Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    drdiags is offline Registered User

Re: Alexander signs...

For what it is worth, here is an article from one of the local Seahawks beat writers (Not sure if posting the complete article is frowned upon, so please let me know if this is against the forum's rules. Thanks!)
    ========================================================

Alexander stays a Hawk
    But one-year deal allows RB to test free agency in 2006

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune
    Published: July 27th, 2005 12:01 AM

The best compromises are the ones that sacrifice nothing of significant value.
    Shaun Alexander and the Seattle Seahawks arrived at such an arrangement Tuesday. The result benefits fans who worried how the team might fare without its Pro Bowl running back.

Alexander, the Seahawks’ leading rusher and franchise player, will report to training camp in time for the first practice Friday. He will be under contract for one year and $6.323 million.

The money is essentially guaranteed and the team will not name him its franchise player in 2006, freeing Alexander to sign elsewhere if he chooses. The Seahawks also need Alexander’s approval to trade him.

The deal, signed Tuesday and confirmed by both parties, seems to verify what the evidence had suggested for some time:

• Alexander wasn’t about to skip $370,000-a-week regular-season paychecks by refusing to sign the one-year, $6.323 million franchise tender;

• The Seahawks weren’t interested in signing Alexander to a contract in line with the long-term deals quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and left tackle Walter Jones signed this off-season;

• The Seahawks weren’t excited about making Alexander their franchise player in 2006, when the mandatory one-year offer would have ballooned from $6.323 million to nearly $7.6 million;

• The Seahawks found no interest in Alexander on the trade market because of his unsettled contract situation, and they couldn’t have traded him until he signed the one-year tender, anyway.

If Alexander was going to sign in time to collect those regular-season paychecks, as almost all franchise players do, why not end the charade now?

And if the Seahawks weren’t going to pay him Hasselbeck money on a long-term deal, why not dangle the carrot of free agency for another year? The arrangement worked out last season as Alexander set a franchise record with 1,696 yards rushing.

One potential surprise in the deal was Seattle’s decision to waive its right to declare Alexander its franchise player in 2006. NFL teams are generally averse to setting such precedents.

Alexander’s situation was different from some. While he has never missed a game in five NFL seasons, he turns 28 next month and will be 29 heading into the 2006 season.

Many running backs often wear down as they approach 30.

While this agreement makes sense for all involved, conventional wisdom said Alexander might skip training camp and report at the last minute.

Jones followed that route each of the past two summers. Three summers ago, he skipped training camp and the first two-regular season games.

The strategy never produced immediate results, however, and Alexander was presumably paying attention. He did not return a phone message Tuesday night and his agent, Jim Steiner, spoke only long enough to confirm the deal.

Seahawks president Tim Ruskell issued a statement in the evening.

“We’re excited to have Shaun in the fold,” the statement said. “This is good for the team and I look forward to seeing him on the field Friday.”

Ruskell is entering his first season with the Seahawks. He hasn’t seen Alexander practice as a pro, and he has seen him play in person only sporadically.

When the Seahawks open training-camp practices Friday morning at Eastern Washington University, Alexander will have a chance to dispel some of the criticisms that don’t show up in the gaudy statistics: namely that he is an unwilling pass blocker who places individual acclaim before team goals.

The first count is reflected in the Seahawks frequent removal of Alexander from the lineup on obvious passing downs.

The second count stems from the time last season when Alexander ripped coach Mike Holmgren’s play calling while the rest of the team was celebrating its first NFC West championship.

Alexander later apologized. More recently, he has said he expected a deal to come together.

“I expect a contract to be done once the season begins, and then we go for the next step,” he told The News Tribune in March. “I believe in the Seahawks. When I got here, we were 6-10. The last two years, we’ve been in the playoffs.

“I firmly believe that we’re going to get over the hump.”

A first-round pick from Alabama in 2000, Alexander has carried 1,347 times for 5,937 yards and 62 touchdowns in five seasons. He has also scored 10 touchdowns receiving.
    Last edited by drdiags; -07-28-2005 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling correction

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

thanks diags. that is very insightful for us fans removed from your situation. much appreciated. while i don't think you guys will be much better than a 500 team this year, alexander much improves your team. he is almost your whole offense.

Seahawk_For_Life is offline Registered User

Seahawks president Tim Ruskell issued a statement in the evening.

“We’re excited to have Shaun in the fold,” the statement said. “This is good for the team and I look forward to seeing him on the field Friday.”

Ruskell is entering his first season with the Seahawks. He hasn’t seen Alexander practice as a pro, and he has seen him play in person only sporadically.

When the Seahawks open training-camp practices Friday morning at Eastern Washington University, Alexander will have a chance to dispel some of the criticisms that don’t show up in the gaudy statistics: namely that he is an unwilling pass blocker who places individual acclaim before team goals.
    I think this quote captures alot. Basically Ruskell wants to get to know Shaun and watch him play in person, he wants to get a better understanding of who Shaun is, as a man and as a player before he signs him up to a long term contract.

Think of this 1 year contract as an audition. I know it sounds funny that a player with Shaun's stats needs to audition for his own team, but Ruskell has shown alot of caution with signing long term deals, and just wants to make sure Shaun is the right fit here. If Alexander gets a long term deal, its safe to say he impressed Ruskell.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk_For_Life
    I think this quote captures alot. Basically Ruskell wants to get to know Shaun and watch him play in person, he wants to get a better understanding of who Shaun is, as a man and as a player before he signs him up to a long term contract.

Think of this 1 year contract as an audition. I know it sounds funny that a player with Shaun's stats needs to audition for his own team, but Ruskell has shown alot of caution with signing long term deals, and just wants to make sure Shaun is the right fit here. If Alexander gets a long term deal, its safe to say he impressed Ruskell.
    But what if SA is the one that's not impressed. The Hawks can't franchise him, they can't trade him unless he okays it. Pretty much the only thing the Hawks can do now is make him an offer and ask him pretty please with sugar on top to sign it. If the grass is greener elsewhere, he can walk.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

“I told (management) I just wanted to be here,” he said. “I wanted to play my whole career here. This town and this team fits me.”

That's a recent quote. Trust me, if they offered him a fat extension during the season he would jump on it.

Honestly I don't think they are that interested. I don't think it worries the Seahawks FO. They signed Walt and Matt long term, not SA. They even tried to trade him! You think they are that worried about letting him go a year later when he's a year older? I don't think so.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk_For_Life
    “I told (management) I just wanted to be here,” he said. “I wanted to play my whole career here. This town and this team fits me.”

That's a recent quote. Trust me, if they offered him a fat extension during the season he would jump on it.

Honestly I don't think they are that interested. I don't think it worries the Seahawks FO. They signed Walt and Matt long term, not SA. They even tried to trade him! You think they are that worried about letting him go a year later when he's a year older? I don't think so.
    They probably aren't interested. If I wanted the services of a player for one year and only one year, that is the exact offer I would make.

So do you think the Seahawks are going to trade up for a Bush or Williams...or will they be content picking a Maroney or Riggs with their lower 1st round pick?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Doubt they will trade up, just my impression from the last draft. I know they tried to move up to get a defensive end but didn't do it because the price was too high, Ruskell seems to really covet those 2nd and 3rd round picks.

By the way here's a quote from an article that came out today, I think it's clear, Ruskell is still evaluating SA.

Alexander, who will turn 28 on Aug. 30, hopes the deal can be signed sooner than later. But team president Tim Ruskell said last week that he will wait until sometime during the regular season before assessing the possibility of a long-term contract.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...64_hawk02.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123