Newsbreakers Recap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 30, 2005 6:23 PM ET
Eagles: Owens joining Moss in Oakland?
The News
The Raiders' busy offseason may not be over yet. Philadelphia television station WPVI is reporting that there is a trade in the works that would send disgruntled wideout Terrell Owens, who had 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns for the Eagles last season, to Oakland in exchange for receiver Jerry Porter. Porter caught 64 balls for 998 yards and nine touchdowns in 2004.
Our View
While this deal may look lopsided at first glance, it is important to remember that Porter is five years younger than Owens and hasn't been a major pain in butt this entire offseason. The Eagles are not an organization that tolerates a lot of insubordination from its players, so the prospect of getting a young, talented receiver and a high draft pick might be enough to convince them to ship Owens to California. This trade is nothing more than a rumor right now, but we'll keep you updated of any developments and provide in-depth fantasy analysis if the deal actually goes through.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 30, 2005 1:34 PM ET
Vikings: Tice fined $100,000 for ticket scalping
The News
The NFL has fined Vikings head coach Mike Tice $100,000 for scalping his Super Bowl tickets. Running backs coach Dean Dalton and special teams coach Rusty Tillman also received $10,000 fines for the same infractions. "It will not happen again," Tice explained in a statement to the Associated Press. "I apologize to my family, Commissioner Tagliabue, the NFL, the entire Vikings organization and the fans. I consider this matter closed and remain focused on the upcoming 2005 season, which should be an exciting year for Vikings fans everywhere."
Our View
This news has no fantasy football ramifications, and we're not sure why it took the league so long to dole out this punishment.

June 30, 2005 11:44 AM ET
Jaguars: Team still mum on Taylor's condition
The News
Jaguars spokesman Dan Edwards spoke to the Florida Times-Union on Wednesday and told the paper that the team would have no comment on the condition of Fred Taylor's left knee. Edwards did say that they expected Taylor to be ready for the start of the regular season. Head coach Jack Del Rio was unavailable for comment. Taylor recently revealed that he underwent reconstructive surgery in January to repair his torn MCL and PCL.
Our View
The Jaguars have a strong history of being secretive and downright lying about Taylor's injuries, and we're guessing the club will nix any of Fred's future radio appearances. We'll be keeping a close eye on Taylor come training camp, but nobody should be surprised if Jaguars' officials dodge any questions about the running back's condition.

June 30, 2005 11:38 AM ET
Lions: Kircus charged with drunken driving
The News
Lions' wide receiver David Kircus is expected to be arraigned in Hudsonville District Court next Wednesday on drunken driving charges. He was arrested Saturday in Ottawa County near Grand Rapids, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Our View
Kircus probably won't stick with the team through training camp. He would be their fifth receiver at best.

June 30, 2005 11:30 AM ET
Buccaneers: Contract offered to Law
The News
The Buccaneers are interested in signing free agent cornerback Ty Law. The St. Petersburg Times reports the team recently faxed a contract offer to him. "He's one of several free agents we're looking at," general manager Bruce Allen told the Times Wednesday night. Law is also receiving interest from the Colts, Jaguars, Jets, Dolphins, Lions, and Chiefs.
Our View
The Bucs don't look like a good fit for Law. They already appear set at corner with Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly, and Law is probably looking to get paid more than both of them. Moreover, as the Times reported, the Bucs are currently trying to clear $6 million in payroll so that they can sign their rookie draft picks.

June 30, 2005 11:18 AM ET
Jets: Third-round defensive tackle signs
The News
Defensive tackle Sione Pouha, a third-round draft pick out of Utah, signed a rookie contract with the Jets on Thursday, according to the team's official website. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Our View
Interior defensive linemen do not often make an immediate fantasy impact, and we don't expect much from Pouha.

June 30, 2005 10:49 AM ET
Redskins: Starting receiver jobs still open
The News
The Redskins overhauled their receiving corps this offseason, and head coach Joe Gibbs hasn't necessarily named his starters heading into training camp, although there are a couple front-runners. "I'd say David [Patten] and Santana [Moss] have been lining up with the first group, but we haven't designated a starter," he told the team's official web site. "We're letting [wide receivers coach] Stan Hixon work with the guys and rotate them around a little bit." Kevin Dyson, Taylor Jacobs, Darnerian McCants, and James Thrash are also competing for spots, and Jacobs has been turning some heads this summer. "He has all the tools," Patten said of his teammate. "I was talking to him [during mini-camp] and I asked him, 'Why are you not a starter?' I really think the best is yet to come for him."
Our View
Yes, Rod Gardner is still with the Redskins, but the site didn't even bother to mention him. We can say with certainty that Moss will be a starter, and it's a safe bet that Patten will be no worse than the third option. Jacobs has been creating occasional whispers with play since late last year, and the third-year receiver has worked more with quarterback Patrick Ramsey than either Moss or Patten. It's a stretch to think Taylor might be a notable fantasy factor, but he could emerge as a key player in this offense.

June 30, 2005 10:44 AM ET
Ravens: Suggs' brothers acquitted
The News
Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs was acquitted of assault charges on Wednesday. Suggs, his brother Donald, accuser Jeryme Cook, Casey Cothern, and Anthony Henrie were involved in a playground altercation at Phoenix Municipal Stadium on March 29, 2003. The Maricopa County Superior Court jury acquitted Suggs of one count of aggravated assault. The judge dismissed a felony assault charge last week. "I wasn't shocked when I heard the verdict," Suggs told the Associated Press. "You all have watched me grow up here. I've never once been in trouble." Donald Suggs was also acquitted on two counts of aggravated assault.
Our View
Suggs and his brother are undoubtedly happy to have this case behind them. Terrell can now return to concentrating on preparing for training camp and lining up for another 10-plus-sack season.

June 30, 2005 10:36 AM ET
Redskins: Rogers has stress fracture in foot
The News
Redskins rookie cornerback Carlos Rogers has a stress fracture in his right foot and might not be ready for the start of training camp on July 31. Rogers did not participate in the team's past two minicamps due to what was believed to be a mild ankle sprain, but the team's top pick has been wearing a walking boot for the past two weeks. The NFL Network revealed on Wednesday that team doctors found the stress fracture when recently examining Rogers' foot. He will be re-examined later this week, the Washington Post reported.
Our View
Rogers was projected to open training camp behind Shawn Springs and Walt Harris on the depth chart, but the team was certainly hoping he would be out Harris for a starting job. With all the missed time so far and the possibility of Carlos being limited for part of training camp, we'd expect Harris to hold his role heading into the regular season. We'll update Rogers' status when more is known, and the team will likely issue a timetable once he is re-examined.