Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Andrew Luck has IT

macrammer is online now Registered User

Andrew Luck has IT

Yes, IMO Luck has the infamous hard to factually discern IT factor

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Andrew Luck has IT

That fumble recovery dive into the end zone was crazy.

I also like his small but speedy big play receiver. Wonder if we can get one of those...
    Goldenfleece and Haste like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

that was definitely lucky lol

but i'd say KC lost this one for sure, you're up 38-10....and you LOSE...terrible loss for KC

though that's not to take all the credit away from luck and the colts

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

They don't call him Luck for nothing.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not according to Skip Bayless from two years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by @RealSkipBayless on 1/27/12
    I KNOW what Tebow can do in the NFL. I've seen it over/over/over. I'm not sure what Andrew Luck can do or if he has Tebow's It Factor
    citr92 likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not according to Skip Bayless from two years ago...

Wish Bradford can get some of that luck.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Yes, IMO Luck has the infamous hard to factually discern IT factor
    He has a degree in information technology?
    Rambos likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Andrew Luck adds to legacy as Indianapolis Colts stun Chiefs
    By Albert Breer
    NFL Media reporter
    Published: Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:19 a.m.
    Updated: Jan. 5, 2014 at 09:02 a.m.

INDIANAPOLIS -- There's a time to speak of young players in measured tones, sidestepping hyperbole to keep those guys grounded.

For Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano, standing in a small area between his team's locker room and training room, his face somehow looking drained and full of life simultaneously, this was not one of those times.

"There's been some great ones," Pagano said, still smiling in disbelief. "But ( Andrew Luck is) gonna go down as probably one of the best, if not the best, ever to play this game when everything is all said and done. We're very, very fortunate to have No. 12 on our side."

Luck is 24 years old.

To anyone who was in Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday, or watched this epic on NBC, or just heard about what happened, Pagano's words didn't even seem the slightest bit over the top.

The Colts' logic-busting 45-44 win over the Kansas City Chiefs in Saturday's AFC Wild Card games was about more than erasing a 28-point third-quarter deficit -- the second biggest comeback in NFL postseason history -- or advancing to play in Foxborough or Denver next weekend. It was about a quarterback who came into the league carrying as heavy a burden as any in NFL history -- replacing a legend as a rookie -- decisively stepping out of the shadow to write his own story.

"He's always been a different animal in the fourth quarter, his whole life," said Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, who was a rookie in his position, like Luck was, in 2012. "And just even hearing the story from his uncle (and agent) Will (Wilson). He relishes those moments. It's like (Michael) Jordan when he'd take that last shot -- he wants the ball. This guy, we're so blessed, he wants the ball in those situations. Other guys don't want the ball; they want to hand it off. They don't really want it -- they're gonna be half-stepping it.

"This kid is gonna rear back and throw a bomb when he has all the pressure on him. And that's a thing of beauty. You're born with that."

That bomb came in the game's 56th minute, with Luck stepping up in the pocket to avoid Frank Zombo and Tamba Hali, then hitting T.Y. Hilton between the '1' and the '3' for a game-winning, 64-yard touchdown pass.

But what was so remarkable about the comeback, and what left everyone so sold on Luck wasn't the beauty of a single strike. No, it was the flaws in his performance, which spoke loudest about where this quarterback is, and where he's going.

Not the first time
    Tight end Coby Fleener has played with Luck for six seasons, and so this wasn't the first time he's witnessed Luck's magic. Nor was it the best time.

The USC-Stanford game from 2011 was raised to Fleener. All he could do was grin.

"It's No. 1 in the NFL," Fleener said of Saturday's comeback. "But, I mean, that USC game was pretty amazing, the three overtimes, to get a victory there, that was pretty awesome."

In that epic clash three Octobers ago, with the Trojans and Cardinal tied at 27 and 3:08 left, Luck threw a backbreaking pick six to former USC cornerback Nickell Robey. Back-breaking, that is, for just about any other quarterback. Instead of folding there, Luck got his team back in the end zone on its next possession to force overtime, then found a way to outlast Matt Barkley and the Trojans, winning 56-48.

This one was a lot like that one.

With the Colts down 31-10 and badly needing a score to end the first half, Luck was picked off by Chiefs corner Brandon Flowers. His very next throw, at the start of the second half, was intercepted, too, which enabled Kansas City to stretch its lead to 38-10. All of that would be enough, given the stakes, to get just about any young quarterback to start second guessing.

But not this one, not with a rare ability to compartmentalize mistakes while sitting in the eye of a hurricane.

"I don't know. I don't know if I do a great job of it, or a decent job of it," Luck told me. "I think, for one, it's easy when your teammates trust you, and your coaches trust you. When you've got the support of your coaches and teammates, it's easier. And then there's a bit of wanting back out there -- hey, let's go right the wrongs."

He and the Colts started to do just that, first going 80 yards on five plays to cut the deficit to 38-17, and then marching 41 yards on another five plays, after a Robert Mathis strip-sack, to draw to within 14.

And that's where disaster struck again, with Husain Abdullah jumping in front of TY Hilton for his second pick of the afternoon, which led to a Chiefs field goal.

From there, Luck led three touchdown drives on Indy's remaining possessions, going 10-for-13 passing for 201 yards, two scores and a quarterback rating that was a half-point off from being perfect.

"A lot of guys, you throw those three picks, and you get defensive and you get conservative and you get scared, and you just can't pull the trigger, because you don't want to throw a fourth," Colts quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen said. "He's the opposite. He gets mad at himself, and you look in his eye, and he's going, 'No, we are gonna drive this thing down there, I'm not gonna do that anymore.' ... You see the resolve in his eye. That's a rare quality, a great quality to have, and he has it."

No one would doubt that anymore.

One of the guys
    At the end of my conversation with Luck, as he tried to deflect on this dynamic he so obviously brings, he tossed this out there: "When you've got Robert Mathis on your team, you've always got a chance."

That was relayed to Mathis, who responded, "You can tell him I feel the same way about him."

And there's the last piece of this, where the leader of the team, at 24, is part of a group that reflects this great quality of his.

"He's like a lineman," Grigson said. "He identifies with every person on this roster. He doesn't have a holier-than-thou attitude. He never has. He's one of the guys. But he's also our leader. He's been incredible. You see it. The talent's there. But the heart is something. They don't measure it at the (NFL Scouting Combine), and he's got the biggest one in this league."

With that in mind, it'll come as no surprise that for Luck, his 443-yard, four-touchdown performance was't about him.

It was about a coach whose resilience, going through things much tougher than anything encountered on the football field, has become part of the team's identity. It was about Mathis, coming up big once again. It was about teammates picking each other up, as Luck did when he gathered Donald Brown's fourth-quarter fumble inside the Chiefs' 5-yard line and took it into the end zone.

It was about the group, which is a reason why everyone follows him.

"There's no panic. There's no freak-out sessions," Luck said. "And it's not like we haven't come back from this stuff. It's not ideal, but these guys will fight, and that's something that coach Pagano has preached forever."

The sum of all of that, with No. 12 squarely in the middle of it, was a team that had very little doubt about what was about to happen when the quarterback walked into the huddle down 6, with 5:36 remaining and the season on the line.

High above it all, Grigson leaned over to vice president of player personnel Jimmy Raye, and simply said, "Put the ball in 12's hands, let's go get seven and let's get out of here with a win."

And that's exactly what the Colts did -- exactly what Luck did.

"That's him, that's how he's wired, that's in his DNA," Pagano said. "We talk about 'it' -- he's got 'it.' You see a lot of guys that would go in the tank and couldn't put (the interceptions) past them. It's like a great cover corner. They have amnesia. He's able to put that behind him, put this team on his shoulders and carry us to another victory."

In that way, more than any sort of arrival, this was affirmation.

And, to be sure, there will be plenty more of that to come.

Rambos is online now Registered User

He played really bad and really good in the same game. I don't know about the so called it factor but he is a hell of a QB.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He played really bad and really good in the same game. I don't know about the so called it factor but he is a hell of a QB.
    Yes, so called IT factor is completely subjective BUT I see IT in him.

He did what he had to do to lead that team back after some really bad throws. I must admit I am very biased towards him since he played college in my backyard and I saw his development first hand. He is special.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    He's the Adams Family's cousin?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

For the love of all that's holy, here we go again with the stupid "it" myth. ---sigh---

The IT factor is produced whenever Bigfoot mates with a unicorn. Or at least that's what the Tooth Fairy told me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Yes, so called IT factor is completely subjective BUT I see IT in him.

He did what he had to do to lead that team back after some really bad throws. I must admit I am very biased towards him since he played college in my backyard and I saw his development first hand. He is special.
    I'm glad we don't face him twice a year.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Luck certainly had IT yesterday, but so did his receivers, who regularly got open quickly, and held on to the ball.
    gap likes this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Luck certainly had IT yesterday, but so did his receivers, who regularly got open quickly, and held on to the ball.
    IT has something to do with the other team being decimated by injuries. And of course having a coach that doesn't understand that 3+3 is less than 7. Twice Reid should have gone for it and took FGs, when his defense couldn't stop the Colts at all in the 2nd half unless the made a mistake. I told my friends Reid would lose by 1. It doesn't take any great amount of prognostication to see that - just understand that the rules in 2014 mean you coach differently than you did in 1975.

Injuries were huge on both sides. The Colts brought out 2 CBs that clearly couldn't cover in the first half and got schooled. The Chiefs lost Charles almost immediately, then lost Avery, Flowers (their best cover guy and Pro Bowl CB) and their best ST coverage guy. Then they lost their 2nd string RB Kniles Davis. Can't do much about that.

Feel bad for the Chief, but I honestly think you can't win the big game any more with a dinosaur like Reid at the helm. Hell of a coach all year - until he gets into the playoffs. Then he's Marty Schottenheimer reincarnated.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast