Newsbreakers Recap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 15, 2005 12:55 PM ET
Vikings: Sharper to miss minicamp
The News
Vikings' safety Darren Sharper will not be taking part in the team's latest minicamp, which is scheduled to begin on Monday. However, he is not holding out or rehabbing an injury. Instead, the Vikings have given Sharper permission to miss the workouts so that he can continue serving as a television analyst for NFL Europe games, according to Sunday's St. Paul Pioneer Press. Sharper is expected to resume workouts with the team once his analyst work is complete.
Our View
The Vikings already know Sharper won't be there, but they are not so sure what fellow defensive backs Corey Chavous and Brian Williams will be doing on Monday. Chavous is rumored to be upset with his current contract, which seems odd given that he's already admitted that he played poorly last season and will be fighting for his starting job during training camp. Meanwhile, Williams is upset that the team signed cornerback Fred Smoot to bump him out of the starting lineup. There are rumors that both players will skip the voluntary minicamp in protest of their beefs with the team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 15, 2005 12:05 PM ET
Bears: Edinger wants out
The News
Kicker Paul Edinger wants no part of the competition the Bears have planned for him during training camp. After free agent kicker Doug Brien was signed to take part in the competition, Edinger's agent asked the team to release his client. "I know the team has told me they just wanted competition," agent Ken Harris told the Chicago Sun-Times. "But I don't particularly believe Doug Brien opted for Chicago over other possibilities for a competition." Bears' general manager Jerry Angelo indicated that the team has no intention of releasing Edinger, who still has three years remaining on his current contract.
Our View
One popular conspiracy theory is that the Bears have no intention of naming Edinger their starter this year, but that they will keep him on the roster as long as possible to prevent him from signing with the division-rival Vikings. Although Harris didn't mention that scenario, he obviously feels that the Bears signed Brien to replace his client.

May 15, 2005 11:58 AM ET
Packers: Walker plays damage control
The News
Packers' wide receiver Javon Walker made his first pubic appearance in Wisconsin on Saturday since he boycotted a recent minicamp while in protest of his current contract. The three-year veteran hosted a softball tournament in Milwaukee on Saturday and used the platform to play damage control. "I have no hard feelings against anybody or with what Brett (Favre) said," Walker told the Associated Press. "Everybody has their own opinions. If we all worried about what other people say, none of us would be here today. When I do go back to the Packers, I will welcome them just like I hope they'll welcome me." Walker also stressed that he feels he deserves a new contract despite the fact that he has two years remaining on his current deal.
Our View
Favre spoke out against Walker's holdout recently, but Javon was wise enough to avoid entering a public debate with the most popular man in the Dairy State.The Packers have yet to respond to the contract proposals made by Walker's agent Drew Rosenhaus, so it appears the two sides are still far apart. It's too early in the year to lose sleep over Walker's status, but we will definitely be concerned if this top-10 fantasy wideout fails to report to training camp when it opens in July.

May 15, 2005 11:45 AM ET
Chargers: Winslow injury scares Brees
The News
Chargers' quarterback Drew Brees has gone swimming with great white sharks. He's gone diving near Australia's Great Barrier Reef. However, the veteran signal caller said that the injuries suffered by Browns' tight end Kellen Winslow during a recent motorcycle accident will prevent him from downhill skiing and skydiving. "You've got to live life, but then again you only have a small window to achieve something not everybody gets a chance to do by playing in the NFL," Brees tells the Associated Press. "Just kind of weight those options and see what you can get away with."
Our View
Who knew that swimming with sharks is safer than skiing? We get Drew's point, but something tells us that Chargers' officials might not be crazy about some of Brees' aquatic activities. For the record, there is no truth to the rumors that Brees was deep sea diving because the treasure map-like birthmark on the side of his face directed him to a pot of gold buried deep in the ocean.

May 15, 2005 11:09 AM ET
Panthers: Sauerbrun's demands kill trade talks
The News
The proposed trade that would send Panthers' punter Todd Sauerbrun to the Broncos in exchange for a seventh round pick in the 2006 draft has fallen apart. The Charlotte Observer reports that the Broncos were willing to take on the veteran punter's three-year salary of $1.2 million this year, $1.295 million next season, and $1.4 million in 2007. However, the Broncos backed out of the deal when Sauerbrun asked team officials to renegotiate his deal and pay him bonus money.
Our View
Keep in mind that this is the same Sauerbrun who was recently identified as one of three current and former Panthers who obtained illegal muscle enhancing drugs from a South Carolina physician who is being investigated by the government. In other words, he should be thankful that a team is willing to give him another chance, let alone honor his existing contract. The Buccaneers and Vikings have also expressed interest in the troubled punter, but it's hard to believe that any team is willing to meet his ridiculous contractual demands.