thoey is offline Registered User

You are Commissioner for a day...

Every time I hear about the contracts that NFL (and other sports for that matter) players get, it really makes me wonder.

You see it all the time. Billy Bob Stud has an amazing season that just coincidentally happens in the last year of his current contract. After a period of time, his agent and the FO pound out a new deal getting Billy Bob top dollar. Next couple of seasons, Billy Bob plays, but not nearly as well as he did when he was establishing his new contracts value.

The other side of the coin is rookies being drafted and making more then proven veterans just based off expectations. How many times has a first round, sure fire future Pro Bowler turned out to be a lazy bum or a head case? This large paycheck hurts the team for years to come and is a slap in the face to proven vets.

So, my question is this. If you were assigned as the Commissioner for a day and your sole responsibility was to fix the problems with contracts, what would you do?

I would really like to see a position by position, multi-tiered pay scale created. That way, all of your tier one RB's get the same salary. And then have incentive based clauses that allow them to earn more than others in their tier if they achieve their goals.

For example, let’s take SJax. Since he is arguably one of the top five backs in the league, you sign him to a Tier 1 RB base contract for say 4 million per year guaranteed. On top of that base contract you add on incentives for rushing yardage, reception yardage, TD's scored, less than X number of fumbles lost, etc. Along with these positive incentives, you could also add negative deductions for number of penalties, meeting attendance, staying out of off the field issues, etc.

By doing this sort of system, there is no need for holdouts. The only discussion would be the establishing and then assignment of the tiers and then the setting of incentives. If he exceeds expectations, he is rewarded for it. If he just does his job, he gets the base only.

This would also help in the bloated rookie contracts as there would be a base level that an untested rookie would receive and then if they did well they would make more due to incentives. No longer would there be outrageous contracts given to someone with unproven potential that exceeded that of a proven veteran.

I would really love to see something like this. Wouldn't it be nice to say "Man , that Steven Jackson is only in it for the money. Did you see those three touchdowns yesterday?"

This space for rent...

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: You are Commissioner for a day...

Well its kinda a moot point since all bets are off with the current collecitve bargining aggreement. And I don't think the Commissioner ought to meddle with player contracts. More his role is to enforcing league rules, balance competiveness and expand the leagues interest. Personally with player contract disputes there ought to be a sitting arbitrator committee to deal with these matters.

AS it is the system works--needs improving. The salary cap is the best thing to happen to professional football--but too many teams are able tweek, bend, or otherwise play with the Salary cap and the governing rules. If I was commissioner, that is the one thing I would work on. A written in stone no nonsense Salary cap and governing rules....

Problem--try and get some of the owners to go along with that--owners who perhaps own the Cowboys/Redskins/seahawks/Raiders...have I missed one yet? Getting pass owner's egos to make for the better of the game rules would be a dragon slaying task

After that--any team can spend any amount of $$$ they want on a player, even if there isn't enough $$$ to pay the janitors salary afterword

Wonder if your post might be referring to Ricky Williams there
    Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -08-03-2008 at 01:44 AM.

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: You are Commissioner for a day...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Wonder if your post might be referring to Ricky Williams there
    Actually not Ricky as when he played, he played well. I was thinking more on the lines Ryan Leaf and more recently the RB that was just dropped from the Bears because he is a head case. Coincidentally, also a UT grad...
    This space for rent...