Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Yet Again Bernie... Interesting Article Though

01.25.2010 10:56 am
    How Ramsí Super Bowl Loss Changed the NFL
    By Bernie Miklasz

* The Legacy of Super Bowl 36: A friend pointed this out to me in an e-mail and I thought it was an excellent point. We remember one of the reasons why the Rams lost to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 36: Pats coach Bill Belichick accurately surmised that the officials wouldnít want to throw a lot of penalty flags in the Super Bowl, so he instructed his defensive players to hold or mug Rams RB Marshall Faulk and the teamís receivers. The Patriots used this to their great advantage. The Patriotsí tactics created a stink on the NFL Competition Committee. And after the Patriots tried to do the same thing to Indianapolis in a later postseason game, Colts coach Tony Dungy added his voice to the complaints and the rules were finally changed to prohibit roughhouse tactics. For the most part, this was a good development. But watching the AFC and NFC Championship Games yesterday ó as well as the playoffs in general ó I was struck by the number of ticky-tack, highly questionable calls for pass interference, illegal contact, and defensive holding. Some of the calls were flat-out horrible. And it seems that NFL officials are taking it too far the other way, calling too many of these penalties instead. (The PI call on the Vikings LB, Leber, in overtime was awful.) Canít the refs find the middle ground? We donít want defenders to get away with aggravated assault out there, but letís not go crazy by calling every little bump or incidental contact.

I wish they would overturn this game and give us a co-superbowl championship. Or at least asterisk this one. I guess this how many Viking fans feel this morning. I never really did get over this one.
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -01-25-2010 at 07:19 PM.

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Yet Again Bernie... Interesting Article Though

Unfortunately, in the same column, Bernie also laments again that "the Rams could have had Mark Sanchez and Shonn Greene."

Um... yeah, they could have had Sanchez, but their OTs would be Alex Barron and Adam Goldberg.

And... yeah, they could have taken Greene in Round 2 (the only way the Rams could have guaranteed beating the Jets to him), but then their starting MLB would be... who? Dave Vobora?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

They can have Shonne Greene and Sanchez as far as I'm concerned. Greene is a good young back but is a dime a dozen. Sanchez was promising but far from a Peyton Manning and isn't an elite talent. Im content with remaining in the QB hunt while having a bi part of our o-line and line-backing corp shored up, thanks Bernie..

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    They can have Shonne Greene and Sanchez as far as I'm concerned. Greene is a good young back but is a dime a dozen. Sanchez was promising but far from a Peyton Manning and isn't an elite talent. Im content with remaining in the QB hunt while having a bi part of our o-line and line-backing corp shored up, thanks Bernie..
    According to NFL.com mock draft By Bucky Brooks he doesn't have a qb being drafted until 26th with the Cards picking Bradford. We might be able to get Suh Kong and Claussen! How great would that be?

At any rate, not to send this thread to the draft section and to detract to my point of quoting this article, I'm glad those cheatriots are still being exposed.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

general counsel is offline Registered User

Anyone that contends that the rams would be a better team with greene instead of laurianitis is simply an idiot, and i RARELY use that term on this board. The Rams have jackson. No matter how you slice it, a backup running back (who i really like by the way but green is NOT better than jackson) is not worth more than a quality starting middle linebacker that leads the team in tackles in his rookie year.

As for sanchez, does anyone with half a brain believe that he would have had the same year playing behind the Rams offensive line?

As long as bernie is at it, why doesnt he point out that we could have had reevis, pomliamula etc and the rest of the guys that we have passed on over the years (as if no other team in the nfl have ever made lousy picks, of course with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight)

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

The reason we lost SB 36 is because the genius known as Mad Mike felt that throwing the ball 50+ times was prudent rather than dishing the rock the Marshall. Never mind the fact that New England typically had 4 or 5 DB's on the field.

I wish we could have this game back.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I like the way that he says the Rams could have had Shonn Greene and Mark Sanchez, but guess what? They didnt win the Superbowl either. We are in a better position with a left tackle of the future and a MLB of the future than we would have been with a rookie QB (no doubt smashed to pieces without that LT of the future on the OL) and a back up running back.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The easiest thing in the world to do when one of your draft picks didn't work out is to look back on a given draft and say 'well, we could have taken so-and-so, he was available". Unless that player was considered an outstanding franchise player and he was passed up, it is both unfair and silly to question the pick you took instead. Saying "we could have had Shonn Greene" is the ultimate second guess. People are putting the guy in Canton already on the basis of two good post season games. A back-up running back was hardly a first priority early in last year's draft. And anyone who isn't satisfied with Laurinaitis isn't paying attention.

As for the Rams Super Bowl performance in SB XXXVI, we were outplayed and outcoached- pure and simple. We can cry and moan about spygate, aggressive d-backs, and all that other nonsense and it just makes us look like whiners with sour grapes. The Rams deserved to lose. They went in there all fat and happy and the man who invented football (Martz) didn't devise a smart game plan nor make the necessary adjustments to win. Marshall Faulk was underutilized- a disgrace. Warner got picked for a touchdown. And I knew we were in trouble when New England came out for introductions as a team instead of individually. It will always be a huge disappointment we didn't take care of business.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Warner got picked for a touchdown

which shouldnt have been allowed to stand because Warner's facemask got yanked by a Patriot while the ball was in the air. Either facemask or roughing the passer, but it would have given the Rams the ball.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I wish people would stop bring SB 36 up.....Flashbacks!!!!

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    The reason we lost SB 36 is because the genius known as Mad Mike felt that throwing the ball 50+ times was prudent rather than dishing the rock the Marshall. Never mind the fact that New England typically had 4 or 5 DB's on the field.

I wish we could have this game back.
    I agree with this to a point and Faulk was underutilized but we were The Greatest Show on Turf baby! we were designed to do this! The reason we lost is because the refs didn't call ****! And Bill Bellicheat or however you spell that cheaters name taped our practices and play called against it..

As for the Rams Super Bowl performance in SB XXXVI, we were outplayed and outcoached- pure and simple. We can cry and moan about spygate, aggressive d-backs, and all that other nonsense and it just makes us look like whiners with sour grapes. The Rams deserved to lose. They went in there all fat and happy and the man who invented football (Martz) didn't devise a smart game plan nor make the necessary adjustments to win. Marshall Faulk was underutilized- a disgrace. Warner got picked for a touchdown. And I knew we were in trouble when New England came out for introductions as a team instead of individually. It will always be a huge disappointment we didn't take care of business.
    BULL*&%$ we were not outplayed! we were cheated by the officails and them scheming against watching the tapes of our SuperBowl practices! Also Martz invented all the offenses that are being run now in the NFL, we were the first to run em, Marshall was underutilized but we were pass happy in those days, I do however agree that was something alarming for me when the Pats came out as a team not calling each of em out...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I wish people would stop bring SB 36 up.....Flashbacks!!!!
    We will never forget how we got cheated!

If none of you believe we got robbed watch this video...
    YouTube - Patriots - 150 Yards of Uncalled Penalties

Bill BillaCheat beleives in if your not cheating your not trying... nuff said.
    Last edited by TheRammer; -01-27-2010 at 01:35 AM.

True2daGame is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Yet Again Bernie... Interesting Article Though

No doubt we got (F-in) robbed!!!!!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Anyone that contends that the rams would be a better team with greene instead of laurianitis is simply an idiot, and i RARELY use that term on this board. The Rams have jackson. No matter how you slice it, a backup running back (who i really like by the way but green is NOT better than jackson) is not worth more than a quality starting middle linebacker that leads the team in tackles in his rookie year.

As for sanchez, does anyone with half a brain believe that he would have had the same year playing behind the Rams offensive line?

As long as bernie is at it, why doesnt he point out that we could have had reevis, pomliamula etc and the rest of the guys that we have passed on over the years (as if no other team in the nfl have ever made lousy picks, of course with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight)

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Come on General, and anybody else taking shots at Bernie, he points them out because we went from potential dynasty to 6 and 42 over the last 3 years mainly because of a poor draft record since superbowl 36.

Anybody who is not at least a little bitter about that, is not a true Ram fan IMO.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The bottom line in the game was that Belicheat was right. The officials don't want to throw alot of flags in the Superbowl. Thus ALL of the none calls against the Patriots. Go back and watch the game again.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Come on General, and anybody else taking shots at Bernie, he points them out because we went from potential dynasty to 6 and 42 over the last 3 years mainly because of a poor draft record since superbowl 36.

Anybody who is not at least a little bitter about that, is not a true Ram fan IMO.
    wtf? out of any thing this is the one subject about the Rams I get very heated on... us having crappy draft picks has nothing to do with Belicheat filming our practices and having his players assualt and battery our players in this superbowl... drafting afterwards has nothing to do with us getting robbed in SB36.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast