txramsfan is offline Registered User

5 Falcons fined for supporting Vick

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

5 Falcons fined for displaying Michael Vick messages

December 18, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Roddy White and four other Atlanta Falcons were fined by the NFL for violating uniform regulations with tributes to Michael Vick during last week's Monday night game.

Vick, Atlanta's suspended Pro Bowl quarterback, was sentenced to 23 months in prison on federal dogfighting charges the morning of Dec. 10. The Falcons played at home against New Orleans that night.

After scoring a touchdown, White displayed a "Free Mike Vick" T-shirt under his jersey.

He, along with tight end Alge Crumpler and cornerbacks DeAngelo Hall and Chris Houston, were fined $10,000 each. Crumpler, Hall and Houston all wore black eye strips with written tributes to Vick, which the league called "displaying an unauthorized personal message."

Wide receiver Joe Horn was fined $7,500 for pulling up White's jersey to show the black T-shirt with handwritten white lettering. The fines were confirmed Tuesday by NFL spokesman Randall Liu.

Hall also had a poster of Vick on the field during pre-game introductions.

The Falcons lost the game 34-14.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 5 Falcons fined for supporting Vick

Where does all the money go?

The dog track?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe if those individuals spent more time doing their job instead of editorializing the jurisprudence of their convict buddy, maybe they'd win a game or two.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

While I don't understand why anyone would want to wear a "Free Mike Vick" shirt, I think the NFL is overreacting. Maybe the shirt thing was going too far, but eye black strips with messages? Almost every player I see with eye black strips put some form of personal message on them and you don't hear about fines for it. And how many guys put personal messages on their shoes and don't get fined?

IMO, the NFL is traversing a slippery slope.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    While I don't understand why anyone would want to wear a "Free Mike Vick" shirt, I think the NFL is overreacting. Maybe the shirt thing was going too far, but eye black strips with messages? Almost every player I see with eye black strips put some form of personal message on them and you don't hear about fines for it. And how many guys put personal messages on their shoes and don't get fined?

IMO, the NFL is traversing a slippery slope.
    i agree the t-shirt was over the top but maybe they figured if they fined him for the shirt then they had to do the eye strips also, but the eye strips were not a big deal in my opinion.