RamWraith is offline Registered User

Zygmunt heads off Martz's attempt to get play suggestion to Fairchild

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/23/2005

Even in victory, the feuding apparently continues between head coach Mike Martz and the team's front office.

Two sources told the Post-Dispatch on Sunday that a team official was denied access to the Rams' coaching booth. The team official was trying to relay a play-call suggestion from Martz to offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. According to the sources, president of football operations Jay Zygmunt wouldn't let the team official relay the information.

Martz apparently was trying to suggest that Fairchild call a specific running play in New Orleans territory.

Martz is resting and receiving treatment at home for a bacterial infection of the heart valve. He missed his second consecutive game because of the illness Sunday, a 28-17 comeback victory by the Rams.

Martz has been in fairly regular contact with members of the coaching staff since taking a leave of absence two weeks ago. On Sunday, watching from home, Martz phoned Fairchild at halftime to offer a couple of suggestions.

But unable to phone Fairchild once the second half started, Martz sent a team official to the coach's booth at the Edward Jones Dome with the play suggestion. After being conspicuous in his absence for the better part of a month, Zygmunt has been in the coach's booth the past two games since Martz has been sidelined.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Zygmunt heads off Martz's attempt to get play suggestion to Fairchild

How petty is this soap opera? Why would the President of the F.O. be in the coach's booth during a game? I guess the powerplay to remove Martz is in full swing. No matter who stays or goes, the team needs to find some unity.

I still think it all starts at the top with Georgia but I don't think the Rams have much of a chance when there's so much in-fighting.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Instead of this mass mob mentality to get rid of Martz, the mass mob should direct their focus on Zygmut.

StRams is offline Registered User

Hey, Heres some fodder for the conspiracy theorists...

They are hoping that the team wins under Vitt and In doing so this gives them an out on Martz.

If Martz is still controlling the team even in a reduced role, it might be uncomfortable answering questions about "Was Martz still calling the plays from home?","Was Martz directing the game plans?"

If I were trying to build a case to get rid of Martz, I'd want no questions about wether or not he had anything to do with the team overcomming such adversity.

I guess its not much of a conspiracy theory, but it does seem to make sense.

rammiser is offline Registered User

You guys are reading too much into this. If you were Fairchild and you were calling a game with 3 starters out would you want someone running in with a note from Martz saying here run this play. Wouldnt that piss you off just a little bit? If I was calling the plays I wouldnt want that either and maybe thats why the staff member was stopped short of the booth. Martz is on leave and it should stay that way untill he's healthy. I wonder how Fairchild feels about this now that it's out in the media it makes him look like an idiot.
    Just Fix It

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

How did Martz get that infection in his heart valve?
    sounds pretty fishy.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:06 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh, I'm definately not touching that one Psycho. Watch walking under ladders for awhile.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I still think it all starts at the top with Georgia but I don't think the Rams have much of a chance when there's so much in-fighting.
    It does start at the top.

If Georgia is an absentee owner then so beit.

That means that John Shaw is the top.

I agree that everyone in the organization needs to be on the same page and if they are not, then that begs the question as to why.

If I am the owner I would want to know why.

Why is there disharmony?

Why has Shaw put up with it?

How long has Shaw put up with it?

What kind of damage did it do, while it was allowed to fester?

Personally I have a simple outlook on this. If you as the top person have a malcontent under your employ then you damn well better fire him or I'm gonna fire both of you.

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

It said that it was a play suggestion, not a play call. He's the head coach and the offensive mind of the team. The fact that they blocked the call is the most ridculous thing I've ever heard. Screw the Rams management..No wonder the Patriots beat us in the SB..we have no unity in the organization..What a sad pathetic joke!:clanram: