Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Zac Stacy, Our O-line, the Panthers ..

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Zac Stacy, Our O-line, the Panthers ..

Was the game against Houston just another cruel aberration, or could it be a harbinger of what lies ahead? Zac Stacy played very well in his last two games - his first two games as our starting running back. Zac’s success running, opened up the passing game a bit. Hopefully that success will prove not to be an aberration when we face off against the Panthers.

This begs a few questions for me:

1) Is our O-line better than we think as run blockers?

2) Is Zac Stacy really as good as he’s looked in his two starts, or was it just that the Jags and Texans really stunk?

3) Is it possible that Pead, Cunningham and D. Rich simply don’t have the vision Zac does?

We’ve all heard now and again, that offensive linemen prefer to run block as opposed to pass blocking, as they get to be the aggressors. Does that O-line block harder and stay on their blocks longer when the running back they are blocking for is gaining meaningful yards consistently – moving the pile etc.? I would think the answer is rather simple: Yes.

If it is frustrating for a qb to make accurate throws, only to have his receivers drop them, is it similarly frustrating for O-linemen to block and have the rb not see the crease/hit the wrong gap/ miss the cutback lane? Sure O-linemen don’t have eyes in the back of their heads, but they do watch a ton of film. I don’t suppose we’ll ever see an O-lineman (currently playing) comment on that honestly in a television or radio interview. Can’t help but wonder though ..

If we can run successfully on the Panthers, my hopes for our team this year will certainly rise higher. At this point, I am still a “hoper” – I’ve a ways to go before becoming a believer. Did I mention that I'm a high "hoper"? That doesn't sound quite right - I mean to say I have high hopes for us next Sunday. Go Rams !!!!!
    live4ramin and Varg6 like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Zac Stacy, Our O-line, the Panthers ..

The Panthers defense is really tough....this will be the most physical team we see other than 9ers / Seahawks.....

I can't see Rams winning unless we get some big plays especially in the 4th quarter

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

I know that my O-line used to tell me all the time they wanted to audible to a run play to their side so they could destroy the defender. They never complained about pass plays, but being that we had Kevin Smith, they loved to run the ball lol.......Players like Dahl, Long, and Wells who have all been known to destroy guys when given the chance are probably similar to my line and want to run the ball every play (one can only hope).

panthers55 is offline Registered User

We have played against Peterson, Lynch and Spiller and we average giving up 86 yards a game against the run. Stacy is not going to run wild this week. The game will be on Bradford to win or lose. If he doesn't have a big game you better hope our offense lays an egg which it has on occasion. In two home games we are averaging giving up 6 points a game.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by panthers55 View Post
    We have played against Peterson, Lynch and Spiller and we average giving up 86 yards a game against the run. Stacy is not going to run wild this week. The game will be on Bradford to win or lose. If he doesn't have a big game you better hope our offense lays an egg which it has on occasion. In two home games we are averaging giving up 6 points a game.
    You also played 2nd worst team in league numbers wise with Giants and Seahawks who do not . play extremely well on road still. I believe the game will be extremely close. Which we Qb turns ball over less wins

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    You also played 2nd worst team in league numbers wise with Giants and Seahawks who do not . play extremely well on road still. I believe the game will be extremely close. Which we Qb turns ball over less wins
    I agree. Turnovers and big plays on special teams will likely make the difference. We hope for the best but don't talk smack after seeing how we played so badly against the Cardinals. We can win big or lose as well. We never which Panther team will show up. Hopefully at our house it will be the good panthers.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Your defense looks formidable, but I wouldn't use the fact that Peterson had only 62 yards to help make the case. Your offense effectively stopped Peterson by making the Vikings play catch-up, and limiting him to 10 carries. Peterson had some negative runs, but he also had a 31 yard burst and averaged 6.2 yards per carry.

I don't see Stacy running wild, but I think he can help the offense move the ball and keep the defense from teeing off on Bradford. We don't need to be explosive, just efficient, like we were against Houston.

And yes, I'm hoping your offense lays an egg, and we see the team that showed up in the 22-6 loss to the Cardinals.
    MauiRam likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What I like about Stacy is his success on first down.

In two games, he has 20 first down carries for 109 yards (average of 5.45 ypc).

That is huge. While the other backs were routinely setting up 2nd and 8-10 yards, allowing defenses to focus on rushing Bradford, Stacy has been giving the Rams 2nd and 4-6 yards, which allow for more creative playcalling and, most importantly, effective use of play action.

I think that the primary reason for this is that Stacy is a North/South downhill runner. He looks for the hole, hits it, and leans forward. He may not be a threat for an 80 yard play, but that's not really his job anyway.

If he can continue to be productive on first down, it will make Sam's life a heck of a lot easier.
    Varg6 likes this.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Is Zac Stacy really as good as he’s looked in his two starts, or was it just that the Jags and Texans really stunk
    The Jags most definitely stink, not sure how much the Texans actually stink. With that said, Stacy had a very successful career at Vandy running against some of the best college defenses in the country.
    MauiRam likes this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Tell me again how the Seahawks don't play well on the road and don't score points. Lynch is rolling and the Seahawks have 24 in the third already in Arizona. Yeah it was no big deal to keep them to 12 points and kept Lynch to 54 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Your defense looks formidable, but I wouldn't use the fact that Peterson had only 62 yards to help make the case. Your offense effectively stopped Peterson by making the Vikings play catch-up, and limiting him to 10 carries. Peterson had some negative runs, but he also had a 31 yard burst and averaged 6.2 yards per carry.

I don't see Stacy running wild, but I think he can help the offense move the ball and keep the defense from teeing off on Bradford. We don't need to be explosive, just efficient, like we were against Houston.

And yes, I'm hoping your offense lays an egg, and we see the team that showed up in the 22-6 loss to the Cardinals.
    Peterson had 31 yards on his first 9 carries when it mattered. He got the 31 yards when Fua a crap backup was in. You are right that we made him irrelevant but what says we don't do that to Stacy as well. Lets be real here, Houston has lost 4 straight and handed that game to you. Don't expect us to be so generous. We have lead every team at halftime all year. We just need to put together a good second half and we will be very tough to beat. We are out to prove that we are legitimate and Newton is motivated to win in front of the home crowd.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Was the game against Houston just another cruel aberration, or could it be a harbinger of what lies ahead? Zac Stacy played very well in his last two games - his first two games as our starting running back. Zac’s success running, opened up the passing game a bit. Hopefully that success will prove not to be an aberration when we face off against the Panthers.

This begs a few questions for me:

1) Is our O-line better than we think as run blockers?

2) Is Zac Stacy really as good as he’s looked in his two starts, or was it just that the Jags and Texans really stunk?

3) Is it possible that Pead, Cunningham and D. Rich simply don’t have the vision Zac does?

We’ve all heard now and again, that offensive linemen prefer to run block as opposed to pass blocking, as they get to be the aggressors. Does that O-line block harder and stay on their blocks longer when the running back they are blocking for is gaining meaningful yards consistently – moving the pile etc.? I would think the answer is rather simple: Yes.

If it is frustrating for a qb to make accurate throws, only to have his receivers drop them, is it similarly frustrating for O-linemen to block and have the rb not see the crease/hit the wrong gap/ miss the cutback lane? Sure O-linemen don’t have eyes in the back of their heads, but they do watch a ton of film. I don’t suppose we’ll ever see an O-lineman (currently playing) comment on that honestly in a television or radio interview. Can’t help but wonder though ..

If we can run successfully on the Panthers, my hopes for our team this year will certainly rise higher. At this point, I am still a “hoper” – I’ve a ways to go before becoming a believer. Did I mention that I'm a high "hoper"? That doesn't sound quite right - I mean to say I have high hopes for us next Sunday. Go Rams !!!!!
    There's little doubt the O-line is a lot better than given credit for by many Ram fans.

The Jags stink and the Texans aren't there mentally, but Zac Stacy did this in college, so there's no doubt this is what he's capable of and more, when given the opportunity.

And yes, it is far beyond possible that Stacy has better vision than any of our other backs.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Panthers have a great defense, especially up front. If Stacy breaks 60 yards i will consider that a success against them. It will be a good game and TO's and penalties/mistakes will be the deciding factor IMO. Also depends on what offense shows up on both sides. This game can go either way. I will say Rams win but thats just cause im a Ram fan lol. Same as to what the Panthers are doing. Should be a good game and close to the finish, hope we crush them though.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Peterson had 31 yards on his first 9 carries when it mattered. He got the 31 yards when Fua a crap backup was in. You are right that we made him irrelevant but what says we don't do that to Stacy as well. Lets be real here, Houston has lost 4 straight and handed that game to you. Don't expect us to be so generous. We have lead every team at halftime all year. We just need to put together a good second half and we will be very tough to beat. We are out to prove that we are legitimate and Newton is motivated to win in front of the home crowd.
    Peterson is the type of runner who is going to break some big runs, provided he get a relevant number of carries, something he didn't get against the Panthers. I think you and I both know that your defense dodged a bullet by his touches being limited.

The Panthers could very well make Stacy irrelevant, but in his only two NFL starts, he's been a difference maker, and again, we don't need him to rack up big numbers, we just need him to make some plays and help keep the offense moving. Our OL is playing well, and was able to completely neutralize JJ Watt and the Texans front 7, so I think the possibility is there for Stacy to be effective.

We did beat a Houston team that was on the ropes, but the Panthers certainly don't have any quality wins, beating 0-6 NY, and 1-4 Minnesota. We beat the teams we should have, while the Panthers lost to the 2-4 Bills, and lost big to the 3-4 Cardinals (who we beat). As far as forcing turnovers, we'll see.

The bottom line here, is both teams are in a similar situation, and have something to prove. The winner is most likely going to need to win the turnover battle. The Panthers will be a tough test, but they're not world beaters, and I certainly don't fear them. My guess is the Rams don't either. I'm really looking forward to this game.
    MauiRam, bruce4life and SportsDude like this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What I like about Stacy is his success on first down.

In two games, he has 20 first down carries for 109 yards (average of 5.45 ypc). That is huge. While the other backs were routinely setting up 2nd and 8-10 yards, allowing defenses to focus on rushing Bradford, Stacy has been giving the Rams 2nd and 4-6 yards, which allow for more creative playcalling and, most importantly, effective use of play action.
    Precisely!

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The Panthers could very well make Stacy irrelevant, but in his only two NFL starts, he's been a difference maker, and again, we don't need him to rack up big numbers, we just need him to make some plays and help keep the offense moving. Our OL is playing well, and was able to completely neutralize JJ Watt and the Texans front 7, so I think the possibility is there for Stacy to be effective.
    Exactly! What's even better, is that Zac is aware of this as well. In his first two games, he's been consistent. I am hoping for more against Carolina. Our O-line has to be pretty stoked as well. Given that they've taken a lot of heat of late, I would guess Zac's performance so far must be very gratifying for the big guys. Sam is probably sleeping better as well ..

Tell me again how the Seahawks don't play well on the road and don't score points. Lynch is rolling and the Seahawks have 24 in the third already in Arizona. Yeah it was no big deal to keep them to 12 points and kept Lynch to 54 yards.
    My profound thanks there 55 for posting the third quarter score in last night’s game. Very thoughtful of you indeed. Where I live, I can’t watch the game live – I have to record it and watch later. One nice thing about our “Rams Talk” is that one can read about the Rams without spoilers - well most of the time anyway .. Feel free to drop by anytime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast