Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: You don't need to downplay a win to express concern about the team.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

You don't need to downplay a win to express concern about the team.

Do the Rams have problems?

Hell, yes.

Playcalling, inconsistent O line play, rushed throws, dropped passes, failing to seal the edge on runs, poor pass coverage, special teams penalties...

The list remains long.

But does that mean that a win - and I mean ANY win - should be downplayed?

Hell, no.

Ask the Giants.

Ask the Vikings.

Ask the Steelers.

Ask the Bucs.

A win in the NFL is a precious thing. Nobody is guaranteed anything from week to week, much less from year to year.

More importantly, you have to consider the impact of a game like yesterday on the team.

Don't you think that the O line is feeling a bit better about themselves?
    Don't you think that Zac Stacy is feeling like he really belongs in the starting lineup?
    Don't you think yesterday was a boost to Sam Bradford's confidence?
    Don't you think that the defense has a bit of a swagger after producing 3 turnovers?

Winning does not cure everything, but it sure does help treat the symptoms.

So... enjoy the win, Rams fans.

You can be happy and concerned at the same time.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: You don't need to downplay a win to express concern about the team.

We also didn't let Jones-Drew run for 150 and 3 scores like the last time we met up! 70 yards of rushing from him, which is pretty respectable considering our last two games.
    ManofGod likes this.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Remember, a bad pro team can beat a good collage team any day. We still have issues with stopping the run, but we did a lot better running the ball this time. Tavon almost broke a big one and is looking more like a pro football player each carry. The team is showing improvement so there are a lot of things to look forward too next week.

Go Rams!!!
    Curly Horns likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Yep agree. You can add another team to that list the Jags. I'm not saying I was not frustrated yesterday, in the first quarter I thought my head was going to explode. But the reality is we won the game and it was really never in doubt once we took the lead.

Fisher does not have a magic wand the only way we are going to get better is over time. Playing games. Some are going to be hard to watch and some will actually be entertaining and fun to watch. We are the youngest team in the league and we have two more first round picks next year. Does anyone think we will not have two more starting rookies next year? We are rebuilding and at best are still two years away before we can expect to play like the very best teams in the NFL week in and week out. That said it can really wear on fans to see the same mistakes week in and week out by the same players.

The Rams this year will be a better team talent wise then last year but it may have a worse record. That's going to be the hard part to deal with, at least for me.
    lordwhttgr, Ramhearder and Randart like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think they're part and parcel of one another. While all wins count and you don't get extra for "style points", I feel it is more than fair as a fan to have your enthusiasm for a win tempered by the fact that many of the ills that have plagued us thus far reared their ugly head yet again against a terrible football team. A slow start. Bad penalties. Poor special teams. Disjointed offense. That game was 27-20 heading into the 4th quarter. Entirely too close for comfort.

At some point, we have to stop playing the "youth" and "rebuilding" card, which has been discussed for what seems like an eternity in these parts. While both concepts have some merit, you don't have to be a veteran to catch the football. You don't have to be Einstein to know that blocking in the back on special teams is illegal and will draw a flag 100% of the time. It takes zero talent to get emotionally into a ball game, and in fact is probably easier for a youthful player than a grizzled veteran.

My expectations are pretty simple: I want to see good, sound, fundamental football played each week. I want to see the promise we think most of these recent additions and draft picks hold for our future. I want us to improve in all areas and not take "one step forward then two steps back". We lost three games this year (all blowouts, though the Atlanta game was cosmetic), and in our two wins, we played sloppy, uninspired football for large chunks of the contest. I'm still waiting to see a complete, solid game played by us regardless of the outcome on the scoreboard. And with 5 weeks already in the books, it needs to happen now.
    renrawtruk likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

So, when we were up 27-20 yesterday, that's what you call "too close for comfort," but when we were within 7 points of Atlanta at the start of the 4th quarter, and then again with 2 minutes left in the game, that's what you call "a blowout."

I think that says it all.
    lordwhttgr likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'm glad it's more optimistic but at the same time realistic here. Reading posts from RealRamsFans or the Ram Nation facebook group is really depressing.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I think they're part and parcel of one another. While all wins count and you don't get extra for "style points", I feel it is more than fair as a fan to have your enthusiasm for a win tempered by the fact that many of the ills that have plagued us thus far reared their ugly head yet again against a terrible football team. A slow start. Bad penalties. Poor special teams. Disjointed offense. That game was 27-20 heading into the 4th quarter. Entirely too close for comfort.

At some point, we have to stop playing the "youth" and "rebuilding" card,
    which has been discussed for what seems like an eternity in these parts. While both concepts have some merit, you don't have to be a veteran to catch the football. You don't have to be Einstein to know that blocking in the back on special teams is illegal and will draw a flag 100% of the time. It takes zero talent to get emotionally into a ball game, and in fact is probably easier for a youthful player than a grizzled veteran.

My expectations are pretty simple: I want to see good, sound, fundamental football played each week. I want to see the promise we think most of these recent additions and draft picks hold for our future. I want us to improve in all areas and not take "one step forward then two steps back". We lost three games this year (all blowouts, though the Atlanta game was cosmetic), and in our two wins, we played sloppy, uninspired football for large chunks of the contest. I'm still waiting to see a complete, solid game played by us regardless of the outcome on the scoreboard. And with 5 weeks already in the books, it needs to happen now.
    The fact is it may feel like eternity bur it's only been one season and five games which is not an eternity. Today Fisher said in his presser that Ray Ray thought he was on punt coverage not punt return, that's why he pushed a player in the back. If that does not sound like inexperience then I don't know what is. I think back to George Allen and think, what would he think of Fisher playing all these young guys, if you recall he would never ever play a rookie and there is reasons for that.

When you look for improvement the offense had no penalties, no false starts, no holding a clean game. No turn overs, there is some improvement.

My expectations are pretty simple: I want to see good, sound, fundamental football played each week. I want us to improve in all areas and not take "one step forward then two steps back".
    It would be great if it was that simple, really would be great. But that seems a little to linear. It's not an exact science, this rebuilding a football team made up of twenty somethings.
    I'm still waiting to see a complete, solid game played by us regardless of the outcome on the scoreboard.
    I'm still looking for the perfect wave.

I get your frustration I was right there with you Sunday. The good thing is maybe this Sunday will be the game you have been waiting for, I hope. The next set is always coming.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-07-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So, when we were up 27-20 yesterday, that's what you call "too close for comfort," but when we were within 7 points of Atlanta at the start of the 4th quarter, and then again with 2 minutes left in the game, that's what you call "a blowout."

That my friend is a classic the glass is half full right there. People see what they see.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think many, if not most of us, came into this season believing that we were going to pick-up where we left off after last season. That meant solid competitive football for 4 quarters. Sure were were going to lose against better teams and maybe steal a win here or there that many experts picked us to lose. I really felt we were going to upset Atlanta, but that's history. Essentially I'm saying based on last year and what was accomplished during the off-season we thought we were going to see a better product on the field and we had reason to believe that because we have a strong coach. The games thus far have been anything but reassuring of that premise. Now having said all this, the only game many experts picked us to win that we didn't was the Dallas game. So if this can all come together quickly we may be able to have the type of season we want. Call me a "rosey eyed optimist", but I have rooted for this team too long to believe otherwise.

Go Rams!

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Do the Rams have problems?

Hell, yes.

Playcalling, inconsistent O line play, rushed throws, dropped passes, failing to seal the edge on runs, poor pass coverage, special teams penalties...

The list remains long.

But does that mean that a win - and I mean ANY win - should be downplayed?

Hell, no.

Ask the Giants.

Ask the Vikings.

Ask the Steelers.

Ask the Bucs.

A win in the NFL is a precious thing. Nobody is guaranteed anything from week to week, much less from year to year.

More importantly, you have to consider the impact of a game like yesterday on the team.

Don't you think that the O line is feeling a bit better about themselves?
    Don't you think that Zac Stacy is feeling like he really belongs in the starting lineup?
    Don't you think yesterday was a boost to Sam Bradford's confidence?
    Don't you think that the defense has a bit of a swagger after producing 3 turnovers?

Winning does not cure everything, but it sure does help treat the symptoms.

So... enjoy the win, Rams fans.

Here's the thing we won a game that we should have won against a team that is horrible.

Now if you ask the same question winning a game against the Texans away from home field then I'd say yes to your question.

Let's face it Sam Bradford will never be what we want him to be, He is what he is.
    The Defense is because of a not so good D Coordinator.
    Oline is because Safold can't stay healthy.
    Running game because with the exception of Zac Stacy we have RB's that don't belong in the NFL.

It takes minor adjustments to change our trajectory. The question is what changes do we make.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Oh, I am Avenger. Both.

I relish every win and lament every loss.

I also keep them in perspective.

I think it was a moral victory!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Fisher said in his presser that Ray Ray thought he was on punt coverage not punt return, that's why he pushed a player in the back.
    What the hell? I can't even.... What?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

You see, AV, my perspective as a fan is influenced by my occupational experiences as a coach. And while as a fan, it's always nice to win a game, in no way can I be satisfied with what we did on Sunday. We struggled to put away an inferior opponent on our home field after a 10 day break. Mistakes that have been made all season long again reared their ugly head. The game was in question in the 4th quarter. We're talking about an opponent that's as bad a team as has been in the NFL in years. And while you always try to find positives in any situation, the fact is we're not a good football team right now, and that's especially alarming given what we did last year and what was expected in 2013.

I don't completely subscribe to the "a win is a win" philosophy. It is a trite phrase which reflects our culture's "winning is all that matters" attitude towards athletics. Dallas, for instance went toe to toe with Peyton Manning and got beat in the waning seconds. And yet while they're undoubtedly disappointed, I guarantee you they and their fans are proud of what they did in a losing effort. It should serve as a great springboard moving forward. Conversely, the Rams WON, yet questions exist about many areas of their team right now. Many of their fans are dismayed at what they've seen this year thus far.

Bottom line is this: We're not a good football team 5 games into the season. And nothing was settled by whipping the Jaguars. We have to hope that improvement will be shown across the board or it will get ugly as the schedule toughens up.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -10-08-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Fisher said in his presser that Ray Ray thought he was on punt coverage not punt return, that's why he pushed a player in the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    What the hell? I can't even.... What?
    Yeah I know, scary. Kind of surprised by Fisher. He is a coach the pays attention to teams. We cut our teams captain in Josh Hull and now are paying for it every week. Pick up the phone and sign him back!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast