Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DieHard23 is offline Registered User

Archulete likely not to be back in Washington

i found this article about our long-lost first rounder on espn.com and thought it was interesting, not hearing much about him since he was benched in DC.

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Beleaguered Washington Redskins safety Adam Archuleta broke his silence Thursday, offering a glimpse of what it's been like to sit in the doghouse all season.

Archuleta
    Archuleta, signed in March to the richest contract for a safety in NFL history, hasn't played a snap on defense in seven weeks. Coach Joe Gibbs and assistant Gregg Williams have not given an explanation for the benching, and they've shown little patience when asked to discuss Archuleta's plight beyond generic comments such as: "He's had a good week of practice."

"Do I deserve an explanation?" Archuleta said. "I don't know if an explanation matters anymore because what's done is done. I pretty much know what's going on. I pretty much know what it all stems from."

Archuleta wouldn't go into detail, but he indicated the coaches have not been upfront in their dealings with him.

"I'm a grown man. I don't like getting lied to," Archuleta said. "All people want is for people to be straight up with them. I don't mind bad news. I don't mind negativity. I don't mind if somebody says to my face what my flaws are and what I'm doing wrong and what kind of person they think I am.

"I welcome those kind of things because an honest assessment is all anybody wants in this business. I don't need someone to sit here and tell me how great I am: 'I'm doing good, just keep working hard.' I don't need that. I need real stuff. That's the only way I can make an evaluation as to who I am as a player."

Archuleta, a free agent from St. Louis, signed a seven-year, $35 million contract that includes $10 million in bonuses, but it became immediately apparent during training camp that Williams wanted to use his new player in different ways than the Rams did.

Archuleta, a hard-hitting converted linebacker, was asked to play more coverage -- not his strong suit. He started the first seven games only because Pierson Prioleau was lost for the season with a knee injury, and his liabilities are one of the reasons the Redskins lead the league in allowing passes of 20 yards or more.

Now Archuleta isn't a part of the defense at all. He's used only on special teams, and that's the only role he expects to play in Saturday night's season finale against the New York Giants. There seems little sense in having him return next year, even if it means taking a large salary cap hit.

Archuleta spoke after Gibbs had addressed the media, although Gibbs made tacit acknowledgment of the Archuleta mistake and other free agent miscues by saying he plans to re-examine the team's approach to the offseason. Williams was not available to reporters Thursday.

Archuleta was vague when asked about his future.

"A lot of things have been going through my mind," Archuleta said. "I've pretty much scoured every subject known to man in the last six months of my life, so we'll see."
    Last edited by RamWraith; -12-28-2006 at 07:12 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Archulete likely not to be back in Washington

Arch needs to be on a team that can really cover up for his weaknesses and utilize his strength. A team like Baltimore, San Diego or Chicago, which rushes the passer well and has good cover corners, could be a possibility. Maybe even Indy.

I bet if he's let go that Lovie Smith will make a run at him.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It is a shame to see him not playing this year. Perhaps he will be moving on.

It's too bad that they are not talking to him, but honesty it not always used in the business world. I wonder how much of his contract money is based on play time and statistical elements. Those silly overspending redskins may just be trying to save some money by keeping him on the bench.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

He is such a drama queen. Yeah its ashame that this is happening to a talented player, but he hasn't been playing well ever since that (back injury?) injury he got a few years ago. What does the guy expect? He knows how good he plays, and if he plays crappy he's going to be benched. No excuses there...Now I don't know if the coaches just don't like him, but I really doubt they found this phenomenal player they were looking for and just benched him for the hell of it. Face it, you're not what you were!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

However poorly Arch is doing, it's no excuse for the coaches to treat him like they do. Last week when we were gearing up to play the skins, I perused some Skin blogs, and they said it was all to common lately for the coaches to treat certain players like crap. It happened last year with Arrington and this year with Arch, as well as some other lesser known players. If you think a guy can't help you on the field, fine, but at least let the guy know something, and especially don't lie to him.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Case of show me the Money back fires again. Unhappy team and unhappy player.:x

AA's better days are behind him?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I find it hard to believe that a professional franchise would throw $30 million at a player, and then be surprised to find out he has coverage issues. We could have told them that for free!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I always liked that Archuleta is a hard hitter. Remember when he knocked out Todd Heap a few years ago?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Maybe he should just go back to playing one of the linebacker positions?

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I find it hard to believe that a professional franchise would throw $30 million at a player, and then be surprised to find out he has coverage issues. We could have told them that for free!
    You would think, but these are the Redskins. They do things in free agency that rarely make sense.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    glad they wasted there 30 million instead of us.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Kind of feel bad for Arch, but not for the Redskins at all.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

i dont feel bad for arch at all. he got what he wanted, the most money possible. if he gets waived, he keeps his 10 mill in guaranteed money and can get paid again in free agency.

Big Bison, always the voice of reason, hit the nail on the head. Spending 30 mill on arch and then being surprised that he is lousy in coverage can only mean that someone never watched the guy play. He is a converted linebacker and even before his back injury, he was never very good in coverage and last year he was just terrible.

Meanwhile, go redskins, we need them to win tonight.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

"I dont feel bad for arch at all. he got what he wanted, the most money possible. if he gets waived, he keeps his 10 mill in guaranteed money and can get paid again in free agency...GC"

As Gordon Gekko said, "Greed is Good."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I feel horrible for arch. He is such a good SS. The redskins were looking for him to be an Ed Reed, instead he is a Rodney Harrison. They didn't tell him that they were going to use him for coverage. He was expecting that they would use him to his strenghts, aka hitting people and breaking bones. Don't feel bad for washington at all. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rams uniform again..............as long as we use him the right way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast