Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

NFL Turns Down Rams on Uniforms ...

NFL turns down Rams on uniforms
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/07/2008

Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom

Plans to have the Rams wear "throwback" uniforms in their 2008 regular-season opener were scuttled when the NFL turned down the club's request.

Multiple sources told the Post-Dispatch that the Rams wanted to wear their 1999 uniforms the season the team defeated Tennessee in the Super Bowl. New owner Chip Rosenbloom confirmed that those were the plans last week at the NFL owners meetings in Florida.

"There were a number of things that we couldn't get past," Rosenbloom said.

For a variety of reasons, the league requires more than a year of lead time before a team can wear throwbacks. So believe it or not, the Rams' request was made too late under NFL guidelines.

Although disappointed, Rosenbloom said he is not upset with the NFL.

"The league has been really good about a number of things with us," he said. "I think that it was really asking a lot. But we have some other plans for the future."

Rosenbloom still wants the Rams to wear their throwbacks at some point in the future. But he'd like some feedback from Rams fans.

"It'll be interesting to know from the St. Louis fans what uniforms they like best," Rosenbloom said.

There are a variety of options for a franchise that began in 1937, and has called Cleveland, Los Angeles and St. Louis home. The Rams, in fact, are in the unique position of having won NFL championships in all three cities Cleveland in 1945, Los Angeles in 1951 and St. Louis in '99. Why not wear throwback uniforms over the next several seasons from all three championship clubs? And of course, the white-and-navy blue look from the Fearsome Foursome days of the 1960s and early '70s is another potential look.

Rosenbloom wanted to have the Rams wear the throwbacks for the '08 opener as part of a variety of ways planned to commemorate his late mother, Georgia Frontiere, this coming season. Frontiere died of breast cancer Jan. 18, leaving Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez, as majority owners of the club.

Rosenbloom said the team is finalizing plans to have players wear a commemorative patch on their uniform sleeves this season. Discussion continues on ideas for commemorative services for Frontiere in St. Louis either at the start of the preseason or start of the regular season. The services, Rosenbloom pointed out, will be celebrations of his mother's life, rather than traditional funeral services.

"We're trying to firm everything up on what we're doing," he said. "There are going to be some really good things to memorialize her. But one of the things we're being careful of is asking too much of people. To come to too many things. Or to give too much.

"We're trying to do it the right way. It's more difficult than I anticipated. The things that we're trying to do to make it special ... takes time."

Rosenbloom plans to make his first visit to St. Louis as club owner later this month and will stay through the Rams' draft.

"I'm really interested to see what we're going to be doing," he said.

jthomas@post-dispatch.com | 314-340-8197

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Turns Down Rams on Uniforms ...

Well, I can understand since our request WAS late.
    Since it is suppose to be a tribute to the late Mrs. Frontiere, I thought the NFL would allow us.
    I do like what Rosenbloom said about getting feedback from the fans.

Still, the NFL hates us. First Spygate, and now they won't let us wear throwbacks, lol.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I honestly don't see how the NFL has anything to do with the Rams wearing THEIR vintage jerseys. It's a load of crap if you ask me.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

This more then a load of crap, its bull****. I say on our season opener we wear the 99 uniforms and take the fine. Mrs Frontiere died and this would be a tribute to her and the superbowl victory and we have to wait? What kind of sick joke is this? We cant even wear a jersey that looks like 99'? With everything going on in the NFL this is just pathetic to me. I know they have there reasons but i say screw that. Goodell and the rest of them are starting to really piss me off more then already. Goodell has done some good stuff but seriously? It might not even be Goodell behind any part of this but whoever is id like to sit down with them and find out there dumb*** reason is why we cant wear a certain uniform for one game. if anyone knows why please do tell.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

yeah its disrespectful.
    the No Fun League strikes again

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

cant help but fully agree with every bit of previous posts....

shows the "respect" they say they had for Georgia wasnt that strong afterall..

RealRam is online now Registered User

It just makes me upset, disappointed.

We couldn't "apply" in time for a Rams trowback uniform version a couple of years ago to celebrate the 70th anniversary (2007)?!?

Good grief. I want a recount! AND either the 1999 or 1965-72 unis. :bash:

Ramer is offline Registered User

That rule really stinks. I don't understand why they need a years notice. Also, I don't see how what we wear effects the NFL. It's not like they want to come out in their jock straps and play.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I like all their previous uniforms but I would love to see them play in their white and navey blue uniforms.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree, it makes no sense that the NFL requires a year notice for a uniform change. It's not like it affects a any part of the game. Oh no, the FOX announcer might have to learn why they're in a throwback! It's not like the uniforms wouldn't be ready in time, and it's not like the pads underneath change, it's a shirt and pants. Come on people, it's not that hard. Required notice before the season starts(or for early games, like mid-summer), but seriously, that's a completely stupid rule.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer View Post
    I like all their previous uniforms but I would love to see them play in their white and navey blue uniforms.
    I second that motion. White and navy blue is what I'd like to see the most.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Well...that sucks for sure. I am sorry we missed the deadline, but I understand why the NFL requires prior permission. A year seems like alot of notice, but if the line was not drawn somewhere, then certain teams would abuse the policy. Helluva good idea from Chip.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I understand if the NFL has rules and you need to let them know a year in advance but when a person passes away theres noway to know this ahead of time so the league could and should make an exception here,the other owners should step up and say let the Rams do this in tribute to Georgia,to me it's just disgusting but not surprising.

ps-go with the blue and white uniforms
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -04-07-2008 at 11:58 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I might take a lot of heat over this one, and it is fine. If my thought is offensive, please, beat the crap out of me. I'm good for it. Having said that......

.....I really hope there is no attempt at anything pink on the Rams uniform. Georgia died of breast cancer, and most know, pink ribbons are worn for breast cancer awareness. Recently, the MLB did a breast cancer awareness day where several players used pink bats. I appreciate the thought, but it just wasn't exactly right. Know what I mean?

My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and if I were ever on one of those celebrity competitions where they raise money for some charity, mine would be the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research. However, I reeeeeeeeeeeally hope, the Rams don't come out in anything pink this year. It will just be a little............odd.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

It'll be interesting to know from the St. Louis fans what uniforms they like best,"
    I know which ones I hate. The white pants have to go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)