Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 9ers change at QB

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Re: 9ers change at QB

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I hope this comes back to bite them big time.
    It did. And you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This the kind of move if it blows up on them can cause a head coach to lose his team.
    It will be interesting to see. It's very possible, even likely. After getting humiliated on national TV, they won't be able to avoid thinking "what if?"

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    It did. And you're welcome.
    Thanks! It was hard to root for the Hawks in this game, but lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    It will be interesting to see. It's very possible, even likely. After getting humiliated on national TV, they won't be able to avoid thinking "what if?"
    The Cardinals are in disarray, so I don't see them beating the whiners, even if the 'coach is losing the team'. It would be sweet though.

Speaking of sweet. I know these didn't cost them the game, as their inept play was all that was necessary for the loss, but it was sweet to see the whiners get some bad calls/non-calls in that game. You could see the dumb-founded look on Harbaughs' (SP?) face as some calls went against them, even valid penalties that they are used to getting away with. Once that did go their way, the defenseless receiver call that happened in the redzone, was legit. I would like to have agreed with the announcers, but the Hawks DB launched in to the receiver instead of just bulldozing him over. If the DB hadn't left his feet, that would have been a bad call.

gap

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So, yeah. With 444 total yards and four total touchdowns in the playoff win vs. Green Bay, Colin Kaepernick helped lead the ***** to the NFC Championship today. This after going 5-2 as a starter in the regular season with a QB rating of 98.3

I'm guessing Harbaugh isn't going to think this was the wrong decision. As a passer in the regular season, Kaepernick wasn't that much worse than Smith statistically. But the big thing is what he brings to their offense as a threat to run, as seen tonight. He had the opportunity to make a change and go with his guy, and while there were some bumps along the road, it's working out for them.

I have to say, I really hope Atlanta wins tomorrow. If we're looking at a *****/Seahawks NFC championship game, I think I'll find something else to do next weekend.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So, yeah. With 444 total yards and four total touchdowns in the playoff win vs. Green Bay, Colin Kaepernick helped lead the ***** to the NFC Championship today. This after going 5-2 as a starter in the regular season with a QB rating of 98.3

I'm guessing Harbaugh isn't going to think this was the wrong decision. As a passer in the regular season, Kaepernick wasn't that much worse than Smith statistically. But the big thing is what he brings to their offense as a threat to run, as seen tonight. He had the opportunity to make a change and go with his guy, and while there were some bumps along the road, it's working out for them.

I have to say, I really hope Atlanta wins tomorrow. If we're looking at a *****/Seahawks NFC championship game, I think I'll find something else to do next weekend.
    That's really not much of a surprise seeing the Whiners beat the Packers since you have to consider the Packers defense and their lack of familiarity against run option QBs to make Kaep look lightyears better than he really is. Defenses around the league will adjust over time and he's gonna have to learn to succeed as a pocket passer if he wants to continue on in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    That's really not much of a surprise seeing the Whiners beat the Packers since you have to consider the Packers defense and their lack of familiarity against run option QBs to make Kaep look lightyears better than he really is. Defenses around the league will adjust over time and he's gonna have to learn to succeed as a pocket passer if he wants to continue on in the long run.
    I don't disagree, but his passing numbers last night were impressive as well:17/31 for 263 and 2 TDs with 1 INT, QB rating in the low 90s. It's worth pointing out that Green Bay's regularly season pass defense ranked 4th best in the league when sorted by opposing QB passer rating.

And again, his regular season QB rating was 98.3, and he threw as many attempts in seven games as Alex Smith did in nine. Obviously the key will be whether or not he can maintain that kind of performance in the long haul, but it's not as if he's doing it solely on the ground.

Moral of the story being, I don't think Harbaugh regrets switching the the guy he hand picked in the 2011 Draft, as he clearly has a plan on how to use him efficiently. We'll have to wait and see if teams can adjust or if they continue to be successful.

The positive here is that he didn't exactly give the Rams fits when they played him twice this year, so I'm pretty optimistic about Fisher and company being able to adequately prepare for and have the team ready to defend against him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Not to take anything away from Kaepernick's performance, but the only thing worse than Green Bay's defensive gameplan was its failure to adjust when it was clear that it was failing miserably.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The positive here is that he didn't exactly give the Rams fits when they played him twice this year, so I'm pretty optimistic about Fisher and company being able to adequately prepare for and have the team ready to defend against him.
    Big positive. And with more film, and more time to prepare for him, I think Fisher and Co. will continue to keep Kaepernick in check next season.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Not to take anything away from Kaepernick's performance, but the only thing worse than Green Bay's defensive gameplan was its failure to adjust when it was clear that it was failing miserably.
    I agree. Kaepernick did a great job taking advantage of what the defense was giving him, but Green Bay looked like they didn't have a clue. You could argue Kaepernick made the Green Bay defense look like that, but even the commentators questioned what Capers was doing on several occasions.

I also think its funny how the media is acting like this game proves that Harbaugh was a genius for switching to Kaepernick.

Right, because Alex Smith was horrible last year in his first playoff game (24/42, 299 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Ints., 28 yard TD run in the victory over the Saints).

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to call him a genius for making the switch. But I think it is worth pointing out that this move didn't backlash on the team like some really thought it would. Furthermore, it allows the ***** to get rid of Alex Smith - and his contract - because Kaepernick has not only gotten some NFL experience but he's looked pretty capable in doing so.

If the *****' OC Greg Roman ends up going to Jacksonville to be their new head coach, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith follow him there. That's a win-win for both teams: Jacksonville improves at the QB position (b/c it can't get much worse than Gabbert) and the ***** clear an expensive contract for a guy who would be a back-up if he stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to call him a genius for making the switch. But I think it is worth pointing out that this move didn't backlash on the team like some really thought it would. Furthermore, it allows the ***** to get rid of Alex Smith - and his contract - because Kaepernick has not only gotten some NFL experience but he's looked pretty capable in doing so.

If the *****' OC Greg Roman ends up going to Jacksonville to be their new head coach, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith follow him there. That's a win-win for both teams: Jacksonville improves at the QB position (b/c it can't get much worse than Gabbert) and the ***** clear an expensive contract for a guy who would be a back-up if he stayed.
    I agree with all of that, and I agree that the move was the right one for the Niners.

That said, if you listen to the media, you'd think that Alex Smith was a complete bum and that Niners didn't go anywhere with him at the helm last year.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree with all of that, and I agree that the move was the right one for the Niners.

That said, if you listen to the media, you'd think that Alex Smith was a complete bum and that Niners didn't go anywhere with him at the helm last year.
    Frankly, I'm surprised they've even been able to have a discussion on this, as I didn't think they'd be cutting away from their second by second eight month continuing live coverage of RGIII's knee healing.
    gap likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12