The Special One is offline Registered User

All Time Top 3 at Each Position

I came up with these the other day. Thought I'd share 'em.

QB

1. Dan Marino - His Dolphins were never a good enough team to bring him a title, but simply put, Marino is the greatest pure passer the NFL has ever seen.

2. Johnny Unitas - This guy revolutionized how dominant a position QB can be, and triggered the start of more pass-orientated offenses. His pin-point passing won him 3 MVP's and brought the Colts their first two titles.

3. Otto Graham - Otto is the Bill Russell of the NFL. He led the Browns to 10 straight championship games and won 8. No QB has ever won more. He was a great passer and a very efficient scrambler too.

RB/FB

1. Jim Brown - Brown retired, holding almost every rushing record in history. His speed and size made him nearly unstoppable, and single handedly dominated the league for a decade.

2. Emmitt Smith - He has the most rushing yards and TD's in history, along with an MVP and Superbowl MVP. He's about as good as it can ever get at RB.

3. Barry Sanders - This guy tore up every opposing run defense, whilst playing around very mediocre talent in Detroit. With a more solidified line and passing attack, he would've been close to the GOAT.

WR

1. Jerry Rice - For me, Rice is the GOAT. The records he has, the clutch performances and all the rings make him an amazing force. Montana would've been a much lesser player without Jerry.

2. Don Hutson - he caught three times as many passes for three times as many TD's as anyone in the first 25 years of the NFL.

3. Marvin Harrison - Arguably the greatest route runner of all time and already owns 10 WR records. His SB two years ago completed his legacy.

TE

1. John Mackey - As a combination of a blocker, receiver and clutch team player, no TE really comes close.

2. Tony Gonzalez - The greatest receiving TE of all time and has set all his records on an avergae KC team, at best. I sure hope he can get a SB before he's done. Or at least a playoff win.

3. Shannon Sharpe - A sure fire HOF'er, who was Elway's go-to-guy in back-to-back SB titles.

Offensive Line

1. Antohony Munoz - Made 11 straight All Pro teams and PB's, and took Cincy to a SB. Greatest blocker, ever.

2. Orlando Pace - This could be Rams homerism, but no LT has ever dominated the position as much as Pace did, 8 seasons in a row. The guy was the anchor of the greatest ever NFL offense.

3. Jonathan Ogden - 11 Pro Bowls, a Superbowl title and a totally complete run and pass protector.

Defensive Line

1. Deacon Jones - Surely the greatest pass-rushing DE of all time.

2. Joe Greene - Greene dominated the DT position and bullied opposing blockers for over a decade. 4 SB titles isn't too bad either.

3. Reggie White - The most complete DE to have played the game.

LB

1. Lawrence Taylor - Maybe the DGOAT. Taylor was a total force with the Giants and his MVP-level play helped them to a Superbowl in '91.

2. Ray Lewis - Most athletic LB perhaps in history and his fear-factor play was the rock of the league's #1 defense for years.

3. Dick Mutkus - Was such a complete LB against run and pass and is just another HOF'er to have played defense in Chicago.

Secondary

1. Deion Sanders - Love him or hate him, no player has ever been better in coverage and reading opposing QB's than Deion. He's also the one person in history to have a Superbowl and World Series title.

2. Rod Woodson - He would cause turnovers, make clutch tackles and is headed to the HOF in 5 months time.

3. Ronnie Lott - Most complete S ever. Brutal hitter, shutdown corner and a terrific cover safety. Yet another key part of SF's dominance of the time.

Special Teams

1. Adam Vinatieri - 4 SB's, 3 SB's decided with his boot and the greatest clutch kicker of all time.

2. Devin Hester - I don't care if he's really only returned kicks/punts for 2 seasons - No returner has ever done what Hester has done. Taking the opening kickoff of SB XLI to the house is just the tip of the iceberg.

3. Sammy Baugh - Owns the highest season punt average ever with 51.4, in 1940.

Coaches

1. Vince Lombardi - The mastermind that won the first ever Superbowl game. His legacy was rewarded when they named the trophy after him.

2. Paul Brown - No coach has won 4 straight title in two different leagues.

3. John Madden - A truly brilliant football mind who is still the face of the best days the Raiders have seen to date.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: All Time Top 3 at Each Position

good post,I have a couple of different choices,I can't have a list of defensive players without Jack Youngblood on it and the wide receivers list I would put Isaac Bruce before Harrison,they are very close sort of a 1a-1b kind of thing but since we are Rams fans Isaac gets the nod here. I look forward to everyone elses opinions.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Pretty good list! Only thing I would want on there is Isaac Bruce above Harrison, I really believe Bruce is the better all time WR, and I think Joe Montana has to be in the top 3. Now I've never been able to see too much video of him or Marino and all that, but Montana's got fantastic numbers AND wins. Of course it's up in the air, and everybody sees it differently.

And for LB #3... never heard of Dick Mutkus... lol.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I find it hard to evaluate players that I never saw, so my list is essentially 1975-present.

QB
    Dan Marino
    Joe Montana
    Peyton Manning

RB
    Walter Payton
    Marshall Faulk
    Barry Sanders

WR
    Jerry Rice
    Randy Moss
    Isaac Bruce

TE
    Kellen Winslow
    Tony Gonzalez
    Dave Casper

OT
    Anthony Munoz
    Jackie Slater
    Jonathan Ogden

OG
    John Hannah
    Larry Allen
    Gene Upshaw

C
    Dwight Stephenson
    Mike Webster
    Jim Langer

DE
    Bruce Smith
    Reggie White
    Jack Youngblood

DT
    Randy White
    Alan Page
    Joe Greene

OLB
    Lawrence Taylor
    Andre Tippett
    Derrick Brooks

MLB
    Mike Singletary
    Ray Lewis
    Jack Lambert

CB
    Mike Haynes
    Darryl Green
    Deion Sanders

S
    Ronnie Lott
    Ed Reed
    Ken Houston

K/P
    Ray Guy (P)
    Mark Moseley (K)

KR
    Devin Hester
    Rick Upchurch
    Duante Hall

HC
    Don Shula
    Tom Landry
    Bill Walsh

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

TE
    Kellen Winslow
    Tony Gonzalez
    Dave Casper
    I hope you mean Kellen Winslow Sr.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's so hard to narrow down each position to only 3 but here goes.

Quaterback
    -----------
    Joe Montana
    Bart Starr
    Roger Staubach

Runningback
    -----------
    Jim Brown
    Eric Dickerson
    Marshall Faulk

Wide Receiver
    ------------
    Jerry Rice
    Isaac Bruce
    Randy Moss

Tightend
    ------------
    Kellen Winslow
    Tony Gonzalez
    Shannon Sharp

Offensive Tackle
    -------------
    Jackie Slater
    Anthony Munoz
    Orlando Pace

Offensive Guard
    --------------
    John Hannah
    Gene Upshaw
    Forrest Gregg

Center
    ---------------
    Mike Webster
    Jim Otto
    Tom Mack

Defensive End
    --------------
    Deacon Jones
    Reggie White
    Carl Eller

Defensive Tackle
    ---------------
    Randy White
    Alan Page
    Joe Greene

Outside Linebacker
    ----------------
    Lawrence Taylor
    Andre Tippett
    Jack Hamm

Middle Linebacker
    ------------------
    Dick Butkus
    Ray Lewis
    Jack Lambert

Cornerback
    -----------------
    Lester Hayes
    Darryl Green
    Mel Blount

Safety
    ----------------
    Ronnie Lott
    Ed Reed
    Troy Polamalu

Kicker/ Punter
    --------------
    Ray Guy- Punter
    George Blanda- kicker (Had to get him in there some how)

Kick Returner
    --------------
    Travis Williams
    Devin Hester
    Dante' Hall

Headcoach
    -------------
    Vince Lombardi
    Don Shula
    Bill Belichick (that hurt)

-Hard to leave out Tom Landry, Bud Grant, George Allen, Hank Stram, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

LB

1. Lawrence Taylor - Maybe the DGOAT. Taylor was a total force with the Giants and his MVP-level play helped them to a Superbowl in '91.

2. Ray Lewis - Most athletic LB perhaps in history and his fear-factor play was the rock of the league's #1 defense for years.

3. Dick Mutkus - Was such a complete LB against run and pass and is just another HOF'er to have played defense in Chicago.
    Taylor? Ok. Greatest WILL ever.
    M(B)utkus? Certainly. Greatest MIKE ever

Lewis? Ehh, I'm not sold.

Yes, Lewis is probably in the top 3 of all-time MIKEs (along with Butkus and one of either Lambert, Nitchske, or Singletary). But he's not one of the top 3 LBs all-time when including all LBs. Lewis is great, no doubt. However, he has benefited by spending his entire career surrounded by greatness. He has stood next to Peter Boulware, Jamie Sharper, Edge Hartwell, Adalius Thomas, Terrell Suggs, and Bart Scott......all in their prime. He's always had monster loads in front of him soaking up blockers......Siragusa, Adams, McCrary, Burnett, Gregg, Weaver, Douglas, Kemoeatu, Ngata. And if that weren't enough, the secondary behind him has always been outstanding......Reed, McAlister, Rolle, Woodson, etc.

Again, Lewis is great, but I think the greatness around him has given him a boost. Standing alone, I'm not sure he is one of the 3 greatest LBs of all time.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod