ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Bears DE Alex Brown seeking trade

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CHI/10184941

CHICAGO (May 16, 2007) -- The Chicago Bears expect to see starting defensive end Alex Brown at their minicamp this weekend even though Brown says he's seeking a trade.

Brown told Sirius NFL Radio he asked the Bears for permission to work out a trade. But coach Lovie Smith plans to have Brown at the three-day minicamp beginning May 18.

"I just know we have a minicamp coming up this weekend and Alex has been working awful hard with our program," Smith said. "We'll see him there this weekend working out with us. So that's about all I can tell you right now."

Brown admitted he's comfortable with the Bears, but is eager to explore other opportunities. Still, he has three years remaining on his contract.

"We're just trying to see what's out there," Brown said. "That's what we're trying to do. It's not the Bears. They don't want to get rid of me. It's just that I want to see what else is out there.

"If it was up to me, I'd get a new contract here and play the rest of my career here. I totally understand some of the things the Bears are saying. We're handling this in a real low-key fashion and that's the way we want to keep it."

Brown had seven sacks last season in a very effective line rotation that helped Chicago reach the Super Bowl, where it lost to Indianapolis.

A fourth-round pick out of Florida in 2002, Brown signed a contract extension in 2004. He said when he broached the subject of a trade, the Bears told him, "No way. We love you. We don't want to get rid of you."

Added Brown: "It took a while to even get them to talk about it."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service
    :l :l :l :l

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Re: Bears DE Alex Brown seeking trade

"If it was up to me, I'd get a new contract here and play the rest of my career here.
    Didn't Briggs have the exact same quote? Seems strange they would both say it, but at the same time activley seek out of Chi town.

We're handling this in a real low-key fashion and that's the way we want to keep it."
    Sorry but so far its been really anything but low key, With the prior story in regards to this and now this one... I dunno, but thats no "low key" to me.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

The Shredder Guest

KC was in trade talks before the draft about acquiring him and it looks like they are in talks again.
    Last edited by HUbison; -05-22-2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: This thread is about Alex Brown, not the Chiefs D line.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I saw this on Yahoo sports:

"Defensive end Alex Brown admitted that he is the one who pushed the Bears to seek a trade before the draft. Brown went to the team repeatedly to make his wish to be traded known, and management looked long and hard for a partner. Brown's contract demands -- he's seeking in excess of $10 million guaranteed -- were more to blame than the team's asking price. Brown signed a five-year extension two years ago. Agent Joel Segal is close with GM Jerry Angelo, which makes the move even more puzzling. Brown won't command premium money because he doesn't rush the passer like top performers at his position. In fact, he might be out of a starting job soon. Mark Anderson cut into his play time and had 12 sacks, and it's expected Anderson will push Brown to the bench, perhaps before training camp. The Bears don't want to give Brown away because he does have value, but they selected end Dan Bazuin in the second round and there will not be enough snaps for everyone."