Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Yet another HC change thread

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yet another HC change thread

Ok, so pretty much everyone wants Spags fired. I get it. I very much differ on that, as I think it will just further our struggles if we restart again. But hey, that's what happens in this kneejerk league.

My question goes into new territory though.Spags is a good coach and a great defensive coordinator, we know that from the Giants and how the defense always plays hard until they get tired because the offense sucks. If Spags gets fired, you KNOW that if Andy Reid is still coaching in Philly that Spags will be hired the next day to take over his defense. I don't even know if it'll be that long. ESPN will probably report him getting hired before the press conference to fire him his held.

Now, what if it goes another way? What if both are fired? Would you accept Andy "the Walrus" Reid as our next head coach? What if he brought Spags back as the defense coordinator as he knows the personnel. I don't know if he would accept that kind of demotion to stay with the Rams, but I would think that it's a rather interesting proposition. Reid would be a return to the Rams' 2010 offense for the most part and is an amazing tutor of quarterbacks. Spags is, in my opinion, a great defensive mind and has shown that he can run a good defense with our players.

I doubt it would happen, but what would you think about it?
    Last edited by TekeRam; -12-08-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Original post didn't make paragraphs

I believe!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Yet another HC change thread

We would be stupid not to beg Andy Reid to come here if he is somehow fired.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

To tell you the truth, Id LOVE to keep Spags as a DC. Just watch, Spags will be fired here and Reid will take him as DC in Philly. Their defense will then be a top 5 D. Just watch. With the talent they have over there he will be getting another HC job soon. What he did with our injury riddled defense is amazing. When he goes to Philly (because there are tons of reports saying that Reid and the staff wants him, and unless Reid gets a new DC he will be fired) so that bodes well for Steve. When he goes there, with the talent he has and their D has (Asomugha, DRC, Cullen Jenkins, Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Mike Patterson, Asante Samuel) he will KILL it.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd be okay with Reid, who is a solid coach and a great offensive mind. He'd be perfect for Bradford, but I just don't see any way he'd be able to get Spags to join him as DC.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'd be okay with Reid, who is a solid coach and a great offensive mind. He'd be perfect for Bradford, but I just don't see any way he'd be able to get Spags to join him as DC.
    I don't either, because Spags wouldn't crawl back to the Rams as an assistant right after being fired, but he'd be a perfect match for Reid(either here or in Philly), wouldn't he? And they are friends after all.
    I believe!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I don't either, because Spags wouldn't crawl back to the Rams as an assistant right after being fired, but he'd be a perfect match for Reid(either here or in Philly), wouldn't he? And they are friends after all.
    There is no question they would be a great match, but you're right, no way Spags swallows his pride and comes back to the team that just said we don't want you.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

First off, Steve Spagnuolo is not going to stay on as defensive coordinator the year after he's canned as head coach. That would be unprecedented. And secondly, I take issue with the statement that "he has done wonders with a defense that has been riddled with injuries". Our defense this year has given up 250 yards rushing against Beanie Wells and DeMarco Murray, didn't show up vs. Seattle and put up stinkers against several others. Has the defense periodically done a decent job despite injuries? Yes. But let's not make Spags out to be the next incarnation of Buddy Ryan.

And Andy Reid isn't coming here. Any coach who has been with a team for 12-13 years isn't going to jump right into another head coching gig the year after he's let go.
    THOLTFAN81 and macrammer like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    First off, Steve Spagnuolo is not going to stay on as defensive coordinator the year after he's canned as head coach. That would be unprecedented. And secondly, I take issue with the statement that "he has done wonders with a defense that has been riddled with injuries". Our defense this year has given up 250 yards rushing against Beanie Wells and DeMarco Murray, didn't show up vs. Seattle and put up stinkers against several others. Has the defense periodically done a decent job despite injuries? Yes. But let's not make Spags out to be the next incarnation of Buddy Ryan.

And Andy Reid isn't coming here. Any coach who has been with a team for 12-13 years isn't going to jump right into another head coching gig the year after he's let go.
    Im going to look towards last year when Spags actually had more than half his team starting.

Points allowed: 13, 16, 16, 3 17, 18, 10, 23, 6, 17, and 16. We should easily win all those games every year. If our defense is good enough to hold teams to those low scores, our mediocre offense should be totally revamped. Any decent offense would have been 11-5 last year. And this year..Its a little different. Our D hasnt played as good but take into consideration what we have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Im going to look towards last year when Spags actually had more than half his team starting.

Points allowed: 13, 16, 16, 3 17, 18, 10, 23, 6, 17, and 16. We should easily win all those games every year. If our defense is good enough to hold teams to those low scores, our mediocre offense should be totally revamped. Any decent offense would have been 11-5 last year. And this year..Its a little different. Our D hasnt played as good but take into consideration what we have lost.
    Last year was a different animal. The schedule was weak, so I think those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. I can't argue with your premise that Spags is a good defensive coordinator- he has certainly has shown that in the right circumstances he can do a good job. And I don't doubt for a minute that he'll probably go somewhere and be successful, but he is NOT staying here as D-coordinator and definitely hasn't shown he's head coaching material.
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Last year was a different animal. The schedule was weak, so I think those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. I can't argue with your premise that Spags is a good defensive coordinator- he has certainly has shown that in the right circumstances he can do a good job. And I don't doubt for a minute that he'll probably go somewhere and be successful, but he is NOT staying here as D-coordinator and definitely hasn't shown he's head coaching material.
    If you take last years stats with a grain salt because of a soft schedule, whats to say someone couldnt take thos years stats with a grain of salt because such a heavy schedule early on?Either way, theyre NFL teams they're playing week in and week out.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    If you take last years stats with a grain salt because of a soft schedule, whats to say someone couldnt take thos years stats with a grain of salt because such a heavy schedule early on?Either way, theyre NFL teams they're playing week in and week out.
    As your competition becomes stronger, so must your performance- and we simply didn't step up this season starting with game 1. The production didn't meet the challenge of a tougher schedule, and what results is a 2-10 record.
    THOLTFAN81 and RockinRam like this.

RockinRam is online now Registered User

NJ Ramsfan1 is right.

Last year our schedule was soft, and we were not prepared at all to the better teams of the NFL.

A good coach can coordinate well against a weak team. However, when the level of our opponent have been increased, our coaching staff have not changed their gameplan, have not made necessary adjustments, and as a result, we have been outmatched.

I will agree Spagnuolo is a good DC. Give him some talent to work with, and he will utilize those players on the defense. However, I don't think he is a prolific DC just yet.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would take that, but I think they both will be in Philly and Spags will have a great D with all those great players they have.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Am i the only one who wants Spags to stay? I know he has his flaws as a HC but he is learning. Yes you can put the blame on him for a few loses, but the schedule was brutal, and with the amount of injuries we have been struck with, i find it hard to believe anybody else would have done that much better of a job....

I love the D, and with a full off season to learn McDs offense i want to see if it can work....it has potential!

1 more year each on spags and mcdaniels contracts, why not?
    TekeRam likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

As your competition becomes stronger, so must your performance- and we simply didn't step up this season starting with game 1. The production didn't meet the challenge of a tougher schedule, and what results is a 2-10 record.
    I dont think the Rams stepped up in the off season, either. When expectation goes up, so should the talent. Its an opportunity to take a step, so you make it happen. For whatever the reasons, it just never happens with the Rams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast