RamWraith is offline Registered User

Young fullback relishes making the big hit

Hedge**** looks forward to playing on special teams

BY STEVE KORTE

News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams rookie Madison Hedge**** has the kind of mentality that you want out of a fullback.

Hedge**** is a no-nonsense guy who takes a lot of pride in his ability to deliver a bone-jarring hit.

"You have to take pride in that," Hedge**** said." It is a lost art. It can be a fun thing. Seeing that tailback run for 100 yards, that's what I take my pride in. That's where I get my glory."

The 6-foot-3, 266-pound Hedge**** said his best hit at the University of North Carolina came against a linebacker early in his team's game against Florida State last season.

"I hit him right between the numbers," Hedge**** said. "He fell on his back."

Asked if the linebacker said anything in response to the hit, Hedge**** said, "No, there was nothing to say."

Asked if he said anything, Hedge**** said, "Yeah, I probably said a few things. I let him know I was there."

The Rams took Hedge**** with their last pick -- the 251st selection -- in the 2005 NFL draft.

When Rams coach Mike Martz telephoned Hedge**** to let him know he'd just been drafted, Hedge**** responded with, "It's about time."

"I was expecting to be drafted late, but that's out of my hands," Hedge**** said. "Whatever happens on draft day is up to the pro teams."

Hedge**** was called the "best blocking back" in the Atlantic Coast Conference by The Sporting News.

"His niftiness, if you will, to be able to move through traffic and find a linebacker in terms of being a lead blocker," Martz said of what the Rams liked about Hedge****. "It sounds like an easy thing to do, but it's not. To go full speed with guys going every which way and be able to sort that out, that's the hardest thing for a fullback to do."

Martz said Hedge**** is an effective blocker despite being somewhat tall for a fullback.

"A lot of guys who are big like that are willing to run in there and hit you, but they don't get good movement just because they don't have leverage," Martz said. "He's a natural knee bender who can get under the pads of guys much shorter than him and deliver a terrific blow. He's really a powerful blocker out of the backfield. Some guys have a knack for that.

"The other thing I like about him is that he spent some time on defense, so he has a little of that mentality."

Hedge**** moved to defensive end for the Tar Heels halfway through his sophomore season. He started 11 games on defense as a junior, compiling 55 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks.

Hedge**** moved back to fullback for his senior season.

Hedge**** also was a standout on special teams. He once hit an opposing player so hard that he bent his own helmet

"I was blocking a guy and I hit him, and my face mask bent," Hedge**** said.

Hedge**** said he was looking forward to making his mark on the Rams' special teams.

"As a rookie, you have to be able to play on special teams," Hedge**** said. "That's how a lot of people stay in this league, by playing on special teams. (North Carolina) Coach (John) Bunting used to talk about how there was offense, defense and special teams, and they were all equal to the team."

Hedge**** will battle incumbent Joey Goodspeed for the job of starting fullback in training camp.

Martz said Hedge**** has a lot of learning to do.

"There is so much for the fullback position to know," Martz said. "Other than the quarterback position, it's probably the most complicated and involved position we have.

"I'm kind of excited about Madison. I think he has a chance."

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: Young fullback relishes making the big hit

I love to see Fullbacks make very large hits,and I love to hear it on surround sound:tongue:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hey Psycho, great looking Bighorn Ram Head!

This is from the "Who are You Hoping Makes the Biggest Impact" thread:

We have a number of very promising rookies and veteran additions this year.

For now, one body I'm hoping will be thrown effectively / successfully into the line of fire is our big FB, Madison Hedgeman. I kind of imagine him as a bigger version of our former 'Hammer', blasting and smacking open some holes for Jackson and Faulk to follow through.

This guy seems to be a Hummer vehicle. ...At 6-3, 270, and having played FB at North Carolina, I hope he,

a. Makes the team,
    b. Establishes himself as a force, and,
    c. Contributes big time to our bread'n butter, steak'n potatoes running game.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Hey Psycho, great looking Bighorn Ram Head!

This is from the "Who are You Hoping Makes the Biggest Impact" thread:

We have a number of very promising rookies and veteran additions this year.

For now, one body I'm hoping will be thrown effectively / successfully into the line of fire is our big FB, Madison Hedgeman. I kind of imagine him as a bigger version of our former 'Hammer', blasting and smacking open some holes for Jackson and Faulk to follow through.

This guy seems to be a Hummer vehicle. ...At 6-3, 270, and having played FB at North Carolina, I hope he,

a. Makes the team,
    b. Establishes himself as a force, and,
    c. Contributes big time to our bread'n butter, steak'n potatoes running game.
    And gives Jackson a lot breathing time.

I have always liked the Two back offence the best...I'm suprised Martz doesnt use it more.You can add a lot more fakes, miss directions, and wear out D by halftime.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -05-02-2005 at 07:17 PM.

general counsel Guest

But in the mad mike way of thinking, its one less downfield receiver available with which to create mismatches.

general counsel

Wear out the defence in the 1st half with the 2 back offence,then kill'em with 5 wide recievers in the 2nd.change it up some game by game. wait a sec. I think he does that now,but not in the 1st half.I dont know I just want to see his playbook

RamTime Guest

I like this guy already.