Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 91 to 104 of 104
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

  1. #91
    UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Just a fan of whiney tangents.
    Pontificates the fan/troll of risible, condescending, and more often than not, pretentious metaphors.

    (Yawn!)
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.


  2. #92
    renrawtruk is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    I like the perspective of "are you a Craig Dahl supporter or not?"

    The NFL has modified the rules to be passer friendly and as a result, every year passing records and points scored are going up. Not too many "Trent Dilfer" teams anymore out there winning championships. You have to be able to put up some points. So having a productive QB is pretty important in the NFL these days. Ideally, an elite QB.

    Nobody questions your loyalty as a Rams fan if you think Craig Dahl is a below average safety (which he is). But somehow it's much more touchy if you think our QB is below average, as if you're not a true fan.

    The Bradford question get's convoluted when you look around the league and see so many rookie QB's playing well, and also when you take into account that we got screwed in that he was the last #1 pick before the new rookie salary caps, so we're invested in him for a couple more years regardless.

    I'm a Bradford supporter in that I would love nothing more than to have him as our perennial playoff contending franchise QB for years to come.

    However, to me, there are concerns about his ceiling.

    Do I really think with another WR (or 2) and a little more time to throw that he will become elite??? I don't know. After 3 years, I have my doubts, just from what I've seen with my own eyes. I'm no NFL scout, but I feel like I'm still waiting for him to have that "break-out" game where he looks like the real deal. There's been a few good fourth quarter performances, that show promise, but really I can't name any games where I felt like we won the game "because" of our QB.

    He appears to be progressing this year, however, statistically, he did have 18 TD's and 3,500 yards in his first season, so really that's about the same as this year. Definitely a bump up in passer rating from 76 to 83, probably as a result of less INT's. 2 games left to play, so hopefully a few more TD's.

    As a die hard Rams fan, I'm rooting for him, definitely not against him. But as we build talent around him, I would be one of the first to tell you if I think he is holding us back. NFL is "not for long", especially at the QB position.
    fearsome foursome likes this.

  3. #93
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,294
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    I shall answer with a question.....

    Is he a Ram?
    clarasDK likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #94
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,294
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Also, I feel the board needs something here...
    a·pol·o·gist [uh-pol-uh-jist]---noun---a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.
    The word "apologist" gets thrown around as a pejorative sometimes, with the false connotation of one who blindly ignores the faults of a player. That's simply not the definition. Everyone who makes a statement of opinion SHOULD be an apologist. Those who aren't are not providing any justification for their statement. If one DOES provide some form of defense or reason for their position, then one is (and rightfully so) an apologist. And that's a good thing.

    A board filled with apologists is a board of thoughtful, reasoned, logic-based posts and threads.

    A board w/o apologists would look more like the Post Dispatch forum.......just asinine opinions supported by nothing.

    I just thought it might be good to actually use that term correctly.
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-22-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  5. #95
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,506
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Also, I feel the board needs something here... The word "apologist" gets thrown around as a pejorative sometimes, with the false connotation of one who blindly ignores the faults of a player. That's simply not the definition. Everyone who makes a statement of opinion SHOULD be an apologist. Those who aren't are not providing any justification for their statement. If one DOES provide some form of defense or reason for their position, then one is (and rightfully so) an apologist. And that's a good thing.

    A board filled with apologists is a board of thoughtful, reasoned, logic-based posts and threads.

    A board w/o apologists would look more like the Post Dispatch forum.......just asinine opinions supported by nothing.

    I just thought it might be good to actually use that term correctly.
    Ok, next time I'll use "@$$ kisser", I just thought "apologist" was more appropriate for this forum.

  6. #96
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,991
    Rep Power
    163

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    Pontificates the fan/troll of risible, condescending, and more often than not, pretentious metaphors.

    (Yawn!)
    What's with the exclamation point after "yawn"? That's just weird.

  7. #97
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,294
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Ok, next time I'll use "@$$ kisser", I just thought "apologist" was more appropriate for this forum.
    Then you would be incorrect. But now you've been educated. You're welcome.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  8. #98
    Azul e Oro is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,285
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    I like the perspective of "are you a Craig Dahl supporter or not?"

    The NFL has modified the rules to be passer friendly and as a result, every year passing records and points scored are going up. Not too many "Trent Dilfer" teams anymore out there winning championships. You have to be able to put up some points. So having a productive QB is pretty important in the NFL these days. Ideally, an elite QB.

    Nobody questions your loyalty as a Rams fan if you think Craig Dahl is a below average safety (which he is). But somehow it's much more touchy if you think our QB is below average, as if you're not a true fan.

    The Bradford question get's convoluted when you look around the league and see so many rookie QB's playing well, and also when you take into account that we got screwed in that he was the last #1 pick before the new rookie salary caps, so we're invested in him for a couple more years regardless.

    I'm a Bradford supporter in that I would love nothing more than to have him as our perennial playoff contending franchise QB for years to come.

    However, to me, there are concerns about his ceiling.

    Do I really think with another WR (or 2) and a little more time to throw that he will become elite??? I don't know. After 3 years, I have my doubts, just from what I've seen with my own eyes. I'm no NFL scout, but I feel like I'm still waiting for him to have that "break-out" game where he looks like the real deal. There's been a few good fourth quarter performances, that show promise, but really I can't name any games where I felt like we won the game "because" of our QB.

    He appears to be progressing this year, however, statistically, he did have 18 TD's and 3,500 yards in his first season, so really that's about the same as this year. Definitely a bump up in passer rating from 76 to 83, probably as a result of less INT's. 2 games left to play, so hopefully a few more TD's.

    As a die hard Rams fan, I'm rooting for him, definitely not against him. But as we build talent around him, I would be one of the first to tell you if I think he is holding us back. NFL is "not for long", especially at the QB position.
    Thoughtful points but I disagree with most of it.....lol...

    There have always been dominant passing teams in the league of one style or the other; currently, the "try to have your cake n' eat it" fad is the super-mobile QB.The injury risk is the huge downside, obviously. Distasteful as it is to say, The pats have been the most impressive team I've watched all year & they've reinvested in the run game. Pendulum swing ? I like our chances with a Brady or Manning type QB & Sam compares decently vs both at similar points in their careers. Fisher seems to think the kid has upside. I'm not a huge Fisher fan but he's not the only well-informed person to take that position.And both he & Schotty have a history of run emphasis & done well with it. I also don't think you can win the NFCW without it. Not vs those defenses. The lopsided number of top ten defenses The Rams have faced as opposed to WASH or INDY was more than double,iirc.

    Still, the passing game is important but I just don't see how you can dismiss how Sam's progression has impacted games when he's brought The Rams from behind in most of those wins & probably would have had more if some catches had been made, not to mention tackles.You have to separate the collective setbacks/shortcomings of the team from the QB more distinctly,imo. The numbers have been quoted all over this board about his crunch time performance. And all this with virtually the same level of consistent production at the skill positions as in his rookie year,imo. No wonder the numbers compare. Not sure the defense has been as good, though, nor the pass pro. I seem to remember The Rams allowing no points in the first quarter for a long stretch.When The 2012 Rams D is good, it's great, but hard to argue the consistency is there.

    It was a good draft but are D-Rich and Givens all Sam gets before he's judged to have hit his ceiling ? I don't see a Reggie Wayne out there , either, if Luck is your kinda guy.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-23-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    shower beers likes this.

  9. #99
    punahou's Avatar
    punahou is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    HAWAII
    Posts
    582
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    No, too many games of 12/29 180 yards 1-2 tds, and x int = non factor for a #1 overall pick compared to many other recent quarterbacks taken 1/1 and later.

    but then I've always this opinion of him since we drafted him....

  10. #100
    Alpha_Male is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    No, too many games of 12/29 180 yards 1-2 tds, and x int = non factor for a #1 overall pick compared to many other recent quarterbacks taken 1/1 and later.

    but then I've always this opinion of him since we drafted him....
    Bradford: 13/27 196 yds 2 TD, 1 INT

    Stats of #1 overall and top 10 draft picks staters from the weekend. I see only 1 threw more TD passes, and only 2 had significantly more passing yards. Not many had a great day.



    16/32 115yds 0 TD, 1 INT
    18/29 170yds 1 TD, 1 INT
    13/30 140yds 1 TD, 2 INT
    17/35 205yds 1 TD, 0 INT
    16/24 198yds 2 TD, 1 INT
    11/22 165yds 2 TD, 0 INT
    37/56 443yds 0 TD, 1 INT
    25/32 279yds 4 TD, 0 INT
    13/25 130yds 2 TD, 0 INT
    14/28 150yds 1 TD, 0 INT
    Last edited by Alpha_Male; -12-24-2012 at 04:52 AM.

  11. #101
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,180
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Im a believer for the record (He's doing pretty damn good this year), but sometimes I watch his college highlights at Oklahoma and die a little inside. I wish he grew to his full potential. Could EASILY be a Brady/Manning in this league. Smart, accurate, mobile, live arm. Way too much talent to be wasted on being "pretty good". Lets get this thing turned around, top 5 QB next year.
    SWFCRAM likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  12. #102
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,582
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Yes I am. That doesn't mean he gets a pass for every bad play. But I'm not criticising him for throwing a pass that MIGHT have been picked off, but wasn't, in a game the Rams won.

  13. #103
    jjigga3000's Avatar
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,353
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    I'll reserve my comment till after I see how he does next year.

  14. #104
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,506
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Are you a Bradford supporter or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Then you would be incorrect. But now you've been educated. You're welcome.
    Actually my friend, the technical definition is irrelevant in this forum.

    The accepted forum use of the word is more important. And in this case and in this context, "apologist" and "@$$ kisser" can be substituted for each other. Consider yourself educated.

    You're welcome.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Similar Threads

  1. The New-Look Sam Bradford
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -01-29-2011, 01:55 AM
  2. Sam Bradford is the MAN!
    By laram0 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -10-18-2010, 11:15 PM
  3. Final (?) Word on Bradford from a Suh Supporter
    By Nick in forum Articles by Nick
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: -04-23-2010, 11:13 PM
  4. Sam Bradford
    By jjigga3000 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: -04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
  5. Bradford vs. Suh
    By HUbison in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: -03-04-2010, 04:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •