Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: You have to admit...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    though I believe the quote actually originated in Psalm 28(b), Verse 4.2(a)(1)(C), which reads "do not claimeth thou is an expert by mere recitation, lest thou be comparest to the hairy beasts of the forest."
    Psalm 28(b), Verse 4.2(a)(1)(C) ???
    You're killin' me here, chief. :redface:

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: You have to admit...

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    For a guy who suggested a little give and take was necessary with certain statements when someone's trying to make a point, you're sure being fairly defensive and rigid about the wording of my thread. I wasn't literally asking everyone to admit how good this made the Rams look, yet you seem to suggest my thread was basically calling everyone out.

Go figure.
    So, how does it feel? Yes, I understand the use of your generalization, but I still don't agree with it. I really think Jackson fell to the Rams. And like coy bacon said, I think they drafted him out of common sense. I really do not have a problem with the wording of your statement. I have a pretty good idea what you are BS'n about and it was not my intention to mix words about your statement per se, rather, my main contention is that Martz said too much for there to be a smokescreen or for the Rams to look like geniuses.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    So, how does it feel?
    I wouldn't have blinked an eye about your saying "I do not have to admit that nor do I agree with it" had you not advised me in the other thread that give and take was necessary when someone was trying to make a point. Apparently give and take is necessary with Mok's statements, but not mine...? I dunno, just trying to figure it out myself.

As for the rest of your post, all I offered was a theory. Like I said in the longer theory I presented, I may be giving Mike Martz and the Rams a lot more credit than they deserve. Unless we see their pre-draft big board and do some interviews as to what their rankings were, I guess we'll never know how it all transpired.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Wink Re: You have to admit...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Exactly. I mean what would they have to gain by saying the knee is shot. That's like playing poker with your hand facing out. Show your opponent your cards and then react to what they do.
    Well he did exactly what you are saying he should not have done. Granted, it was probably not intentional, but none_the_less, that is what he did by going into details about the surgery.

:ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I wouldn't have blinked an eye about your saying "I do not have to admit that nor do I agree with it" had you not advised me in the other thread that give and take was necessary when someone was trying to make a point. Apparently give and take is necessary with Mok's statements, but not mine...? I dunno, just trying to figure it out myself.
    I said, that was not my intention, Nick. It just came out that way in order to make a point about your topic being worthy of speculation during the offseason. Go back and read the posts. There was some contention as to whether this was a worthy topic for discussion and I was trying to make a point that it was. Basically, I was defending your topic. I really do like you Nick. You are an intelligent person. I like reading your opinions and I am glad you are a ClanRam member.

Well he did exactly what you are saying he should not have done. Granted, it was probably not intentional, but none_the_less, that is what he did by going into details about the surgery.

I must have missed the interview. He actually gave details about the surgery saying that the knee was shot?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I guess you believe that you are an expert in the Old Testament because you can rattle off a quote or two. I'd rather understand its meaning than have a few quotes memorized, but I guess that's just me.

Kind of reminds me of another quote (which I'll paraphrase) - "Yes, apes do read the Old Testament. They just don't understand it."

That comes from the classic A Fish Called Wanda, though I believe the quote actually originated in Psalm 28(b), Verse 4.2(a)(1)(C), which reads "do not claimeth thou is an expert by mere recitation, lest thou be comparest to the hairy beasts of the forest."

Ahh, the poor keys, slaves to their ever-rambling master.

Av builds a strawman: "I guess you believe that you are an expert in the Old Testament because you can rattle off a quote or two"

Not at all Av, but I never claimed to be a OT expert. Obviously I'm able to spot another "non-expert" as well. :tongue:

Av tries to gain the upper hand: "I'd rather understand its meaning than have a few quotes memorized, but I guess that's just me."

Bah Av, You should try to "understand" the quote in question before moving on to other quotes. I hope that your expertise in "OT" is better than your understanding of the proverb in question, (stated here with Twain's panache): "Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and remove all doubt".

Av, you're doing a great job at removing all doubt. Solomon was thinking of someone just like you when he said that.

My last post on this thread. Peace, out.

I must have missed the interview. He actually gave details about the surgery saying that the knee was shot?
    He went into details about the surgeon pricking the bone in order to stimulate cartilage growth. If the cartilage is shot and they need to prick the bone in order to stimulate growth I certainly would suspect that the knee is a major question mark.

He is not going to say that the knee is shot, but certainly going into extensive details about the surgery is no where near a smokescreen. It is not too hard to read between the lines, given the fact that it was his second knee surgery in less than a year, his age, mileage and previous knee injuries. For god sakes, how long do you think a NFL RBs knees will hold out? If well informed fans have an idea as to an answer to this; what do you suppose NFL people, who are paid to know some things, read into the details of a second knee surgery in less than a year?

adarian_too is offline Registered User

I have thought for some time that nothing could make my ears ring worse than some of what sMartz has said in public. But that was until some of the boys came back from a Tour to The Hollow and shared some "borrowed" fireworks ... a couple of 500 lbers and a bunker buster later and I know we got just the fireworks for Osama - just in case you checking into a football site ...

But back to sMartz and what he says or doesn't say. Where I line up with Ferter is in the sense that sMartz needs to employ circumspection. Of course he doesn't tackle, block , blah, blah, blah. But he does have to MOTIVATE. And therein lies the rub. His words are important. For too many reasons to go into, he needs to navigate through all the media tenacles to impart wisdom, direction, strategy, insight, and belief. To me he shouldn't treat the language so casually depending on who his audience is.

Is it time for a rah-rah speech? Should he be feinting left in order to go right? How little does he have to say and still manage to fool people into believing what he said made sense? I don't know. But that is part of the craft he should have learned by now. It just strikes me that the less ammo he would give others to discredit him would serve him better. Something about discretion being the better part of valor.

He went into details about the surgeon pricking the bone in order to stimulate cartilage growth. If the cartilage is shot and they need to prick the bone in order to stimulate growth I certainly would suspect that the knee is a major question mark.

He is not going to say that the knee is shot, but certainly going into extensive details about the surgery is no where near a smokescreen. It is not too hard to read between the lines, given the fact that it was his second knee surgery in less than a year, his age, mileage and previous knee injuries. For god sakes, how long do you think a NFL RBs knees will hold out? If well informed fans have an idea as to an answer to this; what do you suppose NFL people, who are paid to know some things, read into the details of a second knee surgery in less than a year?
    As I said earlier...
    I mean what would they have to gain by saying the knee is shot. That's like playing poker with your hand facing out. Show your opponent your cards and then react to what they do.
    If Martz said anything along these lines (as you say he did), then yes he said too much. Thank you for the information. I was basing my comments from the interviews I heard in which Martz was talking about the success of the surgery and Faulk's readiness for this fall. In fact, Martz was drawing comparisons with his Faulk-is-ready-to-go talk to last summer's Warner-is-ready-to-go talk, which elevated a few comparative eyebrows.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

To me, I don't like getting into he said/he said about HC's. They are like politicians. If they aren't kissing babies they are stealing their lollipops.

If Faulk can play he'll play, if he can't he won't. And it will be Faulk's decision.

If Martz said anything along these lines (as you say he did), then yes he said too much. Thank you for the information.
    Martz' words following the surgery back in february were reported at the old GG site. I made reference to those words and tried to discuss them at that time, but for the most part the topic just died, but here it is again. Imagine that!!

Here is the exact quote, by Martz, that was reported:

Discussing the surgery, Martz said, "The guy that did his knee out there in Los Angeles was very surprised at the conditioning of the knee. He was very happy with it. What they do is they kind of prick away at the bone to try and generate more cartilage. And they had to do a lot less of that this time."

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Ahh, the poor keys, slaves to their ever-rambling master.

Av builds a strawman: "I guess you believe that you are an expert in the Old Testament because you can rattle off a quote or two"

Not at all Av, but I never claimed to be a OT expert. Obviously I'm able to spot another "non-expert" as well. :tongue:

Av tries to gain the upper hand: "I'd rather understand its meaning than have a few quotes memorized, but I guess that's just me."

Bah Av, You should try to "understand" the quote in question before moving on to other quotes. I hope that your expertise in "OT" is better than your understanding of the proverb in question, (stated here with Twain's panache): "Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and remove all doubt".

Av, you're doing a great job at removing all doubt. Solomon was thinking of someone just like you when he said that.

My last post on this thread. Peace, out.
    Coy, I'm glad that was your last post. At this point, you're just embarrassing yourself.

maineram is offline Registered User

WOW !!! Lot's, " OFF TOPIC", stuff with this OT ramblings, Thought I had logged onto another site for a minute there. When the heck is Marshall gonna come out and put an end to all of this knee is done/not done crap. Hope it's before camp because things could get REALLLL ugly around here.
    Drafting for the future is much better than drafting for need. Picking up Jackson this year is the way to draft in my book period. Why wait until your stars are toast when replacing them. Now if his knee isn't going to be the same, or good enough to play at all, we better hope Jackson signs early and is a quick study or we'll be talking about the lack of running game again this year.

Maineram
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

txramsfan is offline Registered User

OT......you did mean offensive tackle right?

LOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast