steviej Guest

4th down and 8..what?...there going for it!!?

Have anyone noticed that alot more teams..(college and NFL) are going on it on 4th down more often? I was watching the Colts game on saturday and the Colts had 4th and 8...and they went for it and failed. They did that twice..so they were 1/2 on 4th down convertions. I don't think teams should be going for it on 4th and 8.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: 4th down and 8..what?...there going for it!!?

I am one who sometimes enjoys seeing the 4th down play instead of punts. Adds a lot of excitement.
    As far as going for it being logical, sometimes there isn't a choice. I don't know how many times the Rams have been down by 4 in the last few minutes of a tough game, they are on the opponent's 39, have momentum, the drive has been going well, it's 4th and 3, our opponent hasn't done much to slow down our run...
    and for some dumb reason we punt. As soon as our opponent gets the ball, they run down the clock, scoring with only a minute or less left in the game. The 4-point lead is now an 11 point lead.
    Is it impossible for the Rams to come back? No, they have done it before. Unlikely? Yes, especially when one of our great players is injured or out.
    So, does going for it on 4th and inches, let alone 4th and 8 guarantee a win? No....but sometimes it really helps our chances.
    As far as the Dolts trying it...they were already in trouble, and had nothing to lose except the game, and it looked like they were losing that, too.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

It does annoy me a bit when the Rams have 4th and less than 5 yards at the opponents 35 yard line and, instead of going for it, punt the ball into the end zone. The gain of 15 yards of field position is not worth it, in my opinion. Better to go for the first down and try to score.

Of course, if the Rams had a punter who could consistently pin the oppositing inside the 10, I'd be okay with punting in that situation.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Of course, if the Rams had a punter who could consistently pin the oppositing inside the 10, I'd be okay with punting in that situation.
    But even if we did, we don't have a D that could hold them there.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod