RamWraith is offline Registered User

Around the league 5-2-05

Newsbreakers Recap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2005 4:35 PM ET
    Ravens: Clayton strains hamstring in practice
    The News
    Rookie wide receiver Mark Clayton strained his left hamstring and was held out of the Ravens' minicamp workouts on Saturday. The injury is not considered serious.
    Our View
    This isn't the way Clayton hoped to get going, but it's no big deal. We'd rather see him get hurt now than in September.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2005 12:59 PM ET
    Colts: Shoulder surgery slows Freeney
    The News
    Dwight Freeney might not be full strength when Colts training camp begins in July. The Pro Bowl defensive end underwent surgery to "clean up" his shoulder three weeks ago, and head coach Tony Dungy told the Associated Press that he is expected to be "full-go right around the beginning of camp."
    Our View
    No worries. The shoulder surgery was relatively minor and Freeney is on course to be ready to defend his sack crown in plenty of time for the regular season.

May 1, 2005 12:52 PM ET
    Raiders: Moss endearing himself to new teammates
    The News
    Everything is rosy for Randy Moss in his first Raiders minicamp, and his new teammates are already wondering what all the fuss was about in Minnesota. "He doesn't walk around like he's better than everyone else. I think he's going to be a good teammate," quarterback Kerry Collins told the Associated Press on Saturday. Collins is clearly giddy about his new target. "The thing that jumped out at me first was how effortless he does things," the veteran quarterback said. "He's very fluid. He's a big, tall, rangy guy. I knew that, but until you see him in person you don't get an appreciation for it."
    Our View
    It's all cool now, and will probably remain so throughout the summer with teammates praising Moss as a good guy, unbelievable talent, and a hard worker. But give it time. The Freak will make waves sooner or later, that much is certain. The positive news for fantasy owners is that Moss is actually healthy and participating in camp, rather than nursing a hamstring or strained back or sore ankle.

May 1, 2005 11:30 AM ET
    Vikings: Bennett hoping to stay healthy
    The News
    Michael Bennett's battle to be the Vikings' starting running back this season began this weekend at the team's minicamp. His most important job is staying healthy—something he has struggled to do the last couple seasons. "I had never been injured. Even in college, I had one ankle sprain,' Bennett told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "Then when I get to the pros, it's a whole different level. Hopefully it's all done and I can go out and give them a whole healthy season and go out and win a Super Bowl.'
    Our View
    Bennett will fight Onterrio Smith and Mewelde Moore for the starting running back job, but don't look for a decision to be made until later this summer after training camp workouts and a few preseason games. Thus, his fantasy value will remain unclear right up until fantasy draft day in most cases.

May 1, 2005 9:41 AM ET
    Packers: Favre working hard away from minicamp
    The News
    Even though head coach Mike Sherman told Brett Favre to skip minicamp, the veteran quarterback is getting more than enough work in at home. The Green Bay Press Gazette reports Favre started a custom-designed workout program that's different than any regimen he's had in the past earlier this week. "We need to get him in tip-top shape. He isn't getting any younger," Sherman said Friday. "He really hasn't done a whole lot of stretching exercises or core body exercises in the past, so I think it will help him in the long run and hopefully extend his career." A trainer from Arizona's Athletes Performance Institute was hired to put Favre through the rigorous workouts. "(Quarterbacks coach) Darrell (Bevell) talked to him (Thursday)," Sherman said. "He can't even walk. He's feeling muscles he's never felt before. That's a good thing."
    Our View
    Hopefully Favre does not get the dreaded "best shape of his career" tag when he arrives for training camp. For some reason that label has resulted in countless injuries for players around the league. Seriously though, it's good to know that Favre is attacking this offseason even though he is not at minicamp, and isn't just playing golf and watching "Battle of the Gridiron Stars" on TV.

May 1, 2005 12:23 AM ET
    Vikings: Irvin leaves minicamp
    The News
    Vikings cornerback Ken Irvin walked out of the team's minicamp on Friday because of a contract dispute. Irvin, who missed the 2004 season with a ruptured right Achilles' tendon, has been cleared to practice, but has been unable to agree on a restructured contract. The team has asked him to take a pay cut, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
    Our View
    Look for Irvin and the Vikes to work something out, but he will be their fourth corner at best because of the acquisition of Fred Smoot.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Around the league 5-2-05

Our View
    Hopefully Favre does not get the dreaded "best shape of his career" tag when he arrives for training camp. For some reason that label has resulted in countless injuries for players around the league.

This is hilarious. I've always thought about this but never posted it. Remember when Marshall got in his best shape a couple years ago, and had a bad year?

For whatever reason, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.