Newsbreakers Recap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2005 4:54 PM ET
Bills: Parrish impressive in workouts
The News
Rookie Roscoe Parrish continues to impress Bills coaches and players as the Bills wound down their spring workouts last weekend. The diminutive wide receiver displayed the speed and elusiveness that made him a star at the University of Miami and impressed with a few circus catches during workouts. "He made some big plays in third down work," coach Mike Mularkey told the Bills official website. "He did some of the things we're looking for from him. The more comfortable he gets with his job, I think the more production you're going to see from him."
Our View
Parrish is slated to push Josh Reed for the starting position in the slot for the Bills in training camp. Parrish has looked good in shorts, but it remains to be seen if his size will adversely affect him once the pads come out. The knock on him in college was that he has trouble getting off the line against physical bump-and-run coverage. If he can overcome that, he has the speed and athleticism to make some big plays this season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2005 4:25 PM ET
Browns: Dawson gets camp competition
The News
The Browns signed kicker Nick Setta to provide training camp competition for incumbent Phil Dawson. Setta kicked for the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe but was cut by the Bears when he returned from Europe.
Our View
Setta was a combination punter-kicker at Notre Dame, which may help him find a niche in the pros, but he's still a long shot to beat out Dawson.

June 20, 2005 4:14 PM ET
Bengals: Perry two-thirds healed
The News
Bengals running back Chris Perry, who was limited to just two carries his rookie season by a sports hernia that required two operations, told the Cincinnati Enquirer he's about 60-65 percent healed. "It's something I don't have control over," Perry said. "I'm hoping on July 29 I can be out there. I'm just trying to get my shoulders in shape for the pounding football puts on your body."
Our View
The Bengals have Rudi Johnson ahead of Perry, and seeing as Johnson is the club record holder in single-season rushing attempts and yardage and just signed a fat new contract, it's unlikely Perry will absorb much if any pounding this season.

June 20, 2005 2:42 PM ET
Panthers: Cramer signs
The News
The Panthers signed exclusive rights free agent Casey Cramer to a one-year contract over the weekend. The Rock Hill Herald reports that the deal is worth $305,000. Cramer appeared in six games last season as a backup fullback for starter Brad Hoover.
Our View
Cramer was the last of the Panthers' unsigned free agents, but team officials aren't done talking contracts. They are currently in negotiations with linebacker Dan Morgan, who is set to enter the final year of his contract. Cramer did not take a carry last season, so he does not have any fantasy value.

June 20, 2005 11:34 AM ET
Eagles: McNabb and Owens bury the hatchet
The News
Donovan McNabb and teammate Terrell Owens are no longer butting heads, at least according to the Eagles' quarterback. "I talked to him after the first minicamp (early May)," McNabb told Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirer. "We communicated and put everything in the air. I'm fine. We dealt with things, and I'm looking forward to getting out there with him." McNabb added that Owens apologized for claiming that the signal caller was tired during the final minutes of the Super Bowl back in February.
Our View
McNabb and Owens might be on good terms, but the real issue is whether the Eagles' front office can make peace with the veteran wide receiver before training camp opens next month. Owens has boycotted the team's offseason workouts in protest of the seven-year contract he signed prior to last season. Although he has not directly vowed to extend his holdout into training camp, he has not ruled out that possibility either.