RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bosh VI, Ch. 23: The Year's End

The Year's End

The warriors wipe the dust from their armor, sadly smiling as they prepare their equipment for storage until next summer. Their shields are scarred, their helmets marred. Not one man among them shows sadness.

The warriors were victorious today, and show the pride in that accomplishment. Even though the victory could be viewed as an empty one, the men did not see it that way. They understood why they did not have the opportunity to continue their quest. Earlier this year, some poor choices had doomed their hopes.

But they were still proud of what they had done.

Far to the south of where the warriors celebrated their bittersweet victory, the people of the Clan were busy speaking of what might have been, what is, and speculating on what will be. Of course, there are some who believe the Legion did not perform their best, but most are happy that the year ends with the victory against the Norsemen.

People speak of the great warriors of the past; others speak of how our current warriors will do greater things than those who came before; still others speak of those who shall soon depart.

It is, indeed, a bittersweet day.

As I stand in the midst of the Legion, I see the emotions displayed upon the faces of all those who have gathered here. I understand the things I see, the frustration, the pride, the wonder, and the memories. I look to Maternia, my beloved, and I see the encouragement in her eyes. I know she wishes for me to say something to those here, but I do not know what words to say. She has told me I have a gift for speaking, often speaking too much. I hope that the look in her eyes is her way of telling me to speak my mind.

“Fellow Clansmen – I feel I must say this to you.”

“The year has come to an end. Our season of battle has also come to an end on this day. We had hoped to be strong enough to claim the ultimate prize, to claim victory against all others, but it is not to be. We hoped to see improvement in our forces and strategy since last year, and we have. We hoped to see the evil of years past removed from our midst, and this has begun.”

I turn to look at my love, for I need to find more words to explain what I wish to say.

“Surely we shall see some of our warriors stripped of their cloaks in the next few weeks, and others will be granted the privilege to adorn themselves in the blue and gold garments for the first time. We shall find that some of our better warriors will move on to other armies, and we shall acquire warriors from other armies. We shall see our young men grow, become men, and watch them become warriors worthy of the right to wear the horns. We shall wonder what will be in the new year.”

All eyes were upon me. I knew that the next words I spoke must be without mistake, as all would hear them.

“Our warriors are on their journey home. They had the knowledge that they would not battle together again after this day, yet they did not surrender. Instead, they fought with the ferocity of a wild animal, and showed no mercy. They showed honor in the battle, and we should all be proud of them. We should honor them when they come home.”

I looked at Maternia again, and saw the smile on her face. “I know not what the new year holds for the Legion, but I feel that the Legion shall continue to march to the top, to claim their rightful place as the Champions of the land!”

“For now, there are other things I must do. I have enjoyed telling you of the struggles, the battles, the glory of victory. I cannot see the future, nor can I tell you of what the prophecy says for the next year. I can only say this…we can all be proud of what our warriors have done. Do not despair because we did not do better, for next year shall bring new challenges.”

“I shall finish with only two words.”

“I believe.”

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bosh VI, Ch. 23: The Year's End

Nice. Very nice piece of writing at the end of the season. Well done, RFS!

I too, believe. HAIL CLAN-RAM! HAIL RAMS! :r

blood85 is offline Registered User

Let's go Rams, lets have a Great 07!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nicely done.

And, once again, I want to thank RFS for a great year of the BoSH. As Sam probably realized around week 8, its not an easy job, but you did it very well.

Kudos!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Nicely done.

And, once again, I want to thank RFS for a great year of the BoSH. As Sam probably realized around week 8, its not an easy job, but you did it very well.

Kudos!
    Thank you! Your suggestions and encouragement helped me more than you realize, and I often referred to the posts on the board, including yours, for ideas.

Other times, I fell back to the 'old standard' - a 12-pack and some good tunes, sometimes adding game videos to the mix.

I do have something to say to the entire Clan:

I appreciate all the encouragement. David is right, sometimes it wasn't as easy as I thought it should be. The Book of the Spiralhorn had very high standards from the very first chapter that was written several years ago. I knew I could not write in the same style, or with such command of the language. To paraphrase, instead of trying to outwrite Shakespeare, I decided to use the casual type of writing of one of my favorite authors, Diane Duane. I just hope it was good enough.

It was about week 8 that it started to get a bit harder. The odd part was that the last four weeks seemed to come easier to me.

I feel honored to have had the chance to continue what has been a unique part of this site. I don't know if I will continue the BOSH next year, simply because it is not my creation. I will say that if I am approached next year by Avenger, I will not hesitate. It has been fun.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Thanks for putting in the effort Sam. You have done a good job of putting your own style into the BoSH. I am impressed that you have written as many chapters as you have this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The job is yours if you want it, Sam!