THEFIELDGOAL Guest

The Field Goal: Rams' Crisis Confirmed

Deep inside the Edward Jones Dome, locked away in a file cabinet somewhere near the desk of the former Mike Martz' past playbooks, is a huge binder containing the formula on how to utilize the Greatest Show on Turf. It is said to contain valuable information for newly hired coaches. It's no doubt quite an intriguing novel. Mike Martz would have used it on Sunday, but given his unfriendly exit, he is probably laughing up a storm in the Motor City.
    Coach Linehan's thoughts on Sunday in Seattle sounded more like his pregame speeches to date. Maybe something like "We've just had to modify things a bit and set our sights higher to achieve our goal." Hey Mike Martz I beg you now to ship the cabinet key to the dome immediately.
    Crisis confirmed in one of the biggest rivalries to date. Forget ***** versus Rams. That's old news. It is the Hawks versus the Rams. But only one team comes out to win. After starting 4-1 early in the season, Coach Linehan seemed to have put together a balanced attack. But now at 4-5, it's seems that the modified plan has been exposed. The Governor's Cup who cares about that, it's only state pride on the line versus the Chiefs. Divisional rivalries?
    Marc Bulger began the season as the man at the helm. He was the QB to lead us with this balanced attack. But at 4-5 Coach Linehan has strapped his hands and also has eliminated his playmakers. No QB can produce in this so called balanced attack.
    Steven Jackson the man in Linehan's system is expected to take this team to the promiseland. On Sunday this running back was just shy of beating the playmakers on receiving yards and catches. It's not good football.
    When you're playing for a coach that has no confidence in proven playmakers like Torry Holt & Isaac Bruce throughout the game, it is a sad thing to see. Endzone play why not give the best opportunity to a playmaker to punch it in. But not this coach. Let's give it to an unknown rookie. Another concern, contest a catch but ruin a score by either as described above or a sure field goal.
    As Linehan goes, so go the Rams. In the five losses none of his offensive weapons played a key role and his defense had to do all the work. What is this the Steel Curtain? Hardly a solid defense but they are playing like they do not have any help.
    We are starting to look like the New Orleans Saints under Jim Haslett. It is not a good feeling.
    Mike Holmgren is a relieved man. He now knows that the Rams will have to earn a playoff berth just like the Steelers of last year. He has placed a rookie backup in Seneca Wallace and this kid even with the 2 fumbles today beat the Rams. And Maurice Morris just ran like a mad man on the Rams defense that was holding fort.
    Look at the stats and you can see that Wallace and Morris combined for 154 yards and averaged gain of 51 yards. They were the offensive power that killed the Rams.
    Who cares if Leonard Little played his heart out. Or that Atogwe was running to catch everyone getting away. Offensively speaking Coach Linehan, You did not care!!!!!
    Some of you will probably think I am being harsher at a first year coach. But this is a huge letdown. This coach inherited a great offensive unit with all the tools needed to succeed. Look back at Mike Martz when Dick Vermeil left. He quickly adapted. And I know this is not the same situation. But a veteran coaching staff could have helped this coach with the adaptation. The offensive coordinator is horrible. Yes, I said it!!!
    Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt are professionals. They have played in huge games. This my friends is slap in the face when a coach does not call on his best players to make the plays necessary to score. With this duo there is no question why they cannot score in every game. If this was the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team, the fans would be screaming murder. We as Rams fans must be more vocal and demand that this coach utilize these playmakers in a better fashion. A waste of talent is a horrible thing to allow.
    The defense I have to praise for all their hard work. Every week they have come to play and contain the opponents. But they will break soon. This defense gives up the big plays to often and they pay the price when they do not get turnovers. But if this is the only hope each week to create turnovers to win. Then we are in for a huge breakdown. No, let's get truthful this day. This team is in a crisis. I talked about in the previous article versus the Seahawks. But today the Seahawks have confirmed that the Rams are not scary or even intimidating. And this my fellow Rams fans is not acceptable. We need to speak up just like the 12th man in the rainy city. We must be loud and clear on our expectation. The players I feel are not the problem. It's the lack of plays given to each playmaker to make plays. Bruce & Holt will not come out and publicly say it. But I will. Coach Linehan wake up and smell the fresh brewed coffee.

It took Jeff Wilkins and Leonard Little to make it a descend game. But take all the points off the board and now you can see why I am not accepting the playcalling by this head coach. Give coach Linehan his joy. Steven Jackson scores. Seahawks win 24-7. Yes, that is the real score if you go with Coach Linehan's playbook outcome.
    Seahawks 24-22 sounds a lot more competitive. That's what we had expected.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Re: The Field Goal: Rams' Crisis Confirmed

Mike Martz would have used it on Sunday, but given his unfriendly exit, he is probably laughing up a storm in the Motor City.

Those in hell would be unwise to laugh at those in purgatory.

Scidog68 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIELDGOAL View Post
    Mike Holmgren is a relieved man. He now knows that the Rams will have to earn a playoff berth just like the Steelers of last year. He has placed a rookie(HE'S A 4 YEAR VET, FYI) backup in Seneca Wallace and this kid even with the 2 fumbles today beat the Rams. And Maurice Morris just ran like a mad man on the Rams defense that was holding fort.
    Look at the stats and you can see that Wallace and Morris combined for 154 yards and averaged gain of 51 yards. They were the offensive power that killed the Rams.

The defense I have to praise for all their hard work. Every week they have come to play and contain the opponents. But they will break soon.
    It took Jeff Wilkins and Leonard Little to make it a descend game. But take all the points off the board and now you can see why I am not accepting the playcalling by this head coach. Give coach Linehan his joy. Steven Jackson scores. Seahawks win 24-7. Yes, that is the real score if you go with Coach Linehan's playbook outcome. Seahawks 24-22 sounds a lot more competitive. That's what we had expected.
    Did we watch the same team? Whatever you have smoked/shot/snorted and/or ingested needs to be shared in order to make some semblance of sense from this post. Please reread certain relevant portions of your post and see if you can reconcile them. Is it just me? Am I suffering from some depression-induced dementia?

I'm...I'm...I don't know what to say. WTF?

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

Hey Scidog,
    It's the playcalling i have the issue with. As for Wallace he has just started his full swing into a starter and he seemed more like a rookie in the pressures by Leonard Little. As for the outcome. It's pretty clear Coach Linehan has the favor towards his running back versus his veteran stars. It might have been the rain if i confused you.

methodical_reaction Guest

So much has changed in the past year for this team and as much as I love the Rams of yore, the awesome vertical power fo the Greatest Show On Turf, I remember also the stat that said we were nearly undefeated when Marshall Faulk got at least 25 carries a game and I watched time and time again Marshall finish each game with 10-15 carries and I silently prayed for Martz to balance out his offense. Now I know that Stephen Jackson is no Marshall Faulk but I believe in this young man and I believe that he will carve his own niche in the annals of the NFL, however due to all of the changes that we have been made to endure over the past year we all knew that this wasn't going to be a year of smooth sailing. Yes we found aspects of this team that we could be positive about but, I don't think anyone can honestly tell me that they thought that St. Louis had the tools to win the super bowl this year. We can be frustrated with the playcalling, we can question the talent level of the players, we can even take out our frustration on the FIRST YEAR head coach, but if you can sit there and tell me that you honestly thought that we were going to dominate and intimidate this year your delusional as well as high.

I will still cheer my heart out for the Rams for the rest of this year and I will be right back beside you next season and the next, but I am realistic and the chemistry just wasn't there for us this year and we will probably have to win out all but one of our games to make the playoffs 10-6 will probably get it done but judgeing on the immense growing pains that we are suffering it will be extremely difficult.

steve8714 Guest

Unfortunately, Coach Linehan lost faith in his defense. This is obviously wgy he failed to attempt the earlier 48 yard field goal. He didn't think they could stop Maurice Morris and Seneca Wallace. Wallace, however, looks like Payton Manning in the first half, Buddy Humphrey in the second. He contributed greatly to the ***** loss also. I am not one to urge anyone's firing, but this seems like a lateral move AT BEST from coach Martz. are we only to choose between crazy and stupid?