Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Alexander on Madden cover

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyHawk
    As I pointed out in another post, if Shaun continues with the number of carries and yards, he will surpass Marshall's numbers in less time!
    I'm sure that'll happen with the loss of Hutchinson

LOL

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

KentuckyHawk is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Yeah, right....

Give me a call when Alexander has 2,000 total yards in a season (Faulk did it 4 years in a row).
    In 6 years in the NFL, Shaun has over 7800 rushing yards and 100 total TDs. The only time he did not eclipse 1000 rushing yards was his rookie season.

Marshall Faulk, has just over 12000 yards in 12 years. If Shaun keeps up his pace, he will have gained more than Marshall in less time. And Marshall has 136 TDs in 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    I'm sure that'll happen with the loss of Hutchinson

LOL
    Yea, Hutchison. No doubt about it. Losing him definitely sucks. But if he wants to go where they'll pay him that much, go. Shaun is a great cut back runner (one of the best in the league), all he has to do now is cut back and follow good old Walter Jones!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In 6 years in the NFL, Shaun has over 7800 rushing yards and 100 total TDs. The only time he did not eclipse 1000 rushing yards was his rookie season.

Marshall Faulk, has just over 12000 yards in 12 years. If Shaun keeps up his pace, he will have gained more than Marshall in less time. And Marshall has 136 TDs in 12 years.
    So receiving yards mean nothing in your little closed minded world?

So receiving yards mean nothing in your little closed minded world?

Actually, He will be right on pace with Marshall in combined yards by his 12th season. Shaun has over 9000 yards (rushing and receiving) in 6 years. Marshall has just over 19,000 yards combined in 12 years.

Receiving yards don't mean nearly as much to me in regard to backs as rushing yards do. Backs go after the coveted RUSHING title. And Shaun still will have MANY more TDs.

Give me a call when Alexander has 2,000 total yards in a season (Faulk did it 4 years in a row).
    Marshall never RUSHED for 2000 yards. As a matter of fact, he never rushed for more than 1400. Shaun has rushed for over 1400 yards 3 years in a row. Why catch when you can obviously run?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Actually, He will be right on pace with Marshall in combined yards by his 12th season. Shaun has over 9000 yards (rushing and receiving) in 6 years. Marshall has just over 19,000 yards combined in 12 years.

Receiving yards don't mean nearly as much to me in regard to backs as rushing yards do. Backs go after the coveted RUSHING title. And Shaun still will have MANY more TDs.

Marshall never RUSHED for 2000 yards. As a matter of fact, he never rushed for more than 1400. Shaun has rushed for over 1400 yards 3 years in a row. Why catch when you can obviously run?
    So is a receiving yard less than a rushing yard? No? I didn't think so.

What kind of logic is that? Receiving yards don't mean as much to you because Alexander doesn't have any, if he did you would gladly bring it up.

Why catch when you can run? More silly logic. There's a reason why they don't throw Alexander the ball, and it's not because of your logic. What about the games when Alexander didn't run well, did they throw him the ball? No. Hmmm I wonder why, maybe because he's not a good pass catching back? Nahhhh that can't be it, it has to be because of your logic. *rolls eyes*
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Personally I just want a back who makes plays. I don't care how he makes them. I want a guy who goes for MVP, "Offensive Player of the Year", and most importantly Super Bowl Champion...if he gets the rushing title in the process more power to him. Shaun and Marshall have each got an MVP a piece. If I recall correctly, Marshall was runner-up to his own teammate (Kurt Warner) for another MVP. Marshall also has three OPY's to Shaun's one.

Faulk is 16th in all-time receptions and 9th all-time in rushing yards. I'd say that his receiving yards are worth mentioning. His best seasons have produced more total yardage than any Alexander has put up yet. Alexander has a slightly better career yards/carry average, but again his best years aren't as high as Marshall's. During Shaun's MVP season, he had a 5.1 yard/carry average (the highest of his career); Faulk did better than that every year from 1999-2001. I don't know the figures off-hand, but I can guarantee you Faulk's yards/touch are a whole lot better because Alexander doesn't do receiving.

Alexander has been fortunate enough not to have suffered any serious injuries as of yet and to have enjoyed excellent blocking the last few years. It remains to be seen how he fares if either of those factors changes. The bottom line is that Alexander has been a solid back, but if the game is on the line I would much, MUCH rather have Faulk in the backfield.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-23-2006 at 05:24 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's a good example of misleading with statistics.

How many running backs do you think equal their performance of their first six years (ages 21-22 to 27-28) in their second six years (ages 28-29 to 33-34)?

I'll tell you how many - virtually none. In fact, most RBs start declining in statistical performance around age 30, and the decline is often very sharp.

How many running backs do you think equal their performance of their first six years (ages 21-22 to 27-28) in their second six years (ages 28-29 to 33-34)?

I'll tell you how many - virtually none. In fact, most RBs start declining in statistical performance around age 30, and the decline is often very sharp.
    I am sure you are right to a certain degree. Shaun's numbers are on the rise however. They gave steadily increased each year.

I am sure you are right to a certain degree. Shaun's numbers are on the rise however. They have steadily increased each year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123