RamWraith is offline Registered User

Around the League 6-7-05

Newsbreakers Recap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 6, 2005 1:00 PM ET
    Redskins: Portis headed to court in number dispute
    The News
    Redskins' running back Clinton Portis will appear in district court on Tuesday as a defendant. Former teammate Ifeanyi Ohalete is suing Portis for $20,000 relating to a dispute over the No. 26 uniform number, according to an Associated Press report. Portis agreed to purchase the number from Ohalete last season, but he stopped making payments after the veteran safety was released by the Skins.
    Our View
    Isn't it sad to see NFL players wasting your tax dollars? Portis' defense is that he shouldn't have to pay for something that he could have taken for free after Ohalete was cut in training camp. However, Ohalete has a contract that calls for Portis to pay $40,000 in three installments. Apparently, Portis paid the first $20,000 installment, but did not the second and third installments of $10,000 each. For whatever it's worth, Ohalete is now wearing No. 25 for the Cardinals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 6, 2005 12:57 PM ET
    Dolphins: Mueller hired as general manager
    The News
    Randy Mueller has been hired to be the Dolphins general manager, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Previous GM Rick Spielman resigned last Friday. "[Mueller] is respected through the league and has a strong background in player personnel," Nick Saban said in a statement. "He will help us in our continuing efforts to build a team that will not only achieve success, but sustain it on a long-term basis."
    Our View
    Ironically, it was Mueller who traded Ricky Williams to the Dolphins in 2002 while he was the general manager of the Saints. Mueller joins an organization in which Saban is clearly calling the shots, a situation which led, in part, to Spielman's resignation last week.

June 6, 2005 12:47 PM ET
    Packers: Favre open to returning for future seasons
    The News
    Packers' quarterback Brett Favre spent Sunday listening to fans at his celebrity softball came serenading him with chants of "five more years." After the game, Favre gave those fans hope for life after 2005. "I hope off the field, within my family, that things go smoothly and I'm able to enjoy it a little bit more and my family is able to enjoy it," Favre told the Associated Press. "If that's the case, maybe I will be back." Favre's wife Deanna also told the media that her husband might return for at least two more seasons.
    Our View
    Brett is stoked up about playing football again now that his family issues are behind him. After losing his father in 2003, Favre stood by his wife last season when she was diagnosed with breast cancer and lost her younger brother. Assuming he and his family remain healthy, don't be surprised if Brett plays at least two more seasons. Favre is currently ranked No. 5 in our offseason quarterback rankings.

June 6, 2005 12:45 PM ET
    Panthers: No interest in KoRo
    The News
    The Panthers have expressed no interest in free agent wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was released by the Seahawks last week. Although Robinson went to school in the Carolinas and the team has a need at wide receiver, the Rock Hill Herald reports that it's unlikely the Panthers would sign the former North Carolina State star. Robinson finished last season with 31 receptions for 495 yards and two touchdowns in 10 games.
    Our View
    The Panthers are said to be open to the idea of adding another wide receiver to their roster, but they apparently don't want to deal with a troubled player like Mr. Robinson, even if he did grow up in the neighborhood. Although the Black Cats are so thin at wideout that ancient Ricky Proehl is listed as the third receiver on the depth chart, it's hard to blame the team for not putting trust in KoRo, who missed six games last season due to team and league suspensions.

June 6, 2005 12:25 PM ET
    Lions: McQuarters visits
    The News
    Lions' officials were impressed by R.W. McQuarters during the free agent's visit last week. "He can play both safeties, he can play corner, he can play in the slot, he can do a lot of things," Lions' general manager Matt Millen told the Detroit Free Press over the weekend. "He can line up and start for you." McQuarters was released by the Bears last month.
    Our View
    Millen forgot to mention that R.W. is also a stellar special teams return man. The Lions are among the teams who have played host to McQuarters over the last two weeks. Millen appears to be more intrigued by former Patriots' defensive back Ty Law, who has also visited team officials. Law went to school at the University of Michigan and has expressed some interest in joining the Lions once he recovers from foot surgery.

June 6, 2005 12:12 PM ET
    Packers: Roman suffers knee injury
    The News
    Packers' safety Mark Roman suffered an on-field injury on Saturday. However, the injury didn't occur on the football field, but rather on the softball field. The Green Bay Press Gazette reports that Roman injured his right knee after colliding with defensive tackle Kenny Peterson while chasing a fly ball during Brett Favre's celebrity softball game. Team physicians will examine Roman's knee in the coming days.
    Our View
    Roman is currently penciled in as one of the starting safeties, so losing him for any length of time would be a blow to the depleted Packers' defense. If nothing else, Packer backers can thankful that it wasn't ol' No. 4 who suffered the injury. We can't even imagine what their reaction might have been if Favre was forced to miss a start for the first time since 1992 due to a softball injury.

June 6, 2005 11:59 AM ET
    Rams: Tinoisamoa staying at linebacker
    The News
    Rams' linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa will not bee making the jump to safety after all. "At first, I was more than willing (to switch positions), Tinoisamoa told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch over the weekend. "But after further review, I thought it wouldn't be the best thing for me to do." Tinoisamoa logged 266 tackles over the last two seasons.
    Our View
    Pisa will be lining up with a pair of new linebackers this season, as Chris Claiborne and Dexter Coakley have replaced Tommy Polley and Robert Thomas in the starting lineup. With Tinoisamoa declining the proposed position change, Adam Archuleta will remain at stong safety rather than moving to the free safety position. Tinoisamoa is a top-50 linebacker in leagues that award points for individual defensive players.

June 6, 2005 11:23 AM ET
    Eagles: Owens willing to play elsewhere
    The News
    Eagles' wide receiver Terrell Owens isn't backing down from his request for a new contract. "I don't have to play for the Eagles," Owens told the Philadelphia Inquirer while attending a charity event over the weekend. "Anybody that I play for, I'm going to play 100 percent. I gave San Francisco 100 percent. I gave the Eagles 100 percent. When I got hurt, I rehabbed 100 percent. They know the situation, so just give me what I deserve. I'm one of the top players in the game. That's all I ask. I'm not trying to break the bank. Just give me what I deserve." Owens finished last season with 77 receptions for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns.
    Our View
    Owens made these comments just a short time after Eagles' signal caller Donovan McNabb predicted that his disgruntled wide receiver would report to training camp. Based on T.O.'s latest comments, it appears that Donovan might have been overly optimistic. However, plenty can change between now and the time camp opens, so fantasy owners shouldn't make the mistake of overreacting to Owens' decision to hold out of the offseason workouts.

June 6, 2005 11:13 AM ET
    Cowboys: Allen taking reps at tackle
    The News
    Cowboys' head coach Bill Parcells appears to have a backup plan in place if no one steps up and definitively wins the battle for the starting right offensive tackle job during training camp. The Dallas Morning News reports that guard Larry Allen spent a portion of last week's practices working out at right tackle. Other players battling for the starting job are Ben Noll, Torrin Tucker, Kurt Vollers, and Rob Petetti.
    Our View
    Allen hasn't played right tackle since the 2002 season. Larry is currently penciled in as a starting guard, but he might move back his old spot thanks in part to the emergence of second-year player Stephen Peterman, who would then assume the starting guard role.

June 6, 2005 11:07 AM ET
    Saints: Henderson gunning for No. 3 role
    The News
    Saints' second-year wide receiver Devery Henderson will compete in training camp for the No. 3 spot on the depth chart. Henderson, who is still looking for his first reception as a pro, will compete with Michael Lewis, Talman Gardner, and Nate Poole for the third spot behind starters Joe Horn and Donte' Stallworth. "I don't know that anybody's ready to pin down anything yet," offensive coordinator Mike Shepperd told The Advocate regarding the receiver batte. "I have a lot of confidence in (Henderson). He's come miles." The Saints selected Henderson in the second round of the 2004 draft.
    Our View
    The Saints might add another wide receiver to the mix before training camp opens next month. Az-Zahir Hakim spent two days with the team last week and still might be offered a contract. Henderson is currently the favorite to win the No. 3 job, but the team's flirtation with Hakim tells us that Devery is far from a lock to win that role in training camp.

June 6, 2005 10:58 AM ET
    Buccaneers: Garner on the mend
    The News
    Buccaneers' running back Charlie Garner updated the status of his surgically repaired knee while attending the team's fanfest over the weekend. "I feel good," Garner told the St. Petersburg Times. "I'm not 100 percent, but I feel about 80. I'm running and cutting out there." Garner ruptured his patella tendon during week three last year and missed the remainder of the season.
    Our View
    There are rumors that the Bucs might release Garner in a salary cap move in the coming weeks. However, he restructured his deal during the offseason and has indicated that he believes he'll remain in Tampa this year. If Charlie stays in Tampa, he will likely be listed as the No. 3 running back on the depth chart behind Carnell Williams and Michael Pittman. Should the Bucs release Garner, the Vikings are among the teams that might have interest in signing the 11-year veteran.

June 6, 2005 10:46 AM ET
    Dolphins: Quarterback competition wide open
    The News
    Coach Nick Saban has declared that the quarterback position is wide open and the starter will be determined in training camp. According to the Miami Herald, A.J. Feeley, Gus Frerotte, and even Sage Rosenfels will all have a chance to compete for the job. "We're going to play the best player," Saban told the Herald. "Whoever plays the best will start. Isn't that what everybody would do? I think every coach in the league, Pop Warner included, would play the best guys…[Frerotte], obviously, has a little bit of an advantage because he has a lot of knowledge and experience in this system."
    Our View
    Frerotte is the early front-runner because he is familiar with new offensive coordinator Scott Linehan's system from their years together in Minnesota. Saban also won't be constrained by the thought that he must play Feeley because the team invested a second-round draft choice when they acquired him from the Eagles before last season. Since that move was made under someone else's watch, it won't be seen as a failure of the Saban regime if Feeley doesn't pan out. Regardless, you don't want to be stuck with either of these guys on your fantasy team on draft day.

June 6, 2005 10:35 AM ET
    Panthers: Davis to play two positions
    The News
    Panthers' first-round pick Thomas Davis entered April's draft listed as a hybrid player who could line up at linebacker or safety. And now it appears he'll get a chance to play both positions. "That's basically the same thing I did at Georgia, where the coaches give me a lot of freedom," Davis told the Charlotte Observer over the weekend. "I love it. I was able to accomplish a lot a Georgia doing it, and hopefully I can do the same here." The Panthers selected the former Bulldog with the No. 14 overall pick in the draft.
    Our View
    Davis is currently listed below starter Mike Minter at strong safety on the depth chart, but that could change in training camp. Panthers' coaches plan to use Davis at safety on early downs and then use him as a linebacker in passing situations. Although we expect Thomas to see plenty of action this year, it's too early to assess his value in fantasy leagues that award points for individual defensive players.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: Around the League 6-7-05

Larry Allen playing right tackle might be interesting.Has Parcels taken a page out of Mad Mike's Book?:tongue:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Terrell Owens isn't backing down from his request for a new contract. "I don't have to play for the Eagles,"
    I'll go on record now...any GM that signs T.O. gets my vote for Jack-(Hee Haw) of the year.
    I'm one of the top players in the game. That's all I ask. I'm not trying to break the bank
    :O Are you kidding me?
    Just give me what I deserve
    You're getting paid millions to PLAY A GAME!!! Trust me, you spoiled punk, you don't want what you deserve! My gosh, these whiney brats get on my nerves. You show up, you catch footballs, you run fast, you cash your check....that's all you have to do, and you can't even accomplish that without whining.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

First Of All Lets Hope Everything Turns Out Well For Favres Wife And Family,he Is One Of Toughest Qb's This League Has Seen, Both Physically And Mentally.as For Owens Hes An Idiot, Anybody Who Sticks Up For Him Is Also The Same,he Just Signed A Contract 1 Year Ago, If It Wasnt Enough He Should Not Have Signed,if I Were The Eagles I Would Stand My Ground,that Team Can Still Win Without Him.and Pisa I See Him In The Pro Bowl This Year.