Newsbreakers Recap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 20, 2005 5:11 PM ET
Browns: Winslow gets citation for cycle crash
The News
Tight end Kellen Winslow will be cited for disregarding safety in connection with the motorcycle accident that has likely ended his 2005 season. The violation carries a maximum fine of $150 and no jail time. Winslow is believed to have suffered a torn ACL in the accident, which occurred May 1.
Our View
Adding insult to injury, Winslow may have a tough time scraping together the cash to pay off that fine. After all, the escalator clauses built into his contract won't kick in for a second straight year and the Browns will likely ask Winslow to return a portion of his signing bonus for breaching the terms of his contract, which expressly prohibits motorcycle riding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 20, 2005 12:40 PM ET
Dolphins: Frerotte out front in quarterback battle
The News
Gus Frerotte apparently has the inside track to be the Dolphins starting quarterback this season. According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, coach Nick Saban said the starter will be "whoever plays the best," and that Frerotte has the advantage right now "because he has a lot of knowledge and experience in this system."
Our View
Frerotte has played under new Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan for the past two years with the Vikings, so he is very familiar with the system. Regardless, it would be a surprise if Frerotte wins the job and holds it all season, since he clearly isn't the quarterback of the future and the Fish must decide soon if A.J. Feeley is. Luckily, none of this should affect your plans on fantasy draft day, as none of the Dolphins signal-callers should come within 100 miles of your roster.

May 20, 2005 11:55 AM ET
Saints: McAllister hints at a possible holdout
The News
Saints' running back Deuce McAllister said Thursday that he would consider holding out of training camp or the regular season. However, he told The Advocate that he would only consider doing so if contract negotiations don't move forward in a positive manner. "I'm just enjoying this now," McAllister said. "I'm trying to recover and get back to 100 percent. This is the only time of the year that a running back is 100 percent, so I'm looking forward to the season." McAllister's agent has been negotiating a new deal with Saints' general manager Mickey Loomis.
Our View
Deuce signed a six-year contract as a rookie in 2001. However, the final year of that deal was voided, which means he is set to be a free agent at the end of the season. It's too early to be concerned over his holdout threats, but we will definitely keep a close eye on this situation. When healthy, McAllister is a top-10 running back in most fantasy scoring formats.

May 20, 2005 11:54 AM ET
Packers: Walker goes national with his complaints
The News
Packers' wide receiver appeared on ESPN's "Rome is Burning" on Thursday to explain why he believes he deserves a new contract despite that two years remain on his rookie deal. Not only did Walker state that he wants a new contract, he also stated that he "should be paid as one of the top five receivers in the league." The three-year veteran also hinted that he's not opposed to holding out of training camp. "That could be a possibility," Walker said. "I'm thinking, hopefully, we can get something worked out. As of right now, we'll just take it one day at a time and see what happens." Walker finished last season with 89 receptions for 1,382 yards and seven touchdowns.
Our View
The Packers have yet to make a counter the pitch made by Walker's agent Drew Rosenhaus. And it's hard to blame the team given that Rosenhaus requested a contract that would pay his client more than Raiders' receiver Randy Moss. It's too early to lose sleep over Walker's holdout, but this situation has the potential to get ugly and extend into training camp.

May 20, 2005 11:49 AM ET
Bengals: Warrick still not cleared to play
The News
Bengals wide receiver Peter Warrick, who was limited to four games last season by knee and shin injuries, has still not received medical clearance to participate in the team's offseson workouts. "I was watching things and wanted to go out there and do it," Warrick told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "But I've got to take my time. This is my future."
Our View
The Bengals have no set timetable for Warrick's return. Meanwhile, T.J. Houshmandzadeh has slipped into Warrick's old No. 2 role, while Kelley Washington battles rookies Chris Henry and Tab Perry for the third receiver role. Once Warrick gets healthy, he'll have a difficult time making room for himself in the suddenly stacked Bengals offense.

May 20, 2005 11:44 AM ET
Ravens: Tight end battle rages behind Heap
The News
With Todd Heap sitting out offseason workouts while recouperating from offseason shoulder surgery, the Ravens have four candidates battling for their backup tight end spots. The group includes Terry Jones, Daniel Wilcox, and Darnell Dinkens, who accounted for 54 catches, 465 yards, and three touchdowns last year. However, Trent Smith, who has missed the last two seasons after breaking five bones in his left leg in 2003, is making a push as well.
Our View
Smith, the Ravens' seventh-round pick in 2003, led collegiate tight ends in receiving as a junior at Oklahoma and was impressive in training camp before shattering his leg in his first preseason game. He'll need to contribute on special teams, an area where Jones, Wilcox, and Dinkens have excelled, but if Heap's injury limits him in any way Smith could be an interesting pass-catching alternative.

May 20, 2005 11:42 AM ET
Bears: Muhammad earns praise
The News
Muhsin Muhammad has yet to play a game for the Bears, but the team's top free agent acquisition is already earning praise from the coaching staff. "Already he's raised the bar," Bears' wide receivers coach Darryl Drake told the Chicago Sun-Times on Thursday. "You see it every day. He's doing extras in the weight room, and then you get out on the field and you see a student of the game, a guy who can express himself and is willing to see it like you see it." The Bears signed Muhammad to a six-year, $30 million contract in March.
Our View
It's good to hear that Moose isn't taking it easy now that's cashed in with a huge payday. However, he slid down our offseason rankings the moment he agreed to move to the Windy City, where he will be catching passes thrown by Rex Grossman rather than Panthers' signal caller Jake Delhomme.

May 20, 2005 11:29 AM ET
Jaguars: New OC likes Toefield
The News
With Fred Taylor sidelined, backup LaBrandon Toefield is getting the first-team touches at running back during the Jaguars' offseason workouts—and that's fine with new offensive coordinator Carl Smith, who's a long-time Toefield fan. "I watched him at LSU because my son went there and worked in the video department," Smith told the Florida Times-Union. "I loved him [then] and I still do. He's got quickness and he's got toughness."
Our View
With Smith such a strong supporter of Toefield, you can go ahead and discount those rumors of the Jags dealing for Travis Henry. In camp, Greg Jones is running at first-team fullback and Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala is backing up both fullback and halfback spots. The team still expects Taylor to be ready when camp opens July 29, but it's clear Toefield will be the necessary handcuff.