Falconator Guest

You guys look like we did last year - Will Rams totally implode?

I'm not trying to "pile on" here but you guys are like a Div 2 school playing USC every week - what gives? Is it coaching or injuries? Horrible - its looking like you guys will have the season that us Falcons went through last year - but we had the whole Vick fiasco and Bobby QUITrino thing going on.......it sounds like Scott Linehan might not survive until the "bye" week.

What happened to Marc Bulger? Four years ago he was one of the better QBs in the NFL - he's non-existent now - I know you guys are having offensive line problems but is that really it? Defense giving up an average of 40 points a game - where are you Jim Haslett?

I hate to say it but if you guys get #1 pick and Matt Stafford has a big year for the Georgia Bulldogs - y'all might better just draft him. Nothing works if you don't have the QB position solved......Down here in Atlanta, we are very happy with Matt Ryan so far - he struggled last week after looking good the first week. We will probably beat KC this week at home and be 2-1 - granted we will have beat two bad teams, but still......

anyway, enjoy the Rams board and you guys are excellent - love hearing from you about the Rams and your opinions on my Falcons too - love to hear your comments - GO FALCS!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: You guys look like we did last year - Will Rams totally implode?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    I hate to say it but if you guys get #1 pick and Matt Stafford has a big year for the Georgia Bulldogs - y'all might better just draft him. Nothing works if you don't have the QB position solved......Down here in Atlanta, we are very happy with Matt Ryan so far - !
    told ya he`d be fine when you guys were gushin` over Dorsey..
    im glad that Matty ice is doing o.k.,some teams get too wrapped up in just one skill that a QB has (usually a rocket arm or scramblin speed) and by-pass the package as a whole...see Leftwich,Vick,Russell,VY etc...

like im sure you know,you not there yet as a franchise but you definately slowly moving in the right direction and cut out the cancer`s that were eating you up...our surgery is yet to be carried out but as far as the players on the team goes,i dont think we need to get rid of as many as you guys did to start winning again!

Go Rams

makersncoke is offline Registered User

We are asking the same questions, the defense looks like they are completely lost and the offense is out of sync. Bulger, his problem is too much abuse. He has no time to set up in the pocket, that is if there was a pocket it's usually a jail break coming at him. He has happy feet and I don't blame him he's had the beat down put to him for 2 years now and I'm not sure he will recover from it. You realy can't point to one area that is the problem, it's alot of areas adding up to one huge problem. But anyway, Ryan is looking good for the Falcons, hope you guys have a good season, the fans deserve it after the circus you guys had to endure last year.

Mooselini Guest

Trust me man, we're all wondering the same. On paper, we have a good team.

One thing I can tell you is that our center and right guard is below bad (as of now with Bell out, our Left guard is too!). And because we are allowing LB's and DT's through the line, Bulger cannot stand still and is constantly hit. This causes a chain reaction of him constantly throwing sooner because he's afraid his line is going to crap out on him. Can you blame the guy? It's not Bulger. Had he been behind a good line, you can say that he would play better. But being behind this line, he has no choice but to fear.

Our defense has been crap for many years. Last year showed improvment. But this year, with the same line up, we are some how worse...I don't know what the case is. Maybe moving Carriker to UT might do some wonders seeming how he played better last year. I don't know what the solution is, but I am not the coach and it is not my job to find the solution. I just hope it is found.

sig51 Guest

We don't need a quarterback, we need interior lineman, more than anything, and defensive players.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

The Falconators post made me realy start thinking about what is wrong with this team, just some thoughts or food for debate so let me know what you think.

Our best offensive lineman is in his 11th season at one of the most physically demanding positions in football, maybe he's showing a llittle wear. Baron is a work in progress, not bad but not all-pro by any means. The interior line guys, with the exception of Bell just aren't NFL caliber players.
    Bulger has taken more monster hits in the last 2 years than some QBs take in a career, he is not a big guy when compared to a McNabb or Culpepper and maybe he's not the same QB he was 3-4 years ago. Unless he gets a line that can block for him I doubt he will ever return to his pro-bowl form.

We have a running back who insists on trying to run like Barry Sanders, when in fact god gave him the tools to run more like John Riggins or Larry Csonka. Stop dancing, start running.

Who do we realy have that is any good at reciever besides Holt? Time will tell with the kids but it's still too early.

Defense, our best pass rusher is kind of like Pace, he might be showing some wear. Long wil be great, no doubt, but not this year, he will need time. The rest of the line is non-existent IMO, so where does the pass rush come from?

Our line-backers, I'll just say that Spoon can't do it all and Tinoisomoa needs to stay healthy.

The secondary, with no pass rush even the best secondary will look vulnerable. If you have no pass rush with these bozos your in trouble.

Combine all of this with a head coach who aside from 2 seasons in Minn. never did anything IMO as a coordinator and put him with a defensive coordinator who's teams always underachieved when he was a head coach and that spells disaster in my book.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    The Falconators post made me realy start thinking about what is wrong with this team, just some thoughts or food for debate so let me know what you think.

Our best offensive lineman is in his 11th season at one of the most physically demanding positions in football, maybe he's showing a llittle wear. Baron is a work in progress, not bad but not all-pro by any means. The interior line guys, with the exception of Bell just aren't NFL caliber players.
    Bulger has taken more monster hits in the last 2 years than some QBs take in a career, he is not a big guy when compared to a McNabb or Culpepper and maybe he's not the same QB he was 3-4 years ago. Unless he gets a line that can block for him I doubt he will ever return to his pro-bowl form.

We have a running back who insists on trying to run like Barry Sanders, when in fact god gave him the tools to run more like John Riggins or Larry Csonka. Stop dancing, start running.

Who do we realy have that is any good at reciever besides Holt? Time will tell with the kids but it's still too early.

Defense, our best pass rusher is kind of like Pace, he might be showing some wear. Long wil be great, no doubt, but not this year, he will need time. The rest of the line is non-existent IMO, so where does the pass rush come from?

Our line-backers, I'll just say that Spoon can't do it all and Tinoisomoa needs to stay healthy.

The secondary, with no pass rush even the best secondary will look vulnerable. If you have no pass rush with these bozos your in trouble.

Combine all of this with a head coach who aside from 2 seasons in Minn. never did anything IMO as a coordinator and put him with a defensive coordinator who's teams always underachieved when he was a head coach and that spells disaster in my book.
    hey guys,

I'm bacckk! thanks for the posts and insights....not sure there is a "parallel" between the Falcons and Rams but one thing the Falcons new regime settled on was this - if your mediocre-to-bad with old players - get rid of 'em and get the "pieces that fit" with strategic free agent pick-ups and solid draft picks......

In the past, Falcons would always go for the "great athletes" and not necessarily the best "football players" - well those days are over for the Falcons - we are drafting "football players" now.........Matt Ryan is a player........Everybody criticized the Falcons pick of Sam Baker(said his arms were too short - LOL!!!) but he is a player......Curtis Lofton is a player.......love Thomas Dimitroff and the new Falcons regime - Mike Smith is a legit coach - Mike Mularkey runs a "smash-mouth" offense that runs downhill with Michael Turner and then goes "play-action" over the top with Roddy White. I love that style of offense. Also, Falcons have added "nasty" players to the offensive line in free agent pickup Harvey Dahl(modern day Conrad Dobler type - straight nasty) and Tyson Clabo....

I hear what you guys are saying on just how bad the Rams offensive line is - too bad for you guys that Jake Long did not make it to you - probably would have been the better draft pick over Chris Long - oh well, Rome was not built in a day. Obviously you need more talent on the O-Line. Having said that, I think you guys need a new head coach and a face lift in the front office. I heard "rumors" of too much of a "power struggle" between ownership/GM/Coach in warroom during draft - i don't know if it was all "crap" or if any of it was true - usually when you hear it enough then there is "some" truth to it.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts.......looks like you guys and Detroit will battle for #1 overall pick in the draft.....(I know its early)....Who would you guys want? Michael Oher, OT-Ole Miss, Eugene Monroe, OT-Virginia, Michael Crabtree, WR-Texas Tech.........just curious - never too soon to start talking draft.......

thoughts on the above? please share - thanks again!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    told ya he`d be fine when you guys were gushin` over Dorsey..
    im glad that Matty ice is doing o.k.,some teams get too wrapped up in just one skill that a QB has (usually a rocket arm or scramblin speed) and by-pass the package as a whole...see Leftwich,Vick,Russell,VY etc...

like im sure you know,you not there yet as a franchise but you definately slowly moving in the right direction and cut out the cancer`s that were eating you up...our surgery is yet to be carried out but as far as the players on the team goes,i dont think we need to get rid of as many as you guys did to start winning again!

Go Rams
    Yeah, Ramblin' Ram - you were right! We love Matt Ryan down here in the A-T-L......I know its early and the schedule is about to get tougher - and he will make many mistakes this year - but Matty Ice is da truf!

Mooselini Guest

hey guys,

I hear what you guys are saying on just how bad the Rams offensive line is - too bad for you guys that Jake Long did not make it to you - probably would have been the better draft pick over Chris Long - oh well, Rome was not built in a day. Obviously you need more talent on the O-Line. Having said that, I think you guys need a new head coach and a face lift in the front office. I heard "rumors" of too much of a "power struggle" between ownership/GM/Coach in warroom during draft - i don't know if it was all "crap" or if any of it was true - usually when you hear it enough then there is "some" truth to it.
    I'm not too upset with the Chris Long pick. Never was against it. He looks great so far and only has the motive to improve more. Pace is holding up pretty good.

We need interior lineman.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I'm not too upset with the Chris Long pick. Never was against it. He looks great so far and only has the motive to improve more. Pace is holding up pretty good.

We need interior lineman.
    I know there is a center out of Cal and an offensive guard out of Oklahoma that are supposed to be good........

If Chris Long becomes a player similiar to Patrick Kerney - who is the player he has been most compared - then you guys will be very happy with Chris Long.

Mooselini Guest

I know there is a center out of Cal and an offensive guard out of Oklahoma that are supposed to be good........

If Chris Long becomes a player similiar to Patrick Kerney - who is the player he has been most compared - then you guys will be very happy with Chris Long.
    With the way he's been playing, you can almost see that he's going to be a hell of a player. He's been all over the field and that engine never stops. Will he be a probowler this year? I seriously doubt it. Will he be playing like he wants to earn a spot there? Every sunday.

I havent been following the OL's for this year's draft class. I'm really hoping we can land one in the second round. Because that first round has to go to Maualuga or Laurinaitis if Rey isn't available. Both guys are MLB's and Witherspoon can play his real position.

Falconator Guest

With the way he's been playing, you can almost see that he's going to be a hell of a player. He's been all over the field and that engine never stops. Will he be a probowler this year? I seriously doubt it. Will he be playing like he wants to earn a spot there? Every sunday.

I havent been following the OL's for this year's draft class. I'm really hoping we can land one in the second round. Because that first round has to go to Maualuga or Laurinaitis if Rey isn't available. Both guys are MLB's and Witherspoon can play his real position.
    agreed......I like Rey Maualuga for you guys....he looks like the reincarnate of a young Junior Seau - straight up nasty middle linebacker. I like him a lot more than Lauranitis....Rey would be a good pick - even better if you could trade back into later in top 10 and grab him.....then go offensive line early and often

Falconator Guest

only other thing I would offer on a high draft pick is this - if you find a "can't miss" QB that you think is franchise player - IF you think Bulger is washed up - then take him!.....The only guy I think would fit the profile would be Matthew Stafford - if he comes out.

Having said that, it seems like the majority of you still have confidence in Marc Bulger - he's gettin' old though - and if the O-Line is as bad as everyone is saying - then wouldn't you need to draft one of the "big three" offensive linemen (Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher or Andre Smith). I know those guys are OT's and not OG's which you guys are said to need - but you can get OG's in later rounds.