Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By general counsel

Thread: My Latest Mock

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

My Latest Mock

1. KC Luke Joeckel - They can't trade out of this one, and even if they can't deal Albert, Luke's the guy, unless they surprise with Fisher or Floyd or Luteleilei.
    2. Jacksonville - Sharif Floyd DT. You rebuild inside out, and Floyd may be the best in the draft. Eric Fisher is an outside shot, but Jags BADLY need to sell tickets, and having a Florida Alum at DT is gonna sell more than an OT.
    3. Oakland - Gno Smith - ALWAYS a wild card, and this would be the wildest of all(Other than Bar kley or Manuel of course) If they go sane, it's Luteleilei, who replaces Seymour to anchor their D. His amazing pro day numbers and clean bill of health put him right to the top again.
    4. Phi. - Eric Fisher OT - A no brainer. I can't see them going any way but OT at thos point.
    5. Detroit - D. Milliner CB - A sure thing cover corner, in that division, makes more sense than a raw pass rusher like Ziggy Ansah.
    6. Cleveland - Dion Jordan LB - a perfect fit opposite Krueger in the 3-4
    If Milliner is there, they would take him instead.
    7. Arizona - Matt Barkley - USC - I'm just not sure a black QB would sell in the desert, but if they can forget Leinart, this could be the guy. Will depend on his workout. If they don't go QB, or Barkley is gone, They go OT LAne Johnson.
    8. Buffalo - Cordarelle Patterson WR They go for need, and excitement, over an O tackle or DE. They somehow get Ryan Nassib to be their QB, probably round two.
    9. Jets Ziggy Ansah - OLB/DE - Rex Ryan drools over guys like this.
    They cpould go RB if Patterson falls.
    10. Tennessee - Jon Cooper G They take him over Warmack, because he projects also to center.
    11. SD - Lane Johnson OT - The Char gers wil;l be sweating this out, and might even deal up for OT, they need it sooooo bad. IF all three OT are gone, they could go ith Warmack, or a WR.
    12. Mia. -Sheldon Richardson - No more need at WR, so they take best player available. May be a steal at 12.
    13. T.B. Xavier Rhodes - An easy pick, unless they like D. Trufant better, or Richardson falls.
    14. Car - Jarvis Jones LB - Would give Carolina a tremendous LB corps. Could go with T. Austin to replace Smith
    15. N.O. Barkevious Mingo OLB - A perfect mesh of need and value, and a Louisiana State Alum.
    16, RAMS - Tavon Austin -WR - Because the Rams have an extra pick, they use one to provide an extra dimension. A bit of a reach over Chance Warmack, but they hope Rok Wat kins is that guy, and they will go C or G, o both later.
    17. Pitts - Bjorn Werner OLB/DE - They need to replace Harrison, and though they could go WR, RB, or OL, this seems the best option.
    18. Dall - Margus Hunt - Solid SMU 3-4 DE. Could go OL or DB
    19. NYG - Chance Warmack - Need and great value. Could also go Alec Ogletree -LB , if Warmack and Cooper gone.
    20. Chi - Alec Ogletree LB - Bears have LB need. Could go Manti Teo, with new defense scheme coming in.
    21. Cinc - DJ Fluker - Replace one big Bama tackle with another. Could go WR here, or DB.
    22. RAMS - Eric Reid -They'll try to trade down with WR need met and all guards and tackles gone they would want. I really see a deal down here, for a team needing a QB, TE, maybe RB If stuck here, Reid is right there among the best prospects that fit need. The best here left are probably RB and TE, so .......

If they did deal Saffold, (Don't see it)could go OT here. They like Reid better than Vaccaro, Elam, or Cyprien. Could go D. Trufant CB here as well. Lacey would be an outside outside outside shot, as could DT Sylvester Williams.

The whole draft seems to hinge on the number of QB in early/mid round one. The more the better for the Rams fortunes.
    Randart likes this.

Barry Waller

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: My Latest Mock

I like austin, but if warmack is available and we pass on him, i will crap my pants.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    ManofGod likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Austin is much better value than any OG in the draft. Wouldn't suprise me in the least if the Rams made such a move.

IMO, you won't find Austin in the 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th round, but you can certainly find a good OG.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We can certainly agree to disagree fortune, i respect your opinions. From my perspective, the probability of performance and durability of a guy like warmack far exceeds the risk of a 175 pound wide receiver, albeit a dynamic guy that i like a lot and have no problem with. You may not find austin in the fourth round (although givens came in the fourth round and he was a pretty explosive guy for us last year), but you have an incredibly low liklihood of finding a pro bowl caliber guard in those rounds either. We already have rock watkins in the mid round guard category.

While receiver is a need, i think there is always real risk with rookie wide receivers, let alone the durability concerns with any smaller guy like that. No knock on austin, but to me, given that we have need in both areas (and frankly i think a greater need at guard), i think warmack is a better guard prospect than austin is a receiver prospect. Warmack is an every down guy for the next several years. Austin is fast and elusive and will not be an every down guy. I dont see him as a #1 receiver type (i dont know any guys of his size that are) and i see warmack as a guy helping to solidify our oline for years to come.

To me, nothing is going to help sammy and for that matter our existing young receivers, more than a solid offensive line. More time to throw and better run blocking will improve our down and distance and better help our receivers get open. Austin is flashier, and certainly riskier. Warmack is a plug and play guy that has far lower risk, and at this point, for the rams, i think filling the holes for the long run while also helping us immediately out of the gate with an every down starter is the best way to go.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    cfh128 likes this.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Out of all the mocks ive seen on Clanram thus far, this is the one I can see happening, if I had to choose.

I'd love this first round.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Thanks,
    I've been doing this a long, long time, since 1970. I won a Super Bowl Championship football signed by all the 1999 Rams at a draft party in 2000. I've been right on some, like Wistrom, Robert Holcombe, Pace, Long, Bradford, Holt, Bly, Laurenaitis, Carriker (argh), Barron (double argh).

I would have taken the same guy who fell, in he case of Kennedy, Quinn, Jackson.

When the Cardinals were here, I got it right with EJ Junior, OJ Anderson, Neil Lomax, Freddie Jo Nunn, and when they shocked us with horrible pick after horrible pick, inevitably the guys I wanted, like Clay Mathews Sr, Jack Tatum and neil Colzie, became big stars.

Still got all my old Buchsbaum books from 1976 on.

I am a completely insane draftnik, who lives by high standards, obsessed if you will.

Here i the thing about mocks. On mine, if the QB doesn't go where you think, it all falls different from then on.

I can accurately tell you who the top tier guys are, who will go top 11 or 12, and I can tell you who the next best 12 to 15 are, and I can tell you which positions are likely to be there in round two, and the second #1 and even round three and four.

But a mock can fall apart with one mistake, like a house of cards.

I will say THIS. I have done more studying, and looking at video, this year than ever in 43 years as a draftnik, draftnik #1 in St Louis.

It got me on a couple radio shows here with Bernie Miklasz, the day they traded for and drafted Pace, a marathon show with H Balzer in 1997, when we nailed the Wistrom and Holcombe picks. Got to interview Toby Wright, Kevin Carter and other Rams that day. Also was on with Jim Holder and legendary St Louis/ Mizzou football announcer Bill WIlkerson. Talking about the old cardinal days, t hose horrible drafts, with those two was a real treat.

Also did a radio show with Tony Twist at his bar on the draft. He knew nothing about football.

Then I did one with Frank Cusimano, who I consider a fr iend and one of my favorite St Louis media guys.

I hate mocks that have bogus trades, that don't explain picks or suggest alternatives if guys don't fall, that just show no sense of studying who is looking at who, what connections t here may be with coaching staffs and where needs are.

I work at it, and I like to share the obsession now that there is an internet, and I'm not some sad guy watching ESPN, after skipping work to watch the tuesday draft, leafing through my Kiper and Buchsbaum, no Internet to keep track of picks.

Now it's a huge industry, who knew. I am a purist, who thinks it's wrong to make oney off this religion.
    Barry Waller

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I think the Chiefs want to deal down and I wonder if Buffalo hasn't put themselves in the situation where they need to make the deal.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

The only problem with picking Austin 16th is he might not be there. I think his playmaking ability is now very well documented and I wouldnt be surprised at all if a team in the top 15 fell in love with his potential. But, if he makes it to 16, I wouldnt be surprised at all if the Rams take him, as it has been stated by Snead that they want playmakers.

Aussie Dave is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Austin is much better value than any OG in the draft. Wouldn't suprise me in the least if the Rams made such a move.

IMO, you won't find Austin in the 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th round, but you can certainly find a good OG.
    i've heard a lot of mentions from Snead that the team needs weapons, playmakers etc.
    combine that with Boudreau doing great work with the OL, i think we'd go Austin.
    i guess it all depends on their board though..

Randart is offline Registered User

Wish I knew the exact quote to that Aussie Dave, I believe Les said... "Play makers on both sides of the ball" So that is exactly what this 1st round would be for us. Nice Mock, Barry! Tell me if you can who you think we might take at Running Back? I really like Jon Franklin best. Also would love to see your projections for just the Rams from 2nd to 7th rounds. You don't need to post entire draft. Would love to draft one of the versatile O-Linemen and another safety as well as a bonus WR if it falls to us. I know we need a line backer too... Thanks again for your thoughts BW!

Last edited by Randart; -03-22-2013 at 02:43 AM.