throwback week

STLRAMSFAN Guest

You make the call

Maybe we should poll this. How many would have challenged.

Lets say the other team kicks off to your team and one of your ST bone heads steps out at the one you don’t have the advantage to see it on TV but regardless you think it was the right call would you challenge it. (Please read the following before jumping to conclusions on what should be done).

The challenge slows things down and the offense does not have to rush out on to the field cold and start at their own one when the 9ers D is all pumped up because they get to start the game with the team pinned at the one yard line. As a coach I might do that to start a game to calm every one down make the other teams players that might not have got a good look at it set there and wonder and take some of their momentum away. If I did that I don’t think I would come out and tell the media I was trying to take their momentum away and slow down the game because I would not want my team thinking I did not believe in them rushing out there pinned at the one and making the right decision.

What if that team came out after the challenge poised and drove the ball down the field? Or what if the team would have not taken the timeout rushed onto the field against a pumped up defense and an offense thinking they had to do too much and they fumbled it or thrown an INT it would have been 7-0 9ers on the first play.

Maybe a coach just wants a timeout to talk it over because a fumble, sack, INT, or failed run would turn into points for the defense. If you are going to call a timeout to talk it over why not challenge the play if you are going to burn a time out anyway.

I don’t know why any one would even question it really its not like its 3rd quarter and the team is down wasting timeouts foolishly. Maybe if the defense is pumped up and offense is down the defense gets a score if you don’t take the timeout. That timeout costs nothing and maybe even helps.

We came out of it and marched the ball down the field.

I would challenge.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: You make the call

Good points SRF!

Momentum is huge in football.

I would not have challenged based on the birds eye view of the play I had on TV. I'm not sure what type of view Martz or any of his coaches had or if they showed the replay on the bigscreen before Martz challenged.

As far as challenging just for the sake of calming everyone down: It is not a bad idea, but these are elite and experienced football players. This type of situation has arose many times in their careers and will happen many times during the course of a season on both sides of the ball.

In this case, I think the offensive players needed to find their own discipline, under the leadership of Bulger, and continue on.

Chiledog Guest

If I'm Martz, I would challenge because timeouts are meaningless and of no value to me.

jkramsfan Guest

Sounds To Me Like People Are Making Excuses For That Ill-advised Challenge, I Dont Think With Martz Replay History, That Anyone Believes He Was Trying To Slow The Niners Momentum,and If You Dont Have Any Confidence In Your Offense To Bail You Out Of That Jam,well Thats Another Thread To Be Posted,i Personally Think Martz Loves That Situation, It Allows Him To Show Off His Offense Even More, Which He Did A Nice Job Of,that Was A Nice Opening Drive Except For Not Getting Into The Endzone.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Actually it's a Martz trademark to use challenges as timeouts, so I think it's very possible he was trying to re-group on that opening play. That's what he does. Maybe it was advisable, maybe it wasn't. That being said, I would not have used the challenge. Like Ferter said, these types of situations are prepared for and I would guess Martz has a "first down from the one yard line" play in his arsenal.

I don't think anyone is making excuses. Those of us who watched on TV had a birds eye view of the play.

I was quite pissy about the challenge, but like I said, I had a birds eye view.

If Martz or his coaches did not get a good view then the challenge is not that bad of an idea.

There was the possibility of a huge change in field position plus the effect of stifling any whiner momentum.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What's the old saying? Use em or lose em... GO MIKEY!!
    LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    What's the old saying? Use em or lose em... GO MIKEY!!
    LOL LOL
    So, are you saying Martz just uses timeouts and challenges, without any reasoning, simply because they are at his disposal? If so, I think that is hogwash.

Look guys, I was pissed off, but I got a great view of the play.

What would you do if you don't get a good view? And BTW....you only have seconds to decide.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ok Ferter.... here's the deal... I watch Rams games at a fellow Ram fan's house who utterly despises Martz. He has NFL ticket and not many Ram games are nationally televised in Hawaii. When Martz makes a questionable challenge or burns what my friend considers to be a frivolous time out, he goes off big time. I then cannot but help expose one of my character flaws by goading him and uttering that old phrase: "use em or lose em" which inevitably has the desired effect.

Martz drives me crazy at times for a variety of reasons, but I don't share my friend's feelings. When things are going really well often fans take things for granted, on the other hand when adversity enters the picture people sometimes succumb to knee-jerk critisizms... myself included.

If there were a "tongue in cheek" logo available I would have used it.....

Thanks for the explanation MauiRam !!

Sounds like you and I have a lot in common when it comes to our Rams and Mike Martz.

NFL Sunday Ticket is also a Godsend in my part of the USA. I would be lost in seahawks hell without it...lol

jkramsfan Guest

You Guys Are Right, How Great Is Sunday Ticket,its The Best

Mr.Blond Guest

Quote: You Guys Are Right, How Great Is Sunday Ticket,its The Best

Yup. Even last week's game was enjoyable to watch even tho we lost. I would never have been able to watch today's game if not for NFL Sudnay Ticket, it seemed like even people in AZ weren't watching. I mean, how many empty seats did I see for a home opener? I'm glad theryre in our division. WE WON TODAY...................YES!!!!!!