Truth is offline Registered User

8 Games is The Best they Can Do???

NFL preps for possible 8-game season
    NewsCore 96Updated Jun 6, 2011 1:56 PM ET
    NEW YORK
    Despite recent developments in the labor battle that are seen as positive by some, the NFL is planning for a regular season as short as eight games, the Sports Business Journal reported Monday.
    The reported plan essentially means that in order to have a 2011 season a new collective bargaining agreement would need to be reached no later than early November.
    Under the reported plan, the eight-game season would start in late November and culminate with the Super Bowl in Indianapolis Feb. 12. The NFL has previously cleared the way for the Super Bowl to be played as late as Feb. 12.
    The league is looking to give teams five weeks before the season to sign free agents, hold training camps, and possibly play preseason games.
    According to NBC Sports' ProFootballTalk, the NFL has said it needs at minimum three weeks between a deal and the start of the season, making early November the latest possible date for a labor agreement.
    Lawyers for the NFL owners and players appeared before a federal appeals court Friday to argue the league's appeal of a ruling that invalidated the lockout.
    The court urged the sides to find a solution to the labor dispute, with one judge saying neither side will like the eventual ruling. The court is expected to take weeks to decide the appeal.
    The hearing followed three days of talks in Chicago that the two sides set up on their own without lawyers present.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: 8 Games is The Best they Can Do???

Not a best case scenario,by any means, but I wouldn't mind The Rams playing only the second half of their planned schedule. That's all but one of the NFCW games plus Browns, Bengals, & Steelers. Maybe we could even swap out the Steelers game for the other Cards meeting.

8-0, here we come, baby!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

8 games is better than nothing but I want the full 16 game schedule played!!!!

I, for one, would be disgusted with an 8 game season. The first few games would be as sloppy as the pre-season. The chances of either more players getting serious injuries because of the lack of off-season team activities, or the cautious play to avoid those injuries could further water-down the season.

Playing 8 games, and having a superbowl ( I didn't capitalize superbowl, because I think it would be anything BUT super), is PURELY about money. It's a complete joke.

These idiots (both sides) need to stop litigating , and sit down and negotiate. All litigation does is lead to more litigation and a larger rift between the sides. At some point, these dummies (again, both sides) need to realize that the revenue that they're both fighting so hard to control, will diminish with the passing of time, and the lack of an agreement. It's hard for the average American to have any pity for the billionaires that own the teams , nor the even the guys who make league minimum, which is still a significantly higher wage than that of the average fan.

So, you want to throw out a bone to the fans, "we'll give 'em 8 games and a post season." I say keep your lousy 8 poorly played games, and your tainted post season. Call me when you're really ready to play football.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    8 games is better than nothing...
    I respectfully (and I do mean respectfully) disagree with 8 games being better than none. There's a good chance that half of those games will be more like pre-season games (sloppy). While I prefer pro ball to college ball, I think that a full-on college season, with teams that are ready to play, and play hard, will be preferable to what the NFL will try to pass off as "We're Back".

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

If one game is lost I will not goto any games and I will watch all games online instead of giving them ratings on the tv. I can't imagine a 8 game season. Its already ridiculous at this point now they are at the point of losing fans.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Better to have a plan than not to, I guess. Which brings me to this: if the NFL is putting together all of these plans for abbreviated seasons, why didn't they have a plan at the ready for when they lost the initial injunction hearing? I'd have immediately appealed like they did, however, I also would have hinted at the possibility of a very horrible deal for the players coming forth if they had to indeed stop the lockout.

Who needs 16 games? 18, bah. No preaseason, just 20 full on games and 1 bye week. See if they want to suddenly respond to your offers then!
    I believe!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My gut response is this: You've already screwed us out of an off-season OTAs, minicamps - looks like there will be no training camp or preseason, and now only half a regular season? How about we just bail out on you until you both get your act together and give us a full season including an off season ... I remember well the abbreviated season in 1982, and am not interested in a twopeat .. There can be no legitimate "World Champion" after 8 games .. Super Bowl?? HA, HA, HA ...

Keenum is offline Registered User

Just the fact players can't come to team facilities during the offseason right now is inexcusable, I truly have no words to describe how disgusted I would be with the NFL if even one PRESEASON game is cancelled because of this lockout.

Now they are planning for 8 games? I will always love the game of football and my St.Louis Rams, but my opinion of the NFL is tarnishing every day... I am sure many other fans feel the same way.

Just a few years ago the NFL was king, even last year I think some NFL regular season games dominated MLB postseason play! How pathetic it would be to see this organization blow their rise to the top...

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

It's officially time to worry, it's been a strange offseason that I hope never gets repeated.? I didnt think it would get to this point but it has unfortunately has.
    Maybe we will get to play our division teams once each and play the other 4 games against non NFC West teams.?