BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Art Monk left out of the HOF again, Irvin selected

What a joke. How can that coke head go in ahead of a class act like Monk? What kind of message does this send to kids? Go about your business like a pro, put up great numbers and don't get in trouble off the field and you won't get into the Hall. Act like a clown, be an embarrassment to the NFL, and do as many drugs as you can and you get rewarded. Disgraceful.

Let's take a look at some of these numbers.

Monk has 940 career receptions, Irvin has 750.

Monk has 68 TD catches, Irvin has 65.

Monk has 12,721 receiving yards, Irvin has 11,904.

I just don't understand this.
    Last edited by BigGameMN; -02-04-2007 at 01:27 AM.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Re: Art Monk left out of the HOF again, Irvin selected

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    What a joke. How can that coke head go in ahead of a class act like Monk? What kind of message does this send to kids? Go about your business like a pro, put up great numbers and don't get in trouble off the field and you won't get into the Hall. Act like a clown, be an embarrassment to the NFL, and do as many drugs as you can and you get rewarded. Disgraceful.
    Lets not be too hard on Micheal Irvin. True the guy had some problems and Monk deserves to get in the hall before him but lets not loose sight of the fact that he is a sure fire HOFer too. Say what you want about Irvin, but he was a great team player.
    :l

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

OK maybe I was too harsh with the cokehead comment and I take that back. As far as being a team player goes, I wouldn't say he was. I watched an America's Game on one of the Cowboys teams and Alvin Harper made a critical catch that basically won them the game vs the *****. All Irvin did during his commentary was talk about how he should have caught that ball, how he was open. I mean come on, that catch won the game, and yet still he's complaining because he didn't catch it.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post

Let's take a look at some of these numbers.

Monk has 940 career receptions, Irvin has 750.

Monk has 68 TD catches, Irvin has 65.

Monk has 12,721 receiving yards, Irvin has 11,904.

I just don't understand this.
    Well, Monk did play for 15 years as opposed to Irvin's 12. On the other hand, the pass-happy version of the NFL had not fully developed in Monk's early years.

Unfortunately, I think Irvin's "marguee" status put him over the top. That's too bad. Part of the job of the HoF selection committee is to bring fame and status to exceptional players who might not otherwise be wide recognized among casual fans.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

What I don't like about this is that character does not even seem to be an issue with the voters. If this holds true you can forget about Bruce getting in or maybe Holt. They are just too quiet and don't get their name in the news enough. Maybe we need to draft a couple of felons this season.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Monk deserves to be in the HOF. It disturbs me that they picked Irvine over Monk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

It disturbs me when Irvin speaks. Yes, he was a team player - for South America's team!

In March of 1996, Irvin was arrested on charges of cocaine possession at a hotel party celebrating his 30th birthday. After numerous court appearances amid a national media circus, which featured Irvin showing up to court in a full-length mink coat, he pled no contest to the charges and was sentenced to community service, ordered to pay a $10,000 fine, and put on 4-years probation. When drug-tested for illicit drugs, he tested negative. But the NFL suspended Irvin for the first five games of the 1996 season.

Irvin was also known as a regular at the "White House", a private pleasure palace near the team's training facility, where he and some Dallas teammates, like lineman Nate Newton, allegedly enjoyed a variety of wanton activities, including drugs and illicit sex.
    A year following his retirement from the NFL, Irvin again was arrested on drug possession charges. In this case, Irvin was in a Dallas apartment with an unrelated woman. Neither answered the door when police drug task force agents arrived with a search warrant. Police entered the apartment forcibly, finding drugs. Irvin and the female were placed under arrest, though charges against Irvin were later dropped.
    The promises of a new lifestyle appeared to be short-lived, with Irvin again arrested on drug charges a mere two years later following his self-professed born again Christianity. In this case, Irvin was with his wife when he was pulled over in Plano, Texas for speeding on November 25, 2005. With probable cause, police searched his vehicle and found drug paraphernalia, including plastic bags with marijuana residue. Irvin was arrested for a Class C misdemeanor. He was later released on bond, with ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz saying only that: "We are reviewing the facts of the situation and have no comment at this time."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

moklerman is offline Registered User

but lets not loose sight of the fact that he is a sure fire HOFer too.
    Why do you think that? I've heard it more than once recently and I just don't understand why. His regular season numbers don't show him to be HOF worthy, his post season numbers aren't anything fantastic, he rarely outperformed the other top wide receivers from his era and he didn't play at a high level for a long period of time. 5 pro-bowl seasons out of 12 is HOF material now? 37th on the WR td's list is HOF worthy? 20th on the yardage list? He represents and does everything that the NFL punishes it's players for doing. He was a good receiver on a great team.

From that era, I would take Herman Moore, Sterling Sharpe and probably quite a few others over Michael Irvin if all things were equal. All of that's debatable of course but that's the best point of all. It can be argued that there were other receivers as good or better than Irvin at that time. That's hardly an endorsement for the Hall of Fame.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Okay, here are the stats of a few WRs from the modern (1980-present) era. Can you guess who is who?

Receptions/Yards/TDs

Player #1: 814/13,777/65

Player #2: 851/12,785/84

Player #3: 951/13,198/87

All three have more receptions, more yards, and as many or more TDs. None are in the Hall of Fame.

Answers
    #1: Henry Ellard
    #2: Irving Fryar
    #3: Andre Reed

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I'd rather hear a toilet flush, than hear the name Michael Irvin.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Congratulations, selection committee. Your inclusion of Irvin has made the Hall irrelevant and your credability lost. Good job, guys. Way to tarnish a life-time achievement goal for so many players.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod