general counsel Guest

You think we have problems on the offensive line now......

How do you think this line would look without orlando pace? Many advocated trading him in the off season. Many more will advocate not signing him for $20 million in the off season.

Just think of where this team would be next year with no pace, no turley, dead warner money, potentially dead turley money, potentially dead faulk money, potentially no leonard little, potentially no aeneas.....

ramming speed to all, and sign the big man,

general counsel

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: You think we have problems on the offensive line now......

GC, I agree with you to an extent. But with all the dead money we have, how can we afford Pace? Why not give him up and get 4 men in his place?

Time to rebuild...
    This space for rent...

general counsel Guest

I dont think it quite works that way, ie getting four men in his place. i think pace is affordable over the long term since i dont see any reason to believe that he wont continue to play at a very high level over the next 5-7 years.

Also, i think we have plenty of young talent, and while next year may be rough as we clear out some cap, i think this team has a very solid foundation and dont believe that a total overhaul is needed.

I also think that a guy as talented as pace is a true superstar and cornerstone player that is worth building an offensive line around. Good and relatively safe place to spend the money IMO.

general counsel

thoey is offline Registered User

GC, I wish I had your optimism. As I said, it is time to rebuild. We can't get anyone to come play here. We are basically stuck with what we have or still owe money to. For the last three years, what was the biggest named free agent that even mentioned wanting to play here? Chandler?

We have some young talent, but I wouldn't go putting them up for any future Pro Bowls yet.

Maybe, and I mean a strong MAYBE, if we had someone to light a fire under their young asses. But, we don't have that. We have Martz. And it is time to watch Wopner...
    This space for rent...

moklerman Guest

I admittadley don't follow offensive lineman closely enough to make a really good argument here so maybe someone can help me out. But let's look at a couple of the teams with dominant LT's. The Rams have Pace of course and we know how well the offense is doing right now. The Ravens have Ogden, who's been out lately, and don't seem to have missed a beat without him. With or without him they don't seem to score much. Jones in Seattle is the last guy on my list so this is where I'll need a little help. Jones and the Seahawks are the most successful of the bunch at this point but I don't know how much of the success is based on solid play on the left side.

Can anyone add any franchise LT's to the list? San Diego, New England, Pittsburgh, etc. all seem to be scoring and winning without the big name LT. It's great to have an anchor on the line but at what cost? At this point, I would rather have 5 quality(not all-pro) lineman with 5 backups that could play. Maybe this is an over-simplification of the situation and it would be very difficult I'm sure to pick up that many lineman in one off-season. But since the o-line is having trouble WITH the big contract, and has for a couple of years now, doesn't it seem feasable to try something different?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I dont think it quite works that way, ie getting four men in his place.
    It would if we're comparing the cap figures of those four guys against Pace's cap figure from his franchise tag. Now, if he signed long-term, then that cap number would be substantially lower I'm sure.

But yes, you make a great point, GC. For those that want to get rid of Pace, I ask you to close your eyes and picture what's happening on the right side of the line, and now, imagine it happening on both sides of the line. Just because we could get four men in his place doesn't mean they could adequately replace him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Without pace on this team right now we would have NO functioning offense. It would be an absolute jail break on almost every passing play and we would not be able to throw the ball down the field, which completely removes the bulk of what we do well.

general counsel