Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The 2006 Preseason All-NFC West Team (Version 1.0)

Here's how I see the best of the best in the West, right now (Note: at OT, OG, LB and S, I'm using the best players, regardless of what side of the ball they normally play on. Also, rookies are not eligible).

QB: Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks
    Durability and playoff performances give him the nod. Bulger a close second who, when healthy, is a comparable passer. Kurt Warner is too inconsistent at this point of his career. Alex Smith has a way to go.

RB: Shaun Alexander, Seahawks
    Most productive runner in NFL in past two seasons. Will be interesting to see if Steve Hutchinson's departure impacts his performance.

FB: Mack Strong, Seahawks
    Top lead blocker in the division also has one of the best football names of All-time.

WR: Torry Holt, Rams; Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
    There are several quality receivers who are not in the top two, including Anquan Boldin, Isaac Bruce and Darryl Jackson. Mr. 1,300 yards Holt and the still improving Fitzgerald are the cream of the crop.

TE: Jerramy Stevens, Seahawks
    Stevens is the winner by default, though after next year, I'd bet that Vernon Davis, or maybe even Joe Klopfenstein, will be the division's best.

OT: Orlando Pace, Rams; Walter Jones, Seahawks
    Complete no brainer. They are probably the best two OTs in the league.

OG: Chris Gray, Seahawks; Adam Timmerman, Rams
    Another default selection. By the end of next year, there are a number of younger players who should emerge and make this list.

C: Eric Heitmann, Niners
    The Seahawks' Tobeck and Rams McCollum are both getting up there in age, leaving Heitmann as the division's best center.

Offense: Seahawks - 6; Rams - 3; Cardinals - 1; Niners - 1

DE: Leonard Little, Rams; Bryant Young, Niners
    Both Little and Young have played on defenses without a lot of talent in recent years, but have maintained their status as players who must be accounted for.

DT: Rocky Bernard, Seahawks; L'Roi Glover, Rams
    Bernard's career year resulted in a new contract. Glover reunites with Jim Haslett. Both can provide their teams with good inside pass rush.

LB: Lofa Tatupu, Seahawks; Karlos Dansby, Cardinals, Will Witherspoon, Rams
    Good group of LBs which could also include the Seahawks Julian Peterson, should he regain his form from before his Achilles injury.

CB: Marcus Trufant, Seahawks; Shawntae Spencer, Niners
    Trufant had some lapses last year, but still is a major talent. Spencer, somewhat quietly, had a great year, with 83 tackles, 4 interceptions, and 15 passes defended. Youngsters Antrel Rolle and Tye Hill could crack this list some day.

S: Adrian Wilson, Cardinals; Michael Boulware, Seahawks
    Wilson is a beast. Gave Boulware slight nod over Corey Chavous. Boulware is the better playmaker, though Chavous is slightly better in coverage.

Defense - Seahawks - 4; Rams - 3; Cardinals -2; Niners - 2

K: Jeff Wilkins, Rams
    While the Cardinals' Neil Rackers had a slightly better year than Wilkins in 2005, Wilkins has been more consistent over a longer period of time, which is key for a kicker.

P: Scott Player, Cardinals
    Had an average of 43.9 yards and 37.0 net yards last year.

KR: Reggie Swinton, Cardinals
    Solid year with 23+ yards per return and 4 returns over 40 yards.

PR: Otis Amey, Niners
    Not a lot to choose from here, but Amey had an average of 11.4 and a 75 yard TD last year.

Special Teams - Cardinals - 2; Rams - 1; Niners - 1

OVERALL TOTALS
    Seahawks - 10
    Rams - 7
    Cardinals - 5
    Niners - 4

No big surprises here. In fact, you'll note that the order is exactly how the teams finished last year. This does not necessarily project how this list would look at the end of next year, as there are a lot of young players on all four teams who can climb into these ranks.

I think the most notable thing here for Ram fans is that two of the Rams' seven players on the list are new acquisitions. I think this confirms what a good job the Front Office has done so far.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-10-2006 at 12:15 PM.

Re: The 2006 Preseason All-NFC West Team (Version 1.0)

Along with the above list, here's my All-Up-And-Coming List for the NFC West:

QB: Matt Leinert, Cardinals
    RB: Steven Jackson, Rams
    FB: Madison Hedgecock, Rams
    WR: Anquan Boldin, Cardinals
    WR: Nate Burleson, Seahawks
    TE: Vernon Davis, Niners
    OT: Alex Barron, Rams
    OT: Kwame Bronw, Niners
    OG: Richie Incognito, Rams
    OG: David Baas, Niners
    C: Chris Spencer, Seahawks

DE: Anthony Hargrove, Rams
    DE: Darryl Tapp, Seahawks
    DT: Jimmy Kennedy, Rams
    DT: Darnell Dockett, Cardinals
    LB: Manny Lawson, Niners
    LB: Pisa Tinoisamoa, Rams
    LB: D.D. Lewis, Seahawks
    CB: Antrel Rolle, Cardinals
    CB: Tye Hill, Rams
    S: O.J. Atogwe, Rams
    S: Mike Adams, Niners

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Whoa, Hasselbeck over Bulger? I disagree there. Hasselbeck is a career 86.6 rated QB to Bulger's 90.6. Hasselbeck averages 7.22 yards/attempt to Bulger's 7.86, and 3 out of 4 years starting Bulger has topped 8 per attempt--a feat Hasselbeck has never accomplished. Completion percentage? Matt's is 60.9% to Marc's 65%. In my personal opinion Bulger is better under pressure, too.

I'd probably still give the nod to Peterson over Dansby. Even last year, which was hardly Julian's best, his stats weren't that far off from Dansby's, and Dansby has yet to prove he can do that on a consistent basis. The rest of that looks to be pretty much spot on as of right now.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -05-01-2006 at 08:16 PM.

I wouldn't trade Bulger for Hasselbeck but, being objective, Hass had a better year in 2005.

Peterson needs to show that he's all the way back. He was somewhat up and down last year.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

On Bulger v Hasselbeck

Id put it like this- Bulger has better WR corps so is likely to get more yards for his completed passes, on the flipside Hasselbeck has/had a better O-line in front of him!

A sixteen-plus game season for both and im sure MB would come up on top!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

If Bulger wasnt injuried last year, Bulger would of probably done way better than Matt......... and Bulger probably would have gone to Probowl.. I think he had the most passing yards last year three weeks in a role

Varg6 is offline Registered User

one of the HUGE reasons we didn't do better this season is all because of Bulger being out all that time. Now that we have somewhat of an improved line, better TE's, a MUCH BETTER DEFENSE, we'll be pretty great next year. I really have a great feeling about this season. I think we have a great legitimate shot at making the playoffs, and even the SuperBowl...WHOA, just imagine that! Ahhhh, how lovely it would be.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Boldin over Fitzgerald? I disagree. Boldin has the ability to get a lot of YAC and I think is one of the best receivers in the league. Holt and Boldin would be tops for me.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Milan is offline Registered User

Bulger > Hasselbeck in my opinion.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I don't see why Boulware gets the nod. He was out of position on the Randel El pass to Ward for a TD and the 75 yd run by Parker in SB XL.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I don't know guys, I have such a wierd feeling somewhere between my gut and my chest. It is not really a good feeling either. I just don't know about this season. I think we could end up like the Vikes did after the numerous additions on their D. (Smoot, K.Willams, P.Williams, etc.)

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    I don't know guys, I have such a wierd feeling somewhere between my gut and my chest. It is not really a good feeling either. I just don't know about this season. I think we could end up like the Vikes did after the numerous additions on their D. (Smoot, K.Willams, P.Williams, etc.)
    That wouldn't be so bad. They took a while to click but won 7 of their last 9 games, allowing an average of 16.8 points/game in that stretch. They had the boat scandal, Culpepper had the worst season of his career, they lost their top receiver, and they still finished 9-7 and just barely missed the playoffs. Yes, their defense had problems early on, but a defense wears down when the quarterback throws interceptions as often as he throws TDs and there's no running game. In their first four losses, the offense managed 13, 8, 10 and 3 points respectively. Their offense just wasn't keeping them in the game. Minnesota's D still finished 9 places above ours in total defense and 11 above us in scoring defense, and our '05 rankings were pretty comparable to their '04 rankings. So the progress for them last year still represented a substantial improvement over the year before.

We have a better offense, you could argue we have better coaching, and hopefully we won't have off the field issues affecting the entire team. If our defense winds up like the Vikes' did, we could still be playoff bound if our offense can win a few shootouts early while our defense is developing its chemistry.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -05-06-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    I have the same feeling, plus I don't wanna set my hopes up too high.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I think I'm just sad cause the draft thread is closed.:sad:

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

The draft thread was my favorite for weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast