AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You can answer any "should we sign (free agent)" question with this three-part test

Between now and training camp, there will be a lot of veterans who will become free agents. The release of many of these players will prompt threads raising the issue of whether the Rams should be interested.

You can answer that question for any player that hits the market with this three part test:

1. Would the player accept the role available?

It is unlikely that the Rams will sign anyone who would step into the starting lineup, so the FAs (if any) that are signed from this point on are most likely to be rotational or role players. Only certain players are willing to fill that type of role. For example, a guy like Edgerrin James might sound like a good #2 back, but I'd question whether he'd be interested in a 5-10 carries per game role.

2. Does the player fit the Rams' budget?

The Rams must sign their draft choices and, ideally, will reach a long term deal with O.J. Atogwe. Beyond those moves, the Rams don't have the money to pay a big contract.

3. Is there a potential long-term upside?

At this point, I see little value in signing any older veterans to short deals. Doing so would only take playing time away from the younger Rams players who will hopefully be in the Rams' long-term plans. Therefore, I would only consider players who are young enough to potentially contribute for 3 or more years.

If, for any player, the answer to ALL THREE questions is "yes," then I'd consider making a move. Otherwise, I'd stick with what the Rams have on the roster now and let the young guys sink or swim.

kman is offline Registered User

Re: You can answer any "should we sign (free agent)" question with this three-part te

agreed..thats whay I tink Robertson might be a decent pick up..hes young, im sure he's willing to be part of a rotation, and i doubt he will command a huge contract..I want a 340 lb. slob in there...Carriker's barely 300lb..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: You can answer any "should we sign (free agent)" question with this three-part te

Yes, Robertson might fit the criteria. Not sure what his contract demands are or if he sees himself as a starter, but he could be worth a look.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If we sign robertson isnt he going to take playing time away from the potential pro bowler we just got in the brian leonard deal (or should i say salary dump)?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    If we sign robertson isnt he going to take playing time away from the potential pro bowler we just got in the brian leonard deal (or should i say salary dump)?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't think so... Spags loves to use a lot of d lineman

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Travis Laboy? could be a future starter opposite Long after little moves on. Immediately comes off the bench as a pass rusher in the deep rotation spags likes to use.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

What about Fred Robbins - NY GIANTS ? And Laboy - CARDINALS.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    We'll probably be looking for a no. 2 runningback in free agency!