THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

TheFieldGoal:Memories-1989 Breaking Point

1989 Breaking Point
    Posted June 11,2002

The Los Angeles Rams of 1989 were an offense that had everything. The Rams that year had a 4,000 yard passer (Jim Everett), a 1,000 yard rusher (Greg Bell), and two 1,000 yard receivers in Henry Ellard and Willie "Flipper" Anderson. To quote Coach John Robinson "We're the most exciting team in football". The Rams only had one obstacle, their nemesis the *****.

The Rams coming into the season truly believed that this was the year to go all the way to the Super Bowl. The Zampese,Everett,Anderson and Ellard combo was explosive. Jim Everett passed for 4,310 yards and led the NFL in TD passes with 29. In Henry Ellard , Jim Everett threw 70 passes for 1,382 yards and 8 TD's. And on the other side Willie "Flipper" Anderson caught 44 passes for 1,146 yards.

In the backfield, the Rams had so many options that Greg Bell rushed for 1,137 yards on 272 carries, Robert Delpino rushed 368 yards on 78 carries, and Cleveland Gary rushed for 163 yards on only 37 carries. The offensive combo of Jackie Slater, Doug Smith, Irv Pankey, and Tom Newberry made for good coverage and excellent timing for Everett all year. In Slater,Smith, and Newberry the Rams had Pro Bowlers they could count on.

On defense, the Rams were led by Jerry Gray, Kevin Greene, Vince Newsome, and Michael Stewart. Jerry Gray contributed to 6 interceptions and 79 tackles. Vince Newsome and Michael Stewart were awesome as well with 89 and 72 tackles respectively to finish first and third in team tackles. And the monster Greene, who led the team with 16 1/2 sacks and ranking him fourth overall in the NFL was unstoppable. The only problem in 1989 was a pass defense that stunk, ranking last in the NFL. Defense wins championships and this year was not to be.

The Rams, who had not won an NFL Championship since 1951 were thinking 1989 was the year. One obstacle was the ***** with Joe Montana. The fourth best defense in the NFL vs the last ranked defense in the NFL. The regular season ended with a discouraging result by being routed 30-3 in the NFC Championship Game.
    The comment to end the 1989 season was made by Coach Robinson " The future starts tomorrow". When asked about the risk of changing from a 3-4 to 4-3 defense after the route in 1989. Coach Robinson summed up the new decade with " There is no risk because we were failing so badly. How
    painful will the transition be? My guess is not bad." And the ugly 90's
    began.

THE FIELD GOAL

blood85 is offline Registered User

Re: TheFieldGoal:Memories-1989 Breaking Point

Makes me HATE the ***** that much more!

Ram101 is offline Registered User

burn them skurvy dogs, burn UM I say, BURN UM!!

Boogie Down Belmar is offline Registered User

What a year that was. People seem to always forget Greg Bell, I;m glad you pointed out his stats. I was at both the Eagles and Giants playoff games that year. I have a piece of the seat from Veteran's Stadium that I was in (a drunk friend kicked it off and i decided I'd keep it). I'll never forget that catch in OT by Flipper..... and then the '90s. Ugh.