Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Alexander signs...

not the tender, but an actual contract for 1 year, worth 6.32M. He will be in camp on time. Bad news for the Rams, good news for the Hawks. I don't have a link, but the Seattle Times has reported this.

Found a link...ESPN
    ESPN LINK
    Last edited by rawkhrdr; -07-26-2005 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add link

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Alexander signs...

In all honesty...Alexander is the least of my worries!!!

DanS761 is offline Registered User

ya sheep fans....1 more thing to worry about

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DanS761
    ya sheep fans....1 more thing to worry about
    After all the acrimony and bad feeling between Alexander and the team, the same could probably be said about your boys. Will Alexander be thinking about helping the team or winning the rushing title?

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    After all the acrimony and bad feeling between Alexander and the team, the same could probably be said about your boys. Will Alexander be thinking about helping the team or winning the rushing title?
    They're not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant
    They're not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    Very true. As long as everyone kisses and makes up you have nothing to worry about, if not.....

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    not the tender, but an actual contract for 1 year, worth 6.32M. He will be in camp on time. Bad news for the Rams, good news for the Hawks. I don't have a link, but the Seattle Times has reported this.

Found a link...ESPN
    ESPN LINK
    Yeah he did have some high yardage games against us last season. Especially in the form of yds. per attempt. Hopefully the Rams can shore up that run defense this season.

But you know, after reading the link, this contract sounds like another headache in the making for the hawks. They give him the money that he would have got by signing the tender and yet they give up the right to tag him after the season ends.

At this late juncture I suppose the hawks really had nothing to lose, but I have to wonder if Alexander will be a hawk after this season.

Of course it is not the smartest of deals that a NFL RB could make. NFL RB's are highly vulnerable to career ending injuries on any given play. So what is Mr. Alexander going to do if he goes down with a severe knee injury? Certainly that will hinder his ability to sign a long-term deal as a FA let alone with the hawks. Then again, I'm quite certain I could live on 6.32 million for the rest of my life.

afkinc is offline Registered User

It was for guys like him that we signed two very good linebackers!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Will Alexander be thinking about helping the team or winning the rushing title?
    Or will he be thinking about the 2006 free agent market and what team he'd like to play for?

As for the deal, it sounds like the Seahawks were pretty desperate to get Alexander into camp and playing this season. Basically, they're giving him...

-A guaranteed $6.32 million for one season, no matter what happens to him
    -Freedom from a future franchise tag, and thus, freedom to test the market after this season
    -Security against a trade that he doesn't approve of

Did Seahawks team president Tim Ruskell buy his entire front office knee pads just before the meeting so they wouldn't hurt themselves begging Alexander to play in '05? Seriously, it's this kind of stuff that makes me somewhat respect the Philadelphia Eagles for actually having a backbone to talented but selfish players.

Oh, but I forgot. The Seahawks now know they'll probably lose Alexander next season, and have the whole year to look for a replacement. That's good, because that fact definitely wasn't painfully obvious to the entire football world for the last three months or more.... right? Right? :tut
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr

Found a link...ESPN
    ESPN LINK
    Your team might fair better if Hasslebeck just hands off to Alexander evey play,and doesnt have throw to his wide receivers.Maybe.

Rams' Aeneas Williams is sandwiched between Seahawks' Shaun Alexander, front, and Rams' Anthony Hargrove (95) as he strips the ball from Alexander in the fourth quarter. Williams recovered the fumble by Alexander to stop the Seahawks' scoring attempt. The Rams defeated the Seahawks 23-12.(AP Photo/James A. Finley
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Seahawk fans better hope everybody is happy because there are all sorts of troublesome dynamics that can create problems for them. What happens if Alexander, looking to promote himself feels he is not being given enough carries or TD opportunities? Would his attitude turn sour? Will Alexander be willing to block on the goal line if it means he doesn't get the carry? Will Holmgren be willing to put up with a player who questions his play calling? And what about any lingering bad feeling. If I'm not mistaken, Alexander felt Holmgren "stabbed him in the back" and the team subsequently shopped him around in an effort to move him.

I find it hard to believe all is forgotten on both sides. Players and coaches alike are proud and have long memories. Things could get very intersting and entertaining in the Northwest, especially if the wins don't come easy.

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

Some people posting in this thread are being very hypocritical and ultra biased.

First off, when we all thought Alexander was gonna hold out and possibly miss some of the season, everybody was telling the skwak fans that it was bad news for them. Now he signs and we're all saying, "so what, he won't do em any good." That's stupid and makes us look ignorant and as if we only conveniently spin things in the Rams favor.

And secondly, how is Seattle signing Alexander to a one year deal them getting on their knees and submitting to him? Seriously dude. The guy who compared them to the Eagles doesn't know what he's talking about. Alexander wanted a long term deal. Seattle wanted him to sign the one year tender because they didn't want to invest in an older back to big money. They got him to do what they wanted! Hello?! They didn't submit to anything other than telling him that they won't trade him or franchise him next year. That's called good business people.

If you can't see that your Ram colored glasses are messing up your eyesight. The skwaks didn't want to sign him to a long term deal, so they had 2 choices. One, force him to sign the tender and probably have him hold out and miss games, and the 2nd which they did, have him sign a one year deal, come to camp and play football. They made the right choice plain and simple. Now they will have him for the year and will make up their minds next offseason. They don't have a sufficient replacement now. Next year they might. Heck, if things go good, Shaun may play good and earn a contract. He's going to be playing his butt off trying to earn the deal. If he were to do what some here think and make problems, he'll hurt his chances. I don't see it happening.

Fact is fellow Ram fans, without Alexander, the Skwaks would be 6 game winners at best. Now with him, they have a shot at 8. I rather the first scenario. I'm annoyed that some on this board got me believing that he would hold out for a good portion of the season. Grrr.

DanS761 is offline Registered User

ouch! it looks like we touched some nerves of the Rams fans!

Wow it must for the Seahawks how they are getting a RB GUARANTEED who rushed for almost 1700 yards in 04, vs the alternative. Seahawks still have a whole year to trade him(with his approval) or sign him to a long term contract. The market for RB is non existent and that works in the Seahawks favor in negotiations. Even if he went into 06 as a UFA he is still not gonna get the deal he's looking for. He is gonna have to sacrifice $ and he eill get a long term contract.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtWarner2005MVP
    I'm annoyed that some on this board got me believing that he would hold out for a good portion of the season. Grrr.
    Dude, may I suggest taking anything you read here with a grain of salt? It's a message board, a place for opinions, not scientific fact. Besides, wouldn't you rather beat the Seahawks with no excuses? I would.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KurtWarner2005MVP
    Some people posting in this thread are being very hypocritical and ultra biased.

First off, when we all thought Alexander was gonna hold out and possibly miss some of the season, everybody was telling the skwak fans that it was bad news for them. Now he signs and we're all saying, "so what, he won't do em any good." That's stupid and makes us look ignorant and as if we only conveniently spin things in the Rams favor.

And secondly, how is Seattle signing Alexander to a one year deal them getting on their knees and submitting to him? Seriously dude. The guy who compared them to the Eagles doesn't know what he's talking about. Alexander wanted a long term deal. Seattle wanted him to sign the one year tender because they didn't want to invest in an older back to big money. They got him to do what they wanted! Hello?! They didn't submit to anything other than telling him that they won't trade him or franchise him next year. That's called good business people.

If you can't see that your Ram colored glasses are messing up your eyesight. The skwaks didn't want to sign him to a long term deal, so they had 2 choices. One, force him to sign the tender and probably have him hold out and miss games, and the 2nd which they did, have him sign a one year deal, come to camp and play football. They made the right choice plain and simple. Now they will have him for the year and will make up their minds next offseason. They don't have a sufficient replacement now. Next year they might. Heck, if things go good, Shaun may play good and earn a contract. He's going to be playing his butt off trying to earn the deal. If he were to do what some here think and make problems, he'll hurt his chances. I don't see it happening.

Fact is fellow Ram fans, without Alexander, the Skwaks would be 6 game winners at best. Now with him, they have a shot at 8. I rather the first scenario. I'm annoyed that some on this board got me believing that he would hold out for a good portion of the season. Grrr.
    You need to relax !!

State your opinion and speculate if you like, but please chill on the personal attacks and the broad generalizations.

Using terms like "we all" and "everybody" tends to encompass...well....everyone.

You don't need to be calling anyone a hypocrite, stupid or ignorant. All I see in the previous posts is some speculation, which is very common on message boards.

No need to get bent over it....:football:

Relax and try and have some fun....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast