RamWraith is offline Registered User

Around the League 6-28-05

Newsbreakers Recap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 27, 2005 5:59 PM ET
    Raiders: Curry running full speed
    The News
    Raiders wide receiver Ronald Curry, who tore his Achilles' tendon in week 13 of last season, is running full speed and may participate in limited fashion in training camp, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. Curry recorded 50 receptions, 679 yards, and six touchdowns before sustaining the injury last season.
    Our View
    With Randy Moss and Jerry Porter occupying two receiver spots, is there enough to go around for Curry to be a fantasy factor? Well, it's worth noting that Curry did lead the Raiders in virtually all receiving categories at the time of his injury, while Porter did not emerge until Curry was on injured reserve. In any case, Curry's return to health would clearly be yet another boon for quarterback Kerry Collins' value and would provide yet another challenge for opposing defenses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 27, 2005 1:36 PM ET
    Bears: Grossman raves about Muhammad
    The News
    Bears quarterback Rex Grossman is thrilled with his new No. 1 receiver Muhsin Muhammad. "Moose is amazing," Grossman told the Bears web site. "I think any quarterback would be able to get a pretty good relationship with him going. He's such a smart player, he uses his body well, he has huge hands and he really runs good routes."
    Our View
    Muhammad must look like a Hall of Famer compared to some of the talent Grossman has had to throw to in Chicago. It's good to see that Rex and Moose clicked so well during organized team workouts; we'll see if it carries over into training camp and then into the regular season.

June 27, 2005 11:32 AM ET
    Broncos: Bell operating as if he's 'the man'
    The News
    Second-year running back Tatum Bell is operating under the impression that he's going to the Broncos feature back, even if the coaching staff has yet to determine that. "I feel like I'm the man," he told the team's official website. "It hasn't been said; I just feel that deep inside. I'm hitting the weight room hard, and I'm trying to be in the best shape so coach won't have to pull me out unless I'm tired. I feel like I've just got to keep proving myself to the coaches that it's mine and that I've got what it takes to last all 16 games. It will all hit the fan when training camp comes."
    Our View
    We'd love nothing more than for Bell to go out and grab the exclusive job in Denver, which offers up an awful lot of rushing yards. In their last minicamp, both Bell and veteran Mike Anderson were running with the first team, but Bell is exactly the type of runner that fits Mike Shanahan's schemes. As Bell suggested, training camp will be critical in this position battle.

June 27, 2005 11:29 AM ET
    Saints: Brooks steps up for lineman
    The News
    Saints' quarterback Aaron Brooks is not happy that team officials have asked offensive lineman Wayne Gandy to accept a pay cut. "I think the guy deserves every penny of the $5.25 million he's due this year," Brooks recently told the Associated Press. "Tapping on Wayne's shoulder for a pay cut is not the answer. That's kind of unfair, in my opinion. I respect him. I look up to him, as a player and as a person."
    Our View
    Saints' general manager Mickey Loomis continues to insist that he did not ask the 34 year-old offensive lineman to accept a cut in pay. If nothing else, it's good to see Brooks standing up for one of his teammates. Saints' officials would like Aaron to become a locker room leader and this might be his first step toward assuming that role.

June 27, 2005 11:17 AM ET
    Cardinals: Lewis released
    The News
    The Cardinals released quarterback Chris Lewis over the weekend, according to the Arizona Republic. Lewis, who signed with the team as an undrafted free agent out of Stanford, spent last season on the practice squad. He also played in NFL Europe this spring with the Cologne Centurions.
    Our View
    Kurt Warner will be the starting quarterback as the team heads into training camp next month. Incumbent starter Josh McCown will be the primary backup, and John Navarre will be the No. 3 quarterback on the Cards' roster. In other words, the quarterback depth chart is set in Arizona, and there wasn't room for Lewis.

June 27, 2005 11:17 AM ET
    Chiefs: Wilson hands in strong minicamp
    The News
    For the second straight summer, tight end Kris Wilson is drawing rave reviews in Chiefs' minicamp. Wilson, a second-round draft pick in 2004, was the unquestioned star of last year's training camp, but broke his leg in the final preseason game and never fully recovered. Nearly a year removed from the injury, the Kansas City Star is reporting that Wilson was making a familiar impression with very good downfield speed, soft hands, and a full understanding of Kansas City's complex offense.
    Our View
    Prior to his injury, the Chiefs were talking about having to get Wilson on the field in two- and three-tight end sets, as well as using him at fullback, halfback, and receiver. The Chiefs don't exactly have the most compelling set of wide receivers, so if Wilson can find his way onto the field with Tony Gonzalez and Priest Holmes, he has the talent to make an impact in deeper leagues. We'll keep you posted on how involved the second-year tight end may be this season.

June 27, 2005 10:43 AM ET
    Titans: Odom to undergo sleep apnea surgery
    The News
    Titans defensive end Antwaan Odom will undergo surgery on Monday to correct his sleep apnea condition. "A lot of people don't know about (sleep apnea), but it is something I have had to deal with pretty much my whole life,' he told the Tennessean. "I didn't realize it until I was diagnosed, and the hope is that (surgery) will get it fixed, at the least there is a higher chance of solving it." Odom will also have his abnormal tonsils removed on Monday.
    Our View
    The report didn't say how long Odom would need to recover from the surgery, but we assume he'll be ready well in advance of training camp.

June 27, 2005 10:34 AM ET
    Texans: Wells works out at fullback
    The News
    Texans running back Jonathan Wells will take on some fullback duties in the upcoming season. "They came to me in the off-season and said they felt we could add some versatility to the offense if Domanick [Davis] and I were in the backfield at the same time," he explained to the team's official web site. Quarterback David Carr added, "I think he can play either position, tailback or fullback. So getting him involved in the offense either way, where he can catch the ball out of the backfield or play in different spots or even split him out at wide receiver in some sets, I think it will be a big help for us."
    Our View
    Davis is still the main man in this backfield but coupling him with Wells will allow Dom Capers to become a little more creative with his offense. The hope for fantasy owners is that Capers doesn't decide to get too cute near the goal line, but there's nothing in the report that suggests Wells will steal carries at the stripe.

June 27, 2005 10:32 AM ET
    Titans: Payton ready to go after break
    The News
    Titans running back Jarrett Payton did not participate in minicamp practices over the past couple weeks because the coaches gave him the time off to rest. Payton recently returned from playing in NFL Europe. He finished second in the league in touchdowns (seven) and fourth in rushing yards (578). "The body is good, I am not worn down. I am happy that coaches gave me chance to rest a bit and I feel like when camp rolls around I will be ready to go," he told the Tennessean. "Playing there, it gave me a real confidence and it helped me and showed me I could do it in a game atmosphere. Playing well boosted my confidence, too."
    Our View
    Payton is one of several running backs competing for Chris Brown's primary backup spot, and he'll have a chance to seize that job come training camp. Until Payton or someone else is named the primary backup, though, only Brown has fantasy value in the Titans' backfield.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Around the League 6-28-05

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Saints' officials would like Aaron to become a locker room leader and this might be his first step toward assuming that role.
    Saints' officials would also like to reduce Brooks' $5,500,000 salary for this season as well, I'm sure. While comments like the ones Brooks made might be received as being more of a leader, they might also be indicative of someone who [1] is willing to speak out against his organization and [2] is indirectly commenting on his own salary situation. Unless Brooks has a break-out year this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him released in the spring. His 2006 and 2007 salaries are ridiculous for a QB that threw probably one of the most embarassing passes of all time last year - $6,250,000 and $7,250,000, respectively.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Saints' officials would also like to reduce Brooks' $5,500,000 salary for this season as well, I'm sure. While comments like the ones Brooks made might be received as being more of a leader, they might also be indicative of someone who [1] is willing to speak out against his organization and [2] is indirectly commenting on his own salary situation. Unless Brooks has a break-out year this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him released in the spring. His 2006 and 2007 salaries are ridiculous for a QB that threw probably one of the most embarassing passes of all time last year - $6,250,000 and $7,250,000, respectively.
    In '03 he looked promising, but didn't show any improvement in '04. At 29, he physically may not get any better and with McPherson waiting in the wings, Brooks better play his cards right.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BBlades89 is offline Registered User

Aaron Brooks...ha! "I owned the with my eyes."

Sorry...that was a Seahawk joke: http://seahawks.scout.com/2/293470.html

Nice Jacket