can make plays and usually - I’ve said this in the past - but catches come in bunches. That was a game when he got a bunch.”

(On the challenges Oakland’s defense presents)
    “They’ve earned the reputation. They have some great, very talented players on defense. They’re one of the best looking teams you’re ever going to find, and that they can bring it. The challenge is that they’re a very talented team that has a good scheme. Schematically they challenge you. They’ll play man-to-man and get after you.”

(On if he expects Oakland to blitz more this week facing a rookie quarterback)
    “We always prepare, regardless of what teams have done, you always have to prepare yourself to deal with pressure. I think that’s the important thing. Our mentality has always been that you block the blitz, complete the balls and if they leave an opportunity, try to make a big play.”

Press Conference – Rams Defensive Coordinator Ken Flajole – September 16, 2010

(On how injuries affect putting together a game plan)
    “I think what we do is we put a bunch of calls up on the wall and start throwing darts at it and whatever hits…(joking). Our guys will respond. The guys that are going to be called upon to play, they’ll respond. We don’t change what we do. That’s life in our league. The next guy that comes in has to be ready to carry the load.”

(On playing the second half last week with just two cornerbacks)
    “As you guys know, Arizona is predominately on third down a four wides team. We had a fairly substantial dime package with four corners on the field that got tabled very early in the third quarter because of injuries. To the benefit of our guys, we had to have some guys come in to play some unfamiliar positions just to survive. They really did a remarkable job. There were things that we couldn’t do from a pressure standpoint that we were looking to do, but you have to make those adjustments during the course of a game.”

(On if he’d like to continue to be as aggressive on defense as the Rams were in Week 1)
    “Every week’s a new adventure. We do have an aggressive mindset. I think that’s something that’s been instilled from the head coach. To say do you pressure more or less than you did the week before, I think it really depends on the circumstances and who we’re playing. This crew that we’re playing this week presents some of their own unique problems. I’d like to say that we’re aggressive. To say do we pressure as much or blitz as much as we did the week before, I don’t know that right now. I mean I do know that, but that will be our little secret. Every week’s different. This quarterback can move around a little bit, so sometimes if you blitz him and you give him a rush lane and he can take it and he can make you pay with his feet.”

(On if his general philosophy is to be aggressive)
    “Yeah, we do. I think our guys feed upon that. I think they like to be aggressive. When the calls are aggressive, I think that gets them going. Good for them. Like I said, every week will be an adventure for us.”

(On what the Raiders present at wide receiver)
    “A lot of speed. They’ve got everybody, the top five guys can all run and they’re very committed to the vertical passing game. They want to take their shots. You guys know, you’ve followed the Raiders, they pride themselves, (Owner) Al Davis prides himself on being a vertical passing team. They like speed at wide receiver and they try to get them the ball down the field.”

(On if Al Davis believes in possession receivers)
    “If it is, it’s by accident.”

(On CB Jerome Murphy)
    “He’s going to factor into our game plan this week. I think he’ll do a nice job. We worked him a little bit as a nickel through the course of our OTAs and through training camp, so he’ll get a full dose of it this week. Justin King’s still got a chance to be ready for this game. We’re hopeful for that. Somewhere between those two guys we’ll find something there.”

(On DE George Selvie’s debut)
    “I thought he did a nice job. He gives us a lot of juice. He plays hard. He’s a smart kid. There are some things from a run standpoint that he’s going to get cleaned up this week but I’m sure glad we got him. He does a nice job.”

(On Raiders RB Michael Bush and the 1-2 punch Oakland has with him and Darren McFadden)
    “They’ve got two good backs. Actually they’ve got three good backs. Bush and the McFadden kid do give them a nice 1-2 punch. I know the Bush kid will have a little problem with his thumb. I think he’s got a little bit of a thumb injury there. But they’re two good running backs that have breakaway speed, particularly the McFadden kid. So we’ve got to do a good job of keeping them bottled in and setting edges on the perimeter. That hurt us a little bit last week on a couple of plays. We’ve got to do a better job of that.”

(On what happened last week on the second quarter drive when the Cardinals had success with the run)
    “We just let the ball get outside on us. We got a little thick on blocks sometimes and guys couldn’t release and get the perimeter set like we needed to on time. That’s been a point of emphasis for us this practice because this team will do that. Their backs have great speed and they’ll throw it in there and try to bounce it and get the ball to the edge. If we don’t get a good perimeter set on the edge of the defense, they’ll make you pay.”

(On if they did anything in practice to help with returns following takeaways)
    “We watched the tape, we learned from it. Sometimes some of those guys think they’re leading the ball carrier down the field and maybe don’t have an appreciation for people that come in from behind the play that have better speed that have a chance to knock it out or to tackle the ball carrier. I think that’s a little bit more of what they did well as opposed to us just being able to maybe have more awareness for where guys were that tackled us. We’ll keep emphasizing, we always emphasize stripping and trying to get the ball out and creating turnovers.”

(On defending TE Zach Miller)
    “He’s a productive player. Their quarterback has a lot of confidence in him. We’ll have our hands full. You’ve got to pay attention to the wide out, you’ve got to pay attention to the tight end, you’ve got to pay attention to the backs. So we’ve got our hands full. The Miller kid is a very capable tight end and I think there is a real chemistry between him and the quarterback right now.”

(On if he expects the Raiders to attack Jerome Murphy)
    “I don’t know if they’ll go after him per se. I think they just do what they do. I think they believe in their system. They believe in their passing game with what they do, and I just think they do what they do. If they feature certain plays to try to target a guy, we’ll have to see on that on Sunday. But I don’ t know if you alter a whole deal what they do because I think they feel real confident in what their scheme is.”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Yesterday's post press conference comments ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Post Practice

Rams Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur – September 16, 2010

(On if he’s calling plays any differently this year)
    “I’m calling plays to win the game. I think that’s always been the focus. If you’ve got to run it a little bit more or you have to throw it a little bit more, you obviously have to maintain some form of balance. But that’s what we’re trying to do: win the game.”
    Yeah well how's that working for you? 1-16 mean anything to you? It might be time to take a look in the mirror? Just saying..........

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Yeah well how's that working for you? 1-16 mean anything to you? It might be time to take a look in the mirror? Just saying..........
    I know, 1-16, that's not good at all.

I think we're all sick and tired of it.

Maybe they have yet to put it all together. I don't know? Spags seems to be happy with Shurmur. It doesn't seem like there is enough there to place all the blame on the play calls. But then, while watching the game, I am often left wondering - what the heck was that call all about!?!

I just don't know. I think it is still a work in progress, but at the same time I'd have to think these guys, spags included, are going to be held more accountable.

Let me say they are on the warm seat rather than the hot seat.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Frustration understood! However, after watching the game last week against the Cards along with the video clip: "Analysis of Bradford's debut" (courtesy of Shale), it was clear that Shurmur is opening things up. Shurmur called 55 passes - and was not afraid to let Sam throw downfield now and then. Sam missed a couple of scoring opportunities (open receivers), as he was understandably struggling to adjust to the speed of a realtime NFL game. However, if Sam is the quick study everyone seems to think he is, we'll see improvement this Sunday ..

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Post Practice – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo 01Press Conference – Rams Defensive Coordinator Ken Flajole – September 16, 2010

(On playing the second half last week with just two cornerbacks)
    “As you guys know, Arizona is predominately on third down a four wides team. We had a fairly substantial dime package with four corners on the field that got tabled very early in the third quarter because of injuries. To the benefit of our guys, we had to have some guys come in to play some unfamiliar positions just to survive. They really did a RAMarkable job. There were things that we couldn’t do from a pressure standpoint that we were looking to do, but you have to make those adjustments during the course of a game.”
    I have a major problem with this statement. If as he says they knew "Arizona is predominantly on third down a four wides team," then why didn't Spags and Flajole take this knowledge seriously and dress more than just 4 cornerbacks?

They should have known that just one injury would put us at a severe disadvantage let alone the two we suffered. This lack of foresight was huge in that it may very well have cost us the game.

Also when you factor in Bartell's and Fletcher's as well as King's recent injury histories it appears that the Rams braintrust was not unlike a kid playing with matches and a can of gasoline.

I know that Spags and his staff are still developing and all, but mistakes like this have got to stop and stop now if the Rams are to move forward.

(P.S. Um...Full disclosure dept.: Flajole didn't really say RAMarkable but I am very confident that he really intended to.

WHAT SAY YE?