Drew is offline Registered User

your views on the forgotten man of `99....

defensive co-ordinator of a unit made up of relatively unknowns,journeymen with the odd good draft pick mixed in that produced more than i think has ever truly been credited to them in the shadow of our GSOT offense .....peter giunta!

seems like nobody mentions him so i thought id bring his name up!

your opinions please?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: your views on the forgotten man of `99....

The best defense is a good offense. Guinta was fired after a horrible 2000 season in which the rams defense was just awful from week one on. People talk about martz not deserving credit, i really dont see what credit guinta deserves. Every nfl defensive coordinator will look pretty good if they have a 14-0 lead in the first quarter basically every week.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Drew is offline Registered User

i know it blew up the year after `99 but thought he deserved atleast a mention for `99!

hey it gotta be a better topic than talking about our beloved Bruce and Holt getting stuck in quicksand....i thought everything goes after that!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The 1999 defensive unit was ranked 6th overall, if I'm not mistaken. That's pretty darn good. I would like to see our 2007 version ranked that high.:r

general counsel is offline Registered User

laram, i am very very confident that if the 2007 offense scores points like the 1999 offense did, our defense will be dramatically improved, although i dont know about 6th overall!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As my esteemed colleague, GC, has already pointed out.....that '99 D had a huge advantage; the '99 O. Those GSOT teams jumped ahead early forcing opponents to play catch up. That forces their offense to go one dimensional, either lessening or basically abandoning the run game. Once that happens, any defense can start to look better. The higher an opponents pass to run percentage goes, the better the D usually does (from '99: Rams 64%, Tampa 61%, Ravens 60%, Tenn 59%, Indy 58%). But if a team is allowed to run more often, ie. lower that percentage, teams tend to struggle (Clev. 46%, Arizona 48%, Atlanta 48%)

No Defense saw fewer run attempts and a higher pass to run ratio than the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

We had London Fletcher, Dre Bly, Kevin Carter, and big hit Billy Jenkins on that squad. The first three were very good on that team.

We don't have the same talent on this squad as we did on that team. I think Bly is better than Hill, Carter was much better than any DT we have now, and Fletcher was the heart and soul of the defense, something that has been drastically missing.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    We had London Fletcher, Dre Bly, Kevin Carter, and big hit Billy Jenkins on that squad. The first three were very good on that team.

We don't have the same talent on this squad as we did on that team. I think Bly is better than Hill, Carter was much better than any DT we have now, and Fletcher was the heart and soul of the defense, something that has been drastically missing.
    Bly did a fine job at the nickel back his rookie year, Carter was Leonard Little while Little was still a LB, and while working in with Clemons, Collins and Jones, Fletcher was Fletcher (in fact, he only got better after '99).

But where did all that talent go in '00?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

i don't know, it wasn't my turn to watch them.

lol