adarian_too is offline Registered User

Pimpin' da Playa' of the Preseason

Well, there we were, me and the J brothers (uh, for you novices out there, that would be Jim, Jack, Johnny, and Jay), with a little Buckwheat Zydeco in the background, pondering prospects of the preseason. Generally, I should hesitate to pimp any playa’, primarily because I have such a poor track record in predicting their ultimate success. But I’m not going to let past failures deter me from making a fool of myself again. So here goes again ...

Usually my adoption of a specific player is for reasons that don’t make a whole lot of sense and is more or less predicated on some intangible quality. Take Arch for instance. I thought he was an intriguing prospect. Some would say that should have been an easy choice considering he was a 1st round draft pick. Well, my support of him was based on his use of the Plyometric Training system. That system is exceptionally novel and apparently hasn’t served Dwight Freeney too poorly. I thought Arch’s use of that training regime would serve him well in the future. Alas five years later ...

Then I was intrigued by Shanle. The Rams clearly needed LBing help when he was drafted. He seemed quite productive during the preseason – granted he was playing against 3rd & 4th stringers – but heh, they all start somewhere. What sold me on him was alleged steriod use. OK. Let’s not go down the ethics of performance-enhancing substances at the moment. Instead, let’s just say that the Rams have sorely needed a Romanowski-type-attitude in the LBing corps for way too long.

Then there was Groce. Team needed special teams play and he had returned 4 punts for TDs in college. That was enough for me. Has he even returned 4 punts for the Rams yet? Doubt it. Won’t even bother to look it up. And then there was Ivy. He had to stand on a soapbox to get to 5’9” but boy did he ever stick his nose into the fray. Still not sure why you’d let him go and keep that excuse called McDon’tald but hey that’s another story. So you can clearly see that me pimpin’ anyone is more a kiss of death than anything else. Whatever.

That brings me to this year’s fascination. Remember that other Missourian team? Yeah, that one. Remember Christian Okoye? A punishing player. Had his own interesting nickname – the Nigerian Nightmare. Well, being a fan of horror stories, I’m easily swayed by sequels, reruns, and promises of remakes being better than the original. So this year’s “Pimpin’ the Playa’ of the Preseason” award goes to Victor Adeyanju. For no other reason than I’d like to see a sequel to the Nigerian Nightmare. The Rams need a punishin’ playa’ on D. Little needs competition to rev his motor back up and nothing would serve the cause better than have someone emerge as legitimate talent.

That said, the real shout out for the preseason goes to Faulk. Yes the real playa’ of the preseason goes to Marshall Faulk. With all the nonsense spewed by the moronic Michael Irwins of TV, it’s refreshing to see someone like Faulk come to the mike (as an NFL Direct analyst) with class, intelligent commentary, and speaking with insight and not a mouthful of marbles. He even dresses better than Mike. So the Playa’ of the Preseason award goes to Marshall Faulk – for if nothing else – NOT being like Mike …

coy bacon Guest

Re: Pimpin' da Playa' of the Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    So this year’s “Pimpin’ the Playa’ of the Preseason” award goes to Victor Adeyanju.

Farewell Victor, we hardly knew ye.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Pimpin' da Playa' of the Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Farewell Victor, we hardly knew ye.
    If any one was going to pick up the paradox in this piece, I would have bet on you.