RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

For you hating on Jackson.

Just listened to his locker room interview from today and he PERSONALLY went to the OFFENSIVE LINE MEETING and APPOLOGIZED and let them know what the real reason was for his outburst, and that it had nothing to do with them.

I'm sorry, but you guys get way out of hand when it comes to Jackson.

He's a great player, a great guy, and wants to do nothing but win. And he's right, if he's doing good the team is, if he's not, obviously the team isn't.

RamsFan16

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: For you hating on Jackson.

I read some of his quotes in another thread and I must say, Steven Jackson is a standup guy who cares about his teammates and the success of the team above all else. "Misunderstood" is a term that's often casually thrown around, but in Jackson's case I think it's true. He's got character, a good work ethic and leadership qualities. IMO he's a good young man. He's also obviously a great player.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Hey, I give Jackson all the credit in the world, he's one hell of a player and he truly cares about this team, you can see that. Other guys like T.O. are true drama queens that want to be in the spotlight and probably aren't that concerned about winning. Jackson is a class act, he's young and ready to win. Wouldn't you be mad if you were in his position knowing that he's got a lot of people expecting a big year and also knowing that this offense has SO MUCH potential to score on literally every drive!!!???

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Hating?

I wouldn't say I've ever seen a post from a Rams fan pertaining to Jackson that can be categorised as 'Hateful'. There have been posts that object to the way he goes around his business on occasion and that's natural. On the basis that Jackson himself saw the need to apologize, I would say that he recognised that he may not have behaved in the right way with regard to his team-mates.

Any posts that have pointed this out therefore, are merely illustrating what Jackson himself seems to be aware of and therefore not so much 'hateful' as merely observant.

He is an extremely talented young man with a very high opinion of himself whose public pronouncements are ocasionally unpalatable in my view. I want him to do well and be all that he can be but I'm convinced that he can do so without the need to tell everyone. If he gets it done we and the NFL will be all too aware of it in any case.

The NFL has ways of recognising and rewarding performance. It isn't so generous as regards talk in lieu of performance.

As ever, whilst this kind of thing isn't the way I roll I appreciate that there are those who like that chest-thumping in-your-face kind of thing.............

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

IMO Jackson has no reason to apologize. With respect to Holt and Bruce, Jackson is your best offensive player and I'm completely shocked he wasn't on the field when it mattered most. Great players want the ball when it counts. Jackson should've gotten the ball (not that I'm upset that he didn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Other guys like T.O. are true drama queens that want to be in the spotlight and probably aren't that concerned about winning.
    I'd have to disagree. You usually don't hear too much out of TO when the team is winning, even if he only gets 1 or 2 catches. It's when the losing starts that things get ugly and he'll start complaining about not getting the ball enough, even if he's gotten a ridiculously high number of passes thrown his way.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Well, obviously, Jackson felt the need to apologize. So he must have said some things that perhaps were not made public, or he realized that maybe he's not the end-all, be-all of the Rams. Football IS a team sport, and I think he realized that in the best interest of the team, and in his future as a Ram, it's not always wise to show up fellow players and/or coaches. And that's what he was doing when he was openly second-quessing the coaching staff.

I think Jackson is a tremendous talent, and I'm surely not "hating on Jackson", but I don't always agree with the way he handles things. Such as his prediction of 2500 yards. IMHO, it wasn't a smart thing to do. No matter what his motivation was for making that statement, the remark came across as a "me-first" goal. It's great to think highly of your own talents, and quite frankly, essential. But whatever happened to being humble? You play your hardest, always try your best, and let the rest take care of itself. I guess I'm just not a chest-thumper by design. I prefer to let the results of my play speak for itself.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Hating?

I wouldn't say I've ever seen a post from a Rams fan pertaining to Jackson that can be categorised as 'Hateful'.
    You beat me to it Pang.

I agree, there may be some people here that objected with the way Jax was perceived in expressing his feelings (perhaps more, BTW, as a RB than as a spoiled athlete star [and far less, much less than a T.O.]) ... but I don't think there is anyone criticizing him to the point of hatred.

:bash: He is our man, for crying out loud! A good man.

I like SJ and I suspect the reason he apologized was to take responsible and proactive ownership of the situation in case there was any doubt among his teammates. In return, I believe every single Ram player respects him and probably took said apology as a sign of maturity and class. If anything, it will serve as a cohesiveness factor and, hopefully, as a spark to light up a Rams rush'n rumble!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Personally I think they took the apology from a "leader". I'd really like to see him become more of a leader, he's a fiery player with an attitude and brings confidence to our team, along with the itch to win every game we play in. Thats what a team needs, and thats what Jackson brings.

Jackson just wants to win, and its as simple as that.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I'd really like to see him become more of a leader, he's a fiery player with an attitude and brings confidence to our team, along with the itch to win every game we play in. That's what a team needs, and that's what Jackson brings.

Jackson just wants to win, and it's as simple as that.

RF, your wish may very well be in the making. :r

As I said, hopefully the quasi incident of SJ's outburst will spark some kind of fire in the Rams offense and thus, inherently, transform Jax into a leader. That adds weight and influence to his persona and value to his RB engine.

You're right, that's what a team needs and right now WE need it for sure! We can all rest assured, just as well, that SJ is aware of the requirement to succeed with the Rams scores, the objectives of the offense and his role therein -- hey, even his personal goals, nothing wrong with shooting for these in the process!

May this be a turning point for the better in SJ and Rams. :bash:

Linehan said he didn't need any apology.

"This shows you how mature he is and what an accountable person he is," Linehan said. "He knows it's not productive to get cross with people, but that's what happens."

Jackson said he addressed the team because he wanted to make sure no one got any information second-hand, and also because he wanted to explain himself.
    -- R.B. Fallstrom, AP Sports Writer
    Precisely what I meant yesterday about SJ being mature and responsible, taking ownership, and being proactive as well. // I like how Brett Romberg put it, saying they, the Rams players, told Jax 'forget about it, let's roll; we've got another game to play'.

No doubt SJ is being perceived as a true / fiery competitor. :r

RF16, as to your statement: "Jackson just wants to win, and it's as simple as that", I'm afraid not so. Every Ram, especially now, 'just wants to win'. From Atogwe to Wilkins, Bulger to Bartell, and Carriker to Klopfenstein, they all just want to win. The desire and the potential are there ... but it's not as simple as that.

Still. I think I know what you mean with Jax.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-20-2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Quote

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Well, obviously, Jackson felt the need to apologize. So he must have said some things that perhaps were not made public, or he realized that maybe he's not the end-all, be-all of the Rams.
    What I got from reading his quotes was that the reason he apologized was basically because of the media taking things like this out of context and making him out to be a me-first player. He didn't want any players who weren't present to hear him vent his frustrations to take this "incident" the wrong way. Both Linehan and Bulger said they were not bothered by Jackson's outburst and Bulger even seemed surprised that Jackson apologized, saying it was unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER
    Such as his prediction of 2500 yards. IMHO, it wasn't a smart thing to do. No matter what his motivation was for making that statement, the remark came across as a "me-first" goal.
    I don't see what's so wrong with making personal goals (I don't see it as a prediction) for the season. Perhaps it wasn't the smartest thing to make that goal public, but he has stated numerous times that getting this team to a Super Bowl comes first - he believes if he achieves that goal of 2500 yards, it would mean that the Rams are doing very well and would be in the playoffs and/or the SB.

:l

-jake-

Drew is offline Registered User

pre-last season the majority of us had the attitude of "put up or shut up" where SJ is concerned(including myself) he put up and he will have to do a lot worse than 2 fumbles in a game for me to be turning on him now!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

For my part I never said anything "hateful" regarding S. Jackson. If anything I have mentioned that the Rams are under using him and that there are a varity of ways to maximize his productivity and longivety.

Sadly a running backs career is often short. The way Linehand is using him deminished SJ potentual. I still suggest the Rams either need a smaller/quicker Runningback as a change up; even pairing them up in the back field. If not another Runningback a bruiser Fullback would be a welcome plus.

SJ is a monster and when he his loose in the second level he is hell on wheels. Plays that get him pass the line only plays to his strengths.