RamWraith is offline Registered User

Alexander wins NFL MVP

Seahawks | S. Alexander wins NFL MVP award
    Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:33:23 -0800

ESPNews reports Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander has won The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award. Alexander received 19 votes, with Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning finished second with 13 votes.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Alexander wins NFL MVP

IMO it shouldn't have been him. It should have been Steve Smith or Carson Palmer.
    RamsFan16

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

He led the league in rushing with the 9th highest total in NFL history, set a new NFL record for touchdowns in a season and carried his team to the best record in the NFC. Hard to argue with Alexander getting the MVP IMO.

Seehawkrun is offline Registered User

I agree, how do you argue those numbers? New NFL touchdown record and 1880 yards rushing which was best in the league. Smith, Palmer and Manning all had great seasons, but none set records. Manning has, obviously, but he did it last season; and it was hard to argue Peyton getting the MVP then. Now it's Alexander's turn.

Jack_Youngblood is offline Registered User

Its simple as this. Could the Seahawks have had nearly the same success with another back instead of Alexander? Yes. Could the colts have went 13-0 without Manning? Not in a hell's chance.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Wow, Mr. Youngblood, it seems as though you go out of your way to insult the Seahawks. While another back may have equalled SA's output this year, Shaun also produced 28 TD's, while the whole team got 54. So, Shaun got over half of the teams total touchdowns. It could be argued that in itself is enough to win the MVP award.

The following teams...yes, that's right teams rushed for fewer yards than Shaun Alexander did by himself:
    Dallas, Tampa Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, San Francisco, New Orleans, Carolina, Baltimore, Buffalo, St. Louis, Tennessee, New England, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Oakland, Green Bay, New York Jets, Arizona.

That's 20 teams that couldn't match the rushing output of Seattle's own Shaun Alexander.

These teams failed to outscore Shaun Alexander. This is total scoring (rushing, passing, and kicking):
    Chicago, Detroit, Arizona, Houston, Baltimore, Buffalo, New York Jets, San Francisco, New Orleans, Cleveland.

That's right 10 whole team could not outscore Shaun Alexander.

I know that the argument you are going to use is that Shaun's runs were mainly 1 yards TD runs. So he gained 1,880 yards but every one of his TD runs were 1 yard runs. Of his 27 rushing TD's 7 were from 10 yards or greater, including one of 88 yards against the Cardinals.

The next argument against Alexander is that he is in a run friendly offense because he has such a great O-Line. Well, as everyone here should know, the Seahawks run a West Coast Offense which is predicated on the pass. They use a short pass to set up a short pass to set up the run. Shaun has forced Holmgren to change that philosphy because of how much he changes the game, and now we are more balanced, using a 60/40 pass/run split.

The next argument is that he could easily be replaced. Well, let's take a similar style runner from a losing team and pu him on this team. Someone like Domanick Davis. DO you really think that Seattle, with Domanick Davis running would have been 13-3. I do not, I think that they are at best 10-6, have scored half as many TD's as they did and are playing this weekend in the Wild-Card Round. Plus the defense no longer respects the Seahawks running game, and they have keyed on Matt Hasselbeck, consequently his passing numbers have suffered and the offense is no longer ranked even close to where it is now. I think at best they would be ranked #12 in the league. Granted that is still in the top half of the league, but no where near the #1 that it is right now.

Manning, while he may be an excellent quarterback, and is definitely the MVP of the Colts this year, had an off year. I think the Colts would not have been 14-2 without him, but I think they still would have ran away with that division. This much is clear, as evidenced by the way Jim Sorgi played against my very own Seahawks. Manning also has a very reliable supporting cast in Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, James, etc... Plus the defense took a very definite leap forward this year. They actually looked like a Tony Dungy coached defense, a la the Bucs.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    Manning, while he may be an excellent quarterback, and is definitely the MVP of the Colts this year, had an off year.
    An off year???????? He passed for 3747 yards, 67.3 Comp%, 28 TDs, 10 Int, with a QB rating of 104.1. Just because Manning had an unprecedented year in 2004 doesn't make what he did this season an off year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

I post all that...and you reply to an off-hand throw away comment about Manning...

Alright, I was wrong to say that he had an off year, but he was less than stellar at the beginning of the year when the Colts were beating the Jags 10-3, or the Browns 13-6. Manning struggled plenty early in the season. SO much so, that I traded him off of my fantasy team straight up for Shaun Alexander.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    I post all that...and you reply to an off-hand throw away comment about Manning...

Alright, I was wrong to say that he had an off year, but he was less than stellar at the beginning of the year when the Colts were beating the Jags 10-3, or the Browns 13-6. Manning struggled plenty early in the season. SO much so, that I traded him off of my fantasy team straight up for Shaun Alexander.
    Why get so defensive? You posted, I agreed with it all but the Manning comment, so I replied.

PS: Who ever traded Alexander for Manning was a fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

I wasn't trying to be defensive...I was just clarifying so you would understand why I thought he had an off year.

And yes the guy who gave me Alexander was a fool...but he was a fool who won our league.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Carson Palmer had 345 completions, 3836 yards, and 32 touchdowns. I think that sounds very impressive. More yards and more touchdowns that Alexander got, but it is difficult to compare RBs and QBs since QBs get a lot of help from the WRs.

I would have voted for Carson as the NFL MVP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]